• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Safety Inspection/Registration the New is Wearing Off

Yeeha! Stephen

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
When the new Two-Step inspection/registration program fired up I had my doubts about the timeliness of government bureaucracy getting the inspection reports to the registration office. But, when I first tried to re-register a bike everything went swimmingly even though I had the bike inspected the day before.

Fast forward a couple of months - time to re-register another bike. I had the bike inspected several days ago and it wasn't in the system as of 50 minutes ago.

PIA warning. Take your inspection report with you no matter what (I did) cuz Murphy's Law is just waiting to sock it to ya!

;-)

Drove to the courthouse and changed the title on a truck from Harris to Fayette county. Drove seven blocks to the inspection station and the change was on their system.
Drove back to the courthouse to get the tags and the inspection was on their system.
The only problem I've experienced is operator error, but like you say carry your inspection report.
m

Odd, last month, I had mine inspected and the next day I renewed on their website with no problems. I wonder if it is more to do with the inspection station than they govt.

I've cycled through all my vehicles in the last six months. Each time, I've waited a week or less before going to the DPS website. I've had nary an issue.

since the option of on line registration, I dont think I will ever renew in person again. I will say the whole issue of actually having to get trailers inspected now really does suck though.

I just got the renewal papers today for my truck and trailers , I copied last years and mailed with all nessessary paper work a month ago because all are due in May . The new tags were in the mail last week . If you wait for the state to do the paper work you will be on expired tags . Under 4 k trailers don't require inspection . Over have for years .

Last edited:
When the new Two-Step inspection/registration program fired up I had my doubts about the timeliness of government bureaucracy getting the inspection reports to the registration office. But, when I first tried to re-register a bike everything went swimmingly even though I had the bike inspected the day before.

Fast forward a couple of months - time to re-register another bike. I had the bike inspected several days ago and it wasn't in the system as of 50 minutes ago.

PIA warning. Take your inspection report with you no matter what (I did) cuz Murphy's Law is just waiting to sock it to ya!

;-)

Safety third.

And, yes. Keep your papers, citizen.

... If you wait for the state to do the paper work you will be on expired tags . Under 4 k trailers don't require inspection . Over have for years .

Dunno what the difference is (?location?) but when I use online renewal I usually have the new sticker within a week; but if I'm cutting it close I go to the Courthouse and have it within 5 minutes, maybe 10 if it's within a couple days of the end of the month.

Difference is Harris county. In Harris county things can take a couple of weeks. In Fayette, they have them out the same day. 4 million vs 20 thousand.

Lightbulb just lit: Online renewal goes to Austin from where they're sent to the applicable county so big pop'n" counties take forever whereas "small pop'n" counties get 'em right out?

OK, on to important things like which bike to ride to my appt with a member of The Medical Mafia this morning. I'm thinking R100RT. No . . . maybe the Magna. Or . . . . . !
Decisions, decisions!
:rider:

Last edited:
Odd, last month, I had mine inspected and the next day I renewed on their website with no problems. I wonder if it is more to do with the inspection station than they govt.

This is my thought. I can't imagine getting every grease monkey in the state updated and trained all at once. My money is on dealerships getting it right immediately and Joe Bob's Discount Cycle Repair and Bait Shop requiring you to bring the paper well after Joe Bob Jr. takes over.

The inspection station can't inspect unless he is online . His computer goes directly to the state system . That's where the hang up is at least when stickers were provided you had a reminder on the windshield to look at every day reminding you when it was time now you have to think three months ahead . The real pisser is the inspection station used to pay the state 7 bucks for the sticker , that was the states share . Now you pay the state their 7 bucks for nothing .

It's not all trailers - only ones with a gross weight of over 4,500 lbs. It won't affect many popup campers or 2-bike trailers. It will presumably affect construction trailers, larger box trailers, and many but not all travel trailers.

This is my thought. I can't imagine getting every grease monkey in the state updated and trained all at once. My money is on dealerships getting it right immediately and Joe Bob's Discount Cycle Repair and Bait Shop requiring you to bring the paper well after Joe Bob Jr. takes over.
Yea, I get mine done at Kwik Kar, so they are pretty well tied in I guess, I skip the dealers because there's always some kind of run around/wait, and it's further. Kwik Kar is, well, kwik. :D

The real pisser is the inspection station used to pay the state 7 bucks for the sticker , that was the states share . Now you pay the state their 7 bucks for nothing .

Yea, because, servers, networks, SAN's, databases, licensing...it's all free right? So much cheaper than stickers.

Yea, I get mine done at Kwik Kar, so they are pretty well tied in I guess, I skip the dealers because there's always some kind of run around/wait, and it's further. Kwik Kar is, well, kwik. :D

Yea, because, servers, networks, SAN's, databases, licensing...it's all free right? So much cheaper than stickers.

I did go to the dealership to get my insp.

One caveat though... it was just before lunch and they probably did my inspection and bailed for lunch.

I really enjoy getting my bike inspected :-P, I now know that all my lights and horn work. It's funny how I can't remember a time when they didn't, or I fixed the problem right quick for safety reasons.

trainman

I really enjoy getting my bike inspected :-P, I now know that all my lights and horn work. ... trainman

Does anyone go for inspection without checking everything inspectable first and fixing anything that needs it? Inspection funding would be better spent enforcing the insurance requirements, getting the uninsured (and unlicensed!) off the roads.

CA has, what, 47.3 gazillion vehicles on the road and seem to get by just fine without inspection. How could that possibly be? *tongue-in-cheek smilie here*

My cars go to a big, high volume place, my bike goes to a place down the road where the owner barely speaks English and the techs understand that the inspection is just a piece of paper.

Cars were in the system by the end of the day, the bike took three days. :shrug

Does anyone go for inspection without checking everything inspectable first and fixing anything that needs it? Inspection funding would be better spent enforcing the insurance requirements, getting the uninsured (and unlicensed!) off the roads.

CA has, what, 47.3 gazillion vehicles on the road and seem to get by just fine without inspection. How could that possibly be? *tongue-in-cheek smilie here*
Maybe instead of safety inspections we could have insurance only inspections. I'm sure though that somehow that would cost 600% what the current system does.

These days most of the inspection is smog anyway. The guy that does my bikes is pretty easy.

I did take the RT into a shop in Houston. Because Harris is an emissions county and the bike is registered in La Grange, he had a hard time getting it into the system. Could have been the operator.

Maybe instead of safety inspections we could have insurance only inspections. I'm sure though that somehow that would cost 600% what the current system does.

Well yes, of course. Instead of laying off/firing the gummint inspection uber-weenies, "they" would hire on additional B-I-L's and Nephews and such to make sure Inspection Stations were not doing inspections. It's the way of gummint . . . hire more peeps, never get rid of any!

These days most of the inspection is smog anyway. The guy that does my bikes is pretty easy.

I did take the RT into a shop in Houston. Because Harris is an emissions county and the bike is registered in La Grange, he had a hard time getting it into the system. Could have been the operator.

No smog checks here in the sticks where our air is clean and smells good, particularly just after a good rain that knocks the pollen out/down. I sometimes go to an Inspection Station in Rusk; by the time I get to the courthouse in Nac, it's in the system. Or, especially for "new" bikes bought out of state, I go to the H-D shop in Nac, then to the C-house andthe inspection report is in the system, essentially instantly. But of course I have the inspection report in hand.

Under 4 k trailers don't require inspection . Over have for years .
this is true but it was never enforced. So much so, that in the some 20+ years I have been registering trailers, owning 2 16' lowboys, a stock trailer and a camper - all over 4k, I never knew until they passed the inspection sticker change, that inspections were "required." Heck, most people around here don't even plate them or renew registration based on what I see going down the road.

this is true but it was never enforced. So much so, that in the some 20+ years I have been registering trailers, owning 2 16' lowboys, a stock trailer and a camper - all over 4k, I never knew until they passed the inspection sticker change, that inspections were "required." Heck, most people around here don't even plate them or renew registration based on what I see going down the road.
So if you dont renew registration then no inspection is needed so no change from before. Lol

I never renewed mine either until I took it out west. Too big of a gamble and couldnt afford the chance of delay or hassle. Then I let it expire again for local use and got pulled over one month after it expired. Me thinks if it was 3 yrs past expired like previously I wouldnt have got off with only a warning. I keep them sll current now. Old dogs can learn.

_

Oh I have always kept them current, just not inspected. So much for that

Back