• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pigs - who in traps them?

Night vision is cheaper and easier than dogs. Ran dogs in the late 80’s and early 90’s. The hogs were not as prolific then. We would catch 6-10 most weekends. We would keep alive anything less than 40 lbs to feed and sell or train dogs with. We would clean the larger ones and sell them. In the early 2000’s people started buying them live to ship overseas. We had about 20 box traps and routinely trapped 20+ a week. We had a holding pen and would load them up once a week to take to sale. Hog prices went down and fuel prices went up so running traps became a loosing business. We then built large round pens with the funnels these worked ok until you get a big hog that turns your funel inside out. We retrofitted trap doors with tripwires and would catch up to 10 at a time. We had a feeder and water trough inside so we only had to check it once a week. We never caught any over about 250lbs in a trap. We once used a sow in heat as bait and had a large boar in the large trap until we drove up and he jumped the panel and ran off. The larger the hog the less likely they are to go in the loading chute. We routinely had to rope larger ones to load them.
These days I just shoot everyone I see. I give a lot of them to a family that eats them the rest I donate to the coyotes. When they get thick The preferred method is a single cattle panel with a trail of corn poured out in a straight line down the panel just a few inches off the panel. This gets the pigs in a line. I then setup on their level about 100yds away and shot through as many as I can with my .300RUM.
They are somewhat nomadic and will move one once you begin to disrupt their routine. If you can kill a couple out of a group they usually move on.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Night vision is cheaper and easier than dogs. Randogs in the late 80’s and early 90’s. The hogs were not as prolific then. We would catch 6-10 most weekends. We would keep alive anything less than 40 lbs to feed and sell or train dogs with. We would clean the larger ones and sell them. In the early 2000’s people started buying them live to ship overseas. We had about 20 box traps and routinely trapped 20+ a week. We had a holding pen and would load them up once a week to take to sale. Hog prices went down and fuel prices went up so running traps became a loosing business. We then built large round pens with the funnels these worked ok until you get a big hog that turns your funel inside out. We retrofitted trap doors with tripwires and would catch up to 10 at a time. We had a feeder and water trough inside so we only had to check it once a week. We never caught any over about 250lbs in a trap. We once used a sow in heat as bait and had a large boar in the large trap until we drove up and he jumped the panel and ran off. The larger the hog the less likely they are to go in the loading chute. We routinely had to rope larger ones to load them.
These days I just shoot everyone I see. I give a lot of them to a family that eats them the rest I donate to the coyotes. When they get thick The preferred method is a single cattle panel with a trail of corn poured out in a straight line down the panel just a few inches off the panel. This gets the pigs in a line. I then setup on their level about 100yds away and shot through as many as I can with my .300RUM.
They are somewhat nomadic and will move one once you begin to disrupt their routine. If you can kill a couple out of a group they usually move on.
Good luck.
Lmk when you wanna come over

This is about 100 yards from my house. Happened Friday night/Saturday morning
b2bb1d31effb5268bf4202a75bf39068.jpg

Last edited:
Grendel and thermal works well.

Attachments

• 2961A24C-FF2E-477E-803F-64513F66AA28.jpg
    2961A24C-FF2E-477E-803F-64513F66AA28.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 177
Grendel and thermal works well.
That's a good haul!

Got a few different packs that move through here. Lots little ones

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's what amazes me about this whole problum in Texas , every wild pig I've killed was the best eating ever and at the price of pork in the grocery store these days it seemed like you would have hunters banging at your door wanting to harvest pigs . When I hunted if there was a pig in sight it hit the dirt first , if the deer hung around I got twice as much sausage . I cooked my fair share of whole hog years ago too but I don't eat that much any more and don't hunt either so I guess I'm part of the problum .

You are tempting fate if you eat wild pigs. You have to realize what is in their meat and you might change your mind. None of the wild pigs have vaccination or anything that makes them safer to eat than your market variety bacon and pork. Not saying it is not feasible, just saying you better get it in the grill the minute you kill it and grill it or otherwise you are gonna have some little creepy crawlies looking out your poopshoot for daylight...

This is cautionary material produced by the CDC just for those who handle hogs and how to prevent them from making you sick.

https://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/pdf/brucellosis_and_hoghunters.pdf

Best course of action we had for them a long time ago when I hunted them down in South Texas for farmers that wanted them out of their feed fields was to kill them them as efficiently as possible. We used use dogs to track them down and pin them and revolver or a knife to put them down, depending on how big and mean they were, and then have a pit handy to drag them into and burn off...

You are tempting fate if you eat wild pigs. You have to realize what is in their meat and you might change your mind. None of the wild pigs have vaccination or anything that makes them safer to eat than your market variety bacon and pork. Not saying it is not feasible, just saying you better get it in the grill the minute you kill it and grill it or otherwise you are gonna have some little creepy crawlies looking out your poopshoot for daylight...

This is cautionary material produced by the CDC just for those who handle hogs and how to prevent them from making you sick.

https://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/pdf/brucellosis_and_hoghunters.pdf

Best course of action we had for them a long time ago when I hunted them down in South Texas for farmers that wanted them out of their feed fields was to kill them them as efficiently as possible. We used use dogs to track them down and pin them and revolver or a knife to put them down, depending on how big and mean they were, and then have a pit handy to drag them into and burn off...

Wow ... this hit very close to home.

And there is just as much propaganda claiming that all those chemicals ingested from genetically altered food, vaccines and hormones do harm to a person's auto-immune system.

Your digestive tract is just like the septic system in my backyard. Creepy crawlies are required in order to break down and extract nutrients and discard the bad stuff.

Unknowingly stuffing chemicals down the gullet without complete understanding of what they are, what they do and how your body reacts is just as foolish.

The CDC is a government agency and we all know the government is here to help the citizens and not the corporate farms that grow the food we see on our grocery store shelves. Don't be a sheeple ...

Where I hunted the last few years, I knew what the animals ate, what they drank and how they lived. And most importantly, I knew exactly how they were harvested and the bounty subsequently protected.

Can you say that about your can of beanie weenies? :eat3:
Do you read the labels of what you are ingesting?

Since we have begun rejecting GMO and processed foods, my wife hasn't had an ER visit because of low sodium or tract blockages. It wasn't until we found an endocrinologist that really understood the importance of what we ingest that she has had an event free 4 years.

Dr's tested her unmercifully for allergies and prescribed all kinds of pills ... all chemicals ... and nothing worked. My getting on a lease and harvesting our own protein has been a God-send and opened our collective eyes.

We find local farmers and purchase fresh foods. She cans and preserves most of what she ingests. Won a couple blue ribbons at the State Fair in fact.

What is unfortunate is that it requires a tremendous effort, is not cheap and isn't comprehensive. Certain foods and ingredients just aren't easy to find, make or purchase.

Research GMO ... it'll change your life.

Amen mitchntx. I grew up poor and hunted to put meat on the table. Rabbits, squirrel, deer, pigs, javelinas. We also butchered a calf each year which never had an injection. Even managed to put a wild turkey on the table one thanksgiving, and somehow managed to live to be old and fairly healthy. And as I posted earlier, there’s a fresh young porker quartered up in my freezer .

Used to have a neighbor that would go around to the restaurants and pick up their food waste to feed out his pigs, then sell em at the market for public consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you will do a search, A&M agrilife has some good hog trap plans using cattle panels and t posts. Basically it looks like a 6 or 9. Just be sure that you check it regularly. Shooting them while fun is not as effective as trapping the group.

Back