• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Typical California Lane Splitting

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
Always a big debate. Most people against it have never done it. If done properly its beneficial to everyone on the road. You can't be timid and need to have good balance of your bike. Watch the front wheel or nose of the cars you want to get by that will let you know if they are coming over. Make sure you can judge the width of your bike on the move. Don't just ride along with the cars your splitting get on by them. Keep your clutch & brakes covered and a thumb close to the horn. Watch for cars crossing the double yellow to get into the car pool lane without checking to see if its clear. Treat it the same as if you were riding in an area at night that has a lot of deer...........Typical Lunch Time.....[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6fEv8zZqb4"]Typical California Lane Splitting - YouTube[/ame]

Thinking of the number of car doors suddenly opening here in the metroplex..................
The natives don't take kindly to others getting there first.

Thinking of the number of car doors suddenly opening here in the metroplex..................

Well don't do it here in Cali....Because you will be at fault for any damage or injuries you do..

Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers
1) Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
2) Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
3) Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
4) Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

Between those white stripes is MY lane, and I have the right to be anywhere in that lane. You'd have a **** of a time proving that the vehicle driver did anything 'intentionally'. YOU are the one trespassing in MY R.O.W.
2. If you are coming up the stripe while I am making a legal lane change, YOU are the one passing where prohibited.
Don't try it in TEXAS.
With 1.8 MILLION miles on these roads, and 200,000+ miles on motorcycles, I'd suggest you get more experience before telling me how 'safe' it is.

Last edited:
Between those white stripes is MY lane, and I have the right to be anywhere in that lane. You'd have a **** of a time proving that the vehicle driver did anything 'intentionally'. YOU are the one trespassing in MY R.O.W.
2. If you are coming up the stripe while I am making a legal lane change, YOU are the one passing where prohibited.
Don't try it in TEXAS.
With 1.8 MILLION miles on these roads, and 200,000+ miles on motorcycles, I'd suggest you get more experience before telling me how 'safe' it is.

Well its idiots with your mentality that are the real danger out there. We are allowed to split here and I'm from Texas so i know how stupid people there can be.

Last edited:

Don't try it in TEXAS.

I split lanes on and off in Fort Worth and Dallas for 5 years. In 5 years I had 2 people try to squeeze me and maybe 5 honk their horns at me. Most people are too wrapped up in their own little world in their bubble (cage) to notice ****.

California and Texas have almost identical lane use and signaling codes in their vehicle codes. And neither one has laws for or against motorcycle lane splitting. It's simply an accepted practice in California. A driver sideswiped me while I was splitting. He changed lanes with no blinker while I was passing by him. No crash he basically "pushed" me to the left and I stopped on the shoulder. No damage to my bike (Givi E21 saddlebags) but a few scratches and dents on his Fox body Mustang. He was found at fault.

Now that wouldn't be how it unfolded in Texas more than likely but I don't think it would be a simple cut and dry "it's the motorcyclist's fault".

Also I'd have to research some more but I'm pretty sure opening your door at random on an active road is illegal. Could be wrong on that one though.

Thankfully most of Texas doesn't have traffic bad enough to warrant splitting lanes. I'll tell you it's a huge time saver out here. My 20 mile commute can take up to an hour in the Jeep in the afternoon, on the bike it's a 30 minute trip tops even in awful traffic. In the mornings I'm going to work so early it doesn't matter haha.

Here's an example of my commute
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5fZgBRktOs"]DAILY COMMUTE - YouTube[/ame]

Well its idiots with your mentality that are the real danger out there. We are allowed to split here and I'm from Texas so i know how stupid people there are.

No kidding...Mikes old virago will be the first one to brake check ya and fake a lane change to rattle a motorcyclist. Probably clogs the left lane in fast traffic too. Steer clear of Mike....it's his space.

Good video Jo, normal and efficient transportation.

No kidding...Mikes old virago will be the first one to brake check ya and fake a lane change to rattle a motorcyclist. Probably clogs the left lane in fast traffic too. Steer clear of Mike....it's his space.

Good video Jo, normal and efficient transportation.

Thanks, I posted the video to show how it should be done. There are a lot of videos were guys are being a kamikaze out there and its not the norm. Those guys wind up dead or wish they were. I was hit while lane sharing in 2011 the guy decided to make a u-turn as i was coming up on his left side.(He didn't check his mirror to see if it was clear) He hit me then crossed over a double yellow. It was 100% his fault his insurance had to pay for my bike and gear and then it cost them a $50,000 settlement for my medical, lawyer and injuries.

Hey, Mike's a great guy and would never do such a thing. It's possible to disagree without getting nasty. :)

I have been splitting off and on for a long time now with nary an incident. Mike, I'd estimate that since I started commuting on the bike here in CA in January, I've made my 28 mile round trip commute about 30 times with no problem- so that just leaves me 199,160 more miles to go... ;)

California lane splitting on my VTX- if you notice, the _majority_ of drivers either leave room or actively move over for motorcycles:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r--ul1hMNk0&t=7m"]GOPR0704 - YouTube[/ame]

Texas lane splitting, also on my VTX- less moving over, but plenty of space, even with bags, an engine guard, and big retro-style bars...:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVCUF1z8C_g"]Texas Lane Splitting - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Lane splitting threads are worse than oil threads :doh: For the first time every I agree with Cheez "It's possible to disagree without getting nasty."

I agree with Mike. You stay in your lane and I will stay in mine. It's hard enough to be seen on a bike as is with out driving by someone in their lane . Also, motorcyclist in general often get lumped into the same group. A squid, Harley guy and person in full gear riding a BMW is one in the same to Joe Shmoe. Most of the time it is not a positive image. When you lane split are you helping the image or perpetuating it? Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it.

There is a whole other thread about how dangerous it is to ride side by side on motorcycles in one lane. Most of us agree on that. Why would I want to be riding side by side with a car and a motorcycle.

Last edited:
^^^^ You're not doing it at 70 or 80 MPH. My personal limit for splitting is 40ish. Usually 35 unless traffic is doing the speed up slow down accordion thing.

I've observed lane splitting/sharing in SoCal and it's seamless. Didn't try it when there in 2011 'cause the C-14, w/bags, is abt 3-ax-handles wide (and I'd have lost my ridin' bud in the evening traffic heading out of Anaheim => Riverside => Phoenix since he was in a truck with my Brick in the bed).

Absent the truck/Brick consideration, I'd have been right behind another bike, riding the lines, even with the big-a** Connie.

The thought of splitting in Dallas evening traffic gives me the Willies. Heck, the thought of driving thru there almost does - well, not really, I've done that pulling a trailer several times, and I'm gonna do it again Saturday, but just up to Love Field area then back down I35E to I20 and . . . . GONE, West!

There's a big difference when the drivers are used to it, expect it, and it's more commonplace. I've always said that if it becomes legal in Texas that I'll probably wait a year before trying it.

I haven't ever tried it so have no thoughts on it, though the research I've seen points to it being a generally good idea. I've known several folks who moved here from California who gave up riding because they felt more at risk here even not splitting. It's an entirely different driving culture, and California is even different from many foreign countries who support it even more.

Also, miles and experience does not equal knowledge. It could simply mean someone is more stuck in their ways and unwilling to be open to new or different ideas.

Back