• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hi - New Member in Katy

Reaction score
Joined last night as I was signing up for the MexTrek in October. I have spent most of my time riding outside of Texas, since I like mountains. But it looks like I'm missing out in my home State. I've written up our past rides on the Adventure Rider site (www.advrider.com) under the same name, TrialRun. The blog is "Life Outside The Box." I'm not going to repost those here.

I started out with a 2007 Heritage Classic. Here we are in the Black Hills:
UVBNTFGODg6OGFjNTg4OGFmZTkxMzc0MjViNWYxZmQzM2NkYWQ2NjM=?uid=fabde0c7-38d6-4053-8d93-48c6f0a20155.jpg

Later, I decided to do dirt/gravel and bought a used DR650. Started with this:
UVBNTFGODg6NTVjNTRhOGQ2YWU4NDkzZTYyMWY1YzBlZDFmMDRlZWQ=?uid=d6783f99-9c0e-4acb-8856-f2105ef4a994.jpg

And morphed it into this (Picture in Arivaca, AZ just north of the Mexican border):
UVBNTFGODg6MmQ5YzFkZDQ2YzZjY2ZhMGVkNmIwOWE2YWUxMTdlMDI=?uid=e7949925-5f45-4cba-b80c-6d50eefc703b.jpg

Normally wouldn't have so much piled up on the back. But I had the Wolfman side bags pulled in too tight against the muffler the day before and almost burned the whole thing up.

Had trouble with the DR in parts of Moab (wrong tool for the job - too heavy in the deeper sand for me with my abilities(or lack thereof)). Ended up with a bad wrist and a broken rib(two separate crashes). So came home and bought a TW200 for exploring around (picture outside of Red River, NM):
UVBNTFGODg6MjQxNGYxZjhjMTdlMDdhYzY0YjhmOTU5ZDc2ZmIyMTk=?uid=f4f0fc25-dbcc-455b-9559-c43ed9f3a3a8.jpg

So that's where we are now. A HD for when Mrs. TR comes along, a DR for me to go on Class 1 and 2 rides and a TW for anything (you just do it slower). Normally, we travel across the country in our pickup/Alaskan camper and pull the bikes to a central location:
UVBNTFGODg6ODM0NDUxNjFlZDUyYWVjOWY5NjY2Mzg1ZjNjYTliYzY=?uid=1422bde5-5b52-4cc8-88ac-e8c1efa87261.jpg

If she's with me, we do mostly road rides. If alone, I don't take the HD at all and take the DR and TW and stay on the dirt/gravel as much as possible.

Looking forward to riding in Texas/Mexico some.

Welcome to the site, try to join the the lone Wednesday night riders @ Katy Bike Night.

Howdy neighbor!
I live in Cypress and ride this area often. These folks here at TWT put on great rides and fun to ride with! Glad to see a fellow DR650 rider too!
Welcome!!

Welcome from the Southwest contingent.

I'm guessing you saw plenty of illegals and/or Border Patrol when you were in the Arivaca area. ;-)

Texas T - Thanks, and yes, Border Patrol seems to be the biggest business in the area.

Welcome, Greg. Come join us this Wednesday at Marini's, if you can. See link in above post.

Back