• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brian "Texas T" Thorn - The Woodlands

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
I just realized that while I've been here for months, I never put any info into this forum so here goes...

I rode a KZ650 "back in the day" and then sold it just prior to getting married the first time. That was followed by divorce, new GF, marriage, kid, transfers/relocations, etc. We've (Brenda, Justin & I) have been in Texas since 1991 and I hit the big 5-O later this year so I decided to head off the mid-life crisis before it bit me big.

Did the MSF thing last year and then started buying safety gear a little at a time while I did the research on what I wanted to ride. Thought I wanted a Wing until I saw the prices, liked the ST1100 but still a little pricy for me. Briefly looked at the FJR1300, but way outside of my budgetary constraints. Then I read some articles on the Kawasaki Concours and found out about the Concours Owners Group (COG), started reading all about this old-timey bike and began looking for one to buy.

In Feb one of the members posted that one was for sale near him and stated the price and mileage. Both seemed too low to be correct so I emailed him to confirm. He also agreed to look the bike over for me, handled acceptance of the cashiers check from me, handled the transfer of the bike from the owner, stored the bike for me until Haul Bikes could pick it up and was an overall "GREAT GUY" and a typical COG member.

The bike arrived on a Friday night so it sat in the garage overnight. In the morning it got a well deserved bath, a quick ride around the block (first time I'd ever ridden this model), and then geared up for the ride to the inspection station. Got my sticker and then proceeded to ride up to Huntsville to visit Scott and Beth (I'd been a member here for a while) and fought 25-30 mph crosswinds the whole way. Scott gave me some directions for a better ride home and the addiction had fully grasped me by that point.

There are plenty more photos, ride reports, and whatnot on my SITE if you are so inclined to be bored even further.

The nickname of the Concours is "Connie" in case you were wondering about the significance of the photo location.
connie_sign_resized.jpg

Nice photo, Brian.

Now I am off to check your other pics...
:-D

I'm back - you need a picture of the back - so folks will recognize the bike when following you. :roll:

Saw a red Connie parked next to my 'Strom when I came out of church yesterday - never seen it before - but it WAS pretty. :-D

Well, it's about time you made the "formal" introduction. You seem to be stuck with this addiction, that's for sure. I don't think you really mind, though...

Squeaky said:
Well, it's about time you made the "formal" introduction. You seem to be stuck with this addiction, that's for sure. I don't think you really mind, though...
I think the people on this forum have as much to do with my addiction as the motorcycle does.
:clap :chug: :clap

Just showing off my new Frank Thomas leathers won in the Brian Montgomery benefit raffle. Thanks Cycle Gear!
leathers4.jpg

Could you possibly look any more uncomfortable?? :lol: Are you standing on your tiptoes? :scratch

No, actually I was flat-footed in my socks so I cropped the photo at the ankles. :-D

So... I need to take another shot with me smiling ear to ear? :mrgreen:

Yah. Racer-boy. ;-)

Nice leathers, Brian! 8-)

Texas T said:
I just realized that while I've been here for months, I never put any info into this forum so here goes...

I rode a KZ650 "back in the day" and then sold it just prior to getting married the first time. That was followed by divorce, new GF, marriage, kid, transfers/relocations, etc. We've (Brenda, Justin & I) have been in Texas since 1991 and I hit the big 5-O later this year so I decided to head off the mid-life crisis before it bit me big.

Did the MSF thing last year and then started buying safety gear a little at a time while I did the research on what I wanted to ride. Thought I wanted a Wing until I saw the prices, liked the ST1100 but still a little pricy for me. Briefly looked at the FJR1300, but way outside of my budgetary constraints. Then I read some articles on the Kawasaki Concours and found out about the Concours Owners Group (COG), started reading all about this old-timey bike and began looking for one to buy.

In Feb one of the members posted that one was for sale near him and stated the price and mileage. Both seemed too low to be correct so I emailed him to confirm. He also agreed to look the bike over for me, handled acceptance of the cashiers check from me, handled the transfer of the bike from the owner, stored the bike for me until Haul Bikes could pick it up and was an overall "GREAT GUY" and a typical COG member.

The bike arrived on a Friday night so it sat in the garage overnight. In the morning it got a well deserved bath, a quick ride around the block (first time I'd ever ridden this model), and then geared up for the ride to the inspection station. Got my sticker and then proceeded to ride up to Huntsville to visit Scott and Beth (I'd been a member here for a while) and fought 25-30 mph crosswinds the whole way. Scott gave me some directions for a better ride home and the addiction had fully grasped me by that point.

There are plenty more photos, ride reports, and whatnot on my SITE if you are so inclined to be bored even further.

The nickname of the Concours is "Connie" in case you were wondering about the significance of the photo location.
connie_sign_resized.jpg

~~~~~~~Well sir, I enjoyed going into the Site, it wasnt soooo boring after all.~~~Your piece was interesting and well written, I say. That 78 Kiwasocki was a clean machine. How much were you able to get for it? cheers, WillieT

Willie TKana said:
That 78 Kiwasocki was a clean machine. How much were you able to get for it? cheers, WillieT
Unfortunately, those aren't photos of MY bike as I only have two rear end shots of mine, neither of which I have scanned yet. As to selling it, I don't remember what I sold it for as that was 25+ years ago. I think I only paid $2400 for the bike to begin with, so I probably only got about $1500 - $1800.

Texas T said:
Willie TKana said:
That 78 Kiwasocki was a clean machine. How much were you able to get for it? cheers, WillieT
Unfortunately, those aren't photos of MY bike as I only have two rear end shots of mine, neither of which I have scanned yet. As to selling it, I don't remember what I sold it for as that was 25+ years ago. I think I only paid $2400 for the bike to begin with, so I probably only got about $1500 - $1800.

<>Oh I see. I didnt realize the Red Bike Photo wasn't the 78 you owned, but a Photo of another one, or something. and so 4h.
<>willieT<>

Back