• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gulf Coast BMW

The last post is almost 7 years old so I wanted to chime in with an update, in my case positive. This year I had 2 separate **** jobs that needed doing, which I could have done myself if I wanted to have my bike apart for a couple of weeks. New heated grips and a burned out headlight bulb - in both cases they were able to take care of me while I waited.

Both jobs done to my full satisfaction at a reasonable price.

While I was waiting on the grips they encouraged me to test ride a GS and a Triumph back to back. :trust: ... Who volunteers test rides these days??

The staff is super friendly. The shop is well stocked with bikes and gear. So a big thumbs up for Gulf Coast.

Dave.

Just letting everyone know that I am now the General Manager at Gulf Coast BMW. We have hired a third full time technician. So we are able to do service and warranty work and tire changes more quickly now.

I know this thread is out of date. However, if any of you have any concerns or issues that you would like to address, please feel free to stop by and chat with me in person.

All the best,

I have been to GCBMW many times and would not hesitate to do business with them. Perhaps they had early troubles but they a very good place to do business with. So far, so good.

Just letting everyone know that I am now the General Manager at Gulf Coast BMW. We have hired a third full time technician. So we are able to do service and warranty work and tire changes more quickly now.

I know this thread is out of date. However, if any of you have any concerns or issues that you would like to address, please feel free to stop by and chat with me in person.

All the best,

Good to see you 'stepping up'.
There will always be issues with servicing bikes and pleasing customers, bad stories are not good for the business. Good luck in your new position.

Last week I saw this thread. Since I had to go by Hobby airport and was in the neighborhood, I stopped to check Gulf Coast out on Friday. They had a great selection of bikes and gear. This isn't a new style super store but a well thought out store worth a visit. They are low key but attentive and knowledgeable on bikes and gear. They offered a test ride on a bike that caught my eye. Next day a friend and I went over and after a bunch of shameful hemming and hawing on my part (I was a bit intimidated by the bike to be honest), we went for the ride. I didn't need to be intimidated as it turned out great. The bike had the great ergos I'm looking for and I'm stilling thinking about the boxer engine. Very different from my FJR. Anyway, if you get chance might check them out. Steve and Josh know their bikes and don't mind spending time with customers asking lots of stupid questions.

All the best,

I believe I bought a used Ninja 250 from you about 8 years back. Maybe I will buy a new R9T scrambler from you when those come out! :sun:

Well, I feel the need to chime in here. Perhaps Stephen can give me some kind of honest answer. I purchased a F800GT from GC on July 7. I put a hefty cash down, and financed the rest with BMW Financial. To this date, I have yet to make a payment because BMW Financial has never received anything from them. So here I am now, was unable to ride the bike since Sept.5 when the temp tag expired, altho told weeks ago they'd send another temp tag, I only just got one yesterday after calling yet again last week, Josh finally sent it. I've never been given a reason for the delay, only flimsy excuses. I guess it's nice to have a bike I don't have to pay for, except I won't be able to ride it for long. And Stephen, Megan or Josh should know who I am. It has really eroded my confidence in the dealer, makes me feel like since I didn't spend $23K on a GS or RT, they're not so concerned about me.

So here we are, another month later and still no plate or registration. Called again, get flimsy excuses.... we can't help what takes the state so long. well, that's just BS!! the state doesn't take 4 months. I doubt paperwork was ever submitted. A big thumbs down for Gulf Coast. And Stephen must not care much either or read this forum, he never replied to me.

Ouch. That's no good. Hope it gets straightened out soon. Glad I never purchased there. I attempted to purchase 2 different Triumphs from them, but they were unwilling to deal. One was even a demo bike. I ended up at Polaris West and the salesman started dealing right away and it worked. I bought one that day.

On the BMW side of Gulf Coast, the salesman just wanted to tell me how awesome of a rider he was. He didn't seem interested in actually selling a bike...and that worked too! I didn't buy one haha.

So here we are, another month later and still no plate or registration. Called again, get flimsy excuses.... we can't help what takes the state so long. well, that's just BS!! the state doesn't take 4 months. I doubt paperwork was ever submitted. A big thumbs down for Gulf Coast. And Stephen must not care much either or read this forum, he never replied to me.

Sounds to me like your original application for credit was lost/misplaced. If they lost your documents,they should let you know. I am in the car business and it normally takes only about two-three weeks for the metal tags to come in from the state. Have you tried to get your down payment back and go elsewhere? I would contact BMW financial directly and have your copies out of your contract so they can figure out what really happened. Let them do the leg work. Even if your contract was never turned in there has to be someone there who can assist you.

Sounds to me like your hefty down may have disappeared with someone and no paperwork was done at all

You have all your paperwork and a signed receipt for your cash deposit?

Not unheard of, there was a rider on ADV a few years ago with the same complaint - months to get his paperwork. The big question is if Stephen Porter is still with Gulf Coast. A few years ago I thought they were going to turn it around when they brought Dominic down from Denver. He made some smart service changes, visited all the local clubs to drive up business and then was gone. Is GSer still there?

Some of the guys in the BMW club of Houston love the place. I started with them decades ago for Meriden Triumph parts and the service out of their staff sent me to Austin and Lone Star when I bought my first BMW. I'm embarrassed to admit how many chances I gave them. Then again, not every dealer makes every customer happy.

I do have my paperwork and receipts. By the time I realized that something is wrong, the end of August, I had already put over $500 worth of farkles on it. And then thought, well, I signed to buy it so I don't know what all would be entailed to try and undo the deal, besides I love the bike. I did get a call back from a woman who said she would go down to dmv and get a duplicate plate. We'll see, I'll let ya know.

I do have my paperwork and receipts. By the time I realized that something is wrong, the end of August, I had already put over $500 worth of farkles on it. And then thought, well, I signed to buy it so I don't know what all would be entailed to try and undo the deal, besides I love the bike. I did get a call back from a woman who said she would go down to dmv and get a duplicate plate. We'll see, I'll let ya know.

That is good news.:clap: But how about your payments that have not been made because you have no payment booklet? Not your fault. Hard to make your note without a account number and address to send it to.:giveup: You figured by now BMW financial services would have sent the repo man after the bike. Something fishy is going on. Another question is your original plate running around on someone elses bike? How did they loose a metal plate and your registration paperwork?

I had the same problem with a local automobile establishment. I contacted Wilco SO and told them I feared my money had been fraudulently misplaced. The deputy made a call and magically my plates appeared the next day.

LOL KP, I've wondered the same thing. BMW financial assured me it would not reflect on credit, as I don't have an account yet and therefore not missed a payment. When she said duplicate plate, I stated I didn't think they ever got one in the first place.

LOL KP, I've wondered the same thing. BMW financial assured me it would not reflect on credit, as I don't have an account yet and therefore not missed a payment. When she said duplicate plate, I stated I didn't think they ever got one in the first place.

That right there is just crazy. Folks somebody dropped the ball on this deal. Sounds to me like the dealership did NOT turn in your paperwork into BMW financial. Maybe it got lost with the first plate.:rofl: Wonder if they are going to try to re-contract you? That might be your way out if you wish. Applications for credit are only good for 30 days as far as I understand.

Last edited:
Went through a similar deal with a dealer years ago. Kept getting the run around. Someone told me to go through the state dmv, forget department but when the state sent them a letter I had my title immediately. Funny how that happens.

But I would be very nervous with a big down payment, hope you have all receipts and good luck.

Have you considered going the Texas Department of Transportation route? They are the state agency who regulates dealerships and if you spelled out your timeline and actions to simply get a title and payment book in your name for something you've paid for, they might put pressure on the dealership in the form of an audit.

Let them know you've done everything you can think of, and you feel as though you may have lost your down payment with a licensed dealership and might possibly be in possession of a stolen bike at this time. Also let them know you're tired of not being able to ride the bike as they don't respond with providing "TEMP" tags while the paperwork is in process in a timely or regular manner.

Go to who regulates dealerships and see where that takes you....

Wonder if the deal did not get funded for one reason or another? A app is good for just 30 days........so you might.........if you want to keep the bike have to go back in and resubmit a application for credit and resign for the bike. But aren't you buying a used bike now.:trust: Sounds like you deserve a big discount.:deal: What exactly did BMW finance tell you? Did they ever put their eyes on your app you did at the dealership? So you have a copy of the contract you signed at the dealership?

Last edited:
Back