• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help me spend money

M0102

Reaction score
I've been trying to buy a truck now for a few weeks and keep having them sold out from under me. I'm only wanting to spend $3500 for a truck. It's only purpose is to load a bike in the back and go to the adv mx track or CTOR. I've never been to either so information about those would also be appreciated. I'll probably drive down to advmx Thursday and poke around

I currently have an accord and my wife drives a kia soul. I thought about getting a hitch and small trailer for my accord but I don't know where I could store a trailer at my house.

I want to get back into dirt/track riding. I'm only 26 and road a lot at local tracks growing up in CA. After I get the truck I'll start looking for a 250 2 stroke or ktm300 to buy and maybe a cheap xr100 ttr125 crf230 ect. to teach my wife on

I'm just looking for a heads up on trucks on CL or ones someone may know of that are mechanically sound with a/c :-P. I start back to school tomorrow so I won't have as much time available to browse the web

thanks
Mitchell

If you have a garage, a Kendon style trailer is ideal. Someone makes a Chinese knockoff for a third of the price that actually works well.

Good luck. Took me 6 months to find a decent replacement for my bike hauler totaled last Christmas for a reasonable amount of money. Had the same problem; good ones went quick and others were garbage. Kickstand~prophet (Drew) on this forum found a few options for me when I was looking over in your area. You might send him a PM about what you're looking for.

FWIW, Silverbullet and I pulled two 650 dualsports to Las Vegas on a folding trailer behind a Honda Fit. I did it the year before in an V8 Explorer and would swap the minor discomfort of being in a smaller car for two days for $400 in gas savings any time. I think SB's trailer was a Harbor Freight Irontron, but you would have to talk to him for confirmation.

Last edited:
Chevy/GMC between 2001 and 2005 can be found in that price range.
The 5.3/4L60E combination is capable of well in excess of 200K miles.

I was in a similar market ... a suburban ... for the wife. Found an 02 with 147K miles and paid $3K for it.

Needed the typical GM repairs ... window motors, AC compressor and front seat recovered. But it's been bullet proof since putting it in good running order.

If I can get 3 years out of it, I think I can still sell it and recoup a huge chunk of my investment. Or, run the wheels off of it and find another.

But you can't mess around or its gone

If you have a garage, a Kendon style trailer is ideal. Someone makes a Chinese knockoff for a third of the price that actually works well.

I didn't know something like that existed. It looks like it wouldn't stick out more than my water softener. I'll have to look more into a tow hitch for my accord. thanks

I currently have an accord and my wife drives a kia soul. I thought about getting a hitch and small trailer for my accord but I don't know where I could store a trailer at my house...

For infrequent use consider just renting a trailer from U-Haul. Daily rental starts at $15 so will take you 4 rentals just to exceed your annual registration cost if you buy your own trailer. Plus no maintenace or storage concerns.

Even your Kia Soul will pull a light trailer just fine. Hitch can be had for less than $100 with an easy no drill installation.

_

Mitchell what size truck are you trying to locate? Full size or S-10/Ranger size?

Chevy/GMC between 2001 and 2005 can be found in that price range.
The 5.3/4L60E combination is capable of well in excess of 200K miles.

I was in a similar market ... a suburban ... for the wife. Found an 02 with 147K miles and paid $3K for it.

Needed the typical GM repairs ... window motors, AC compressor and front seat recovered. But it's been bullet proof since putting it in good running order.

If I can get 3 years out of it, I think I can still sell it and recoup a huge chunk of my investment. Or, run the wheels off of it and find another.

But you can't mess around or its gone

Yeah I had a 2007 single cab silverado V6 with 145k miles I had lined upd to buy yesterday for $3500. The seller stopped talking to me when I needed the address and raised the price 500 in his ad and it was sold within a couple hours. The used truck market here is unreal. It's like all the bidding wars when I was trying to buy a home all over again :doh:

Mitchell what size truck are you trying to locate? Full size or S-10/Ranger size?

I'm not picky. b2300 and silverado reg cabs just seem to be in my price range without crazy miles so that's what I've been looking at.

I'm going to look more into those kendon trailers someone else posted and see if it's possible to get one of those and the hitch and wiring install on my accord all in for under 2k. If not, I'll probably lean more towards buying a truck again

I'm not picky. b2300 and silverado reg cabs just seem to be in my price range without crazy miles so that's what I've been looking at.

I'm going to look more into those kendon trailers someone else posted and see if it's possible to get one of those and the hitch and wiring install on my accord all in for under 2k. If not, I'll probably lean more towards buying a truck again

Trucks are sky high here in Texas. Where I live there seems to be more pickups than cars.

That 07 was a steal if you could have landed that one. The seller sounds like they did some research and realized he was way under book.

For the Kendon try here or craigslist. You can put a few bikes in the bed of a truck also and avoid the extra cost of the trailer.

For infrequent use consider just renting a trailer from U-Haul. Daily rental starts at $15 so will take you 4 rentals just to exceed your annual registration cost if you buy your own trailer. Plus no maintenace or storage concerns.

Even your Kia Soul will pull a light trailer just fine. Hitch can be had for less than $100 with an easy no drill installation.

_

I just ordered a hitch for my accord. It was $177 for the hitch, plug and play wiring, and a 2" ball hitch. I wish my accord was MT but well see how it goes. I'll probably do the u-haul idea until I find one on CL. Those u haul motorcycle trailers are almost 600lbs empty though which seems hefty for a motorcycle trailer

Ok, so first off, I'm like "I LOVE helping people spend money."

Then I saw you say you wanted to spend $3500 on a truck and figured I couldn't help you out.

Then I saw you had an Accord and someone mentioned Kendon. Well sir, step right up, I'm here to help you spend your money!!! Whatever you need to know, I'll be happy to help.

Here's how my DRZ went from Dallas to Robbinsville NC and back this past June....on a Kendon behind my wife's new to her 2014 Accord.

20160625_180647_HDR_zps7scdzvhy.jpg

Ok, so first off, I'm like "I LOVE helping people spend money."

Then I saw you say you wanted to spend $3500 on a truck and figured I couldn't help you out.

Then I saw you had an Accord and someone mentioned Kendon. Well sir, step right up, I'm here to help you spend your money!!! Whatever you need to know, I'll be happy to help.

Here's how my DRZ went from Dallas to Robbinsville NC and back this past June....on a Kendon behind my wife's new to her 2014 Accord.

20160625_180647_HDR_zps7scdzvhy.jpg

That's the set up I'm shooting for. I found a trailer that's very close to me. However the website I ordered my hitch from appears to have a reputation of very slow shipping. I would of just tried to source everything with amazon prime if I knew that prior, then I could capitalize on the nothingness I have to do this weekend. I'll be searching for 250 2 strokes for around 3k next:clap:

Is your Accord also an automatic? I read mixed reviews on towing with automatic Hondas.

If you're only towing local and in Texas you have nothing to worry about with an automatic Honda. If you were to do some long cross country towing, heavy load, interstate speeds and driving over the mountain passes and grades I would suggest investing in a transmission cooler to be safe but even then probably not an absolute must have.

If you Googled and found the automatic Honda towing concerns make sure it was "towing with a auto Honda" and not "towing an auto Honda". More concern with towing a Honda than towing with a Honda.

_

Etrailer is fast and cheap. I purchased several hitches from them. Their installation videos rock!

Last edited:
Curt hitch and Curt electrical connection from Amazon Prime to my door. I also ordered tin snips because I didn't have any and you need some for this model to trim the heat shields and because I can't seem to do a project without buying a new tool too.

Car is an auto, but it's also the V6 model. I had no issues, but the Kendon is so light and the bike is pretty darn light that just moving it around by myself is super easy, so not too bad on the car. The kendon is so well balanced and light that I can literally move it around unloaded with one or two fingers. No high mountain passes on this trip.

Only issue I encountered is that Curt has two connection kits for the Accord, one with LED lights and one without. I didn't realize this and didn't think about it and ordered and hooked up the wrong one. Looking at the application chart on the box showed me my error. Amazon took the old one back even with my crappy repacking of a wiring harness and sold me the right one for about $10 more.

I bought a folding trailer from harbor freight. It handled the ST1300 fine. The accord did fine too.

bike053.jpg

biketrailer001.jpg

This morning (Aug. 30) there is a Kendon posted on CL in Weatherford. The ad says it was used for less than 500 miles, asking price is 1750.
Also, several years ago I needed a receiver for a Toyota Sienna van I was driving. I shopped around online, but ended up finding the best deal at my local UHaul dealer, which included installation.

If you only need one bike, look around, you should be able to find a single rail Kendon in the sub $1500 range. I lucked out and got mine for $750, but I had to look long and hard and was sixth in line and the first to not lowball BS the seller, so it could have worked out another way.

If you are resourceful, you may even find a receiver hitch that fits your vehicle on CL. I found one for my old pickup and only paid $30 for it. Some elbow grease, can of spray paint and nuts&bolts from the hardware store was all it needed. Pretty easy to inspect a hunk of metal. Just check the welds for cracks and see that it lays flat.

Many hitches these days are no-drill installations.

Back