• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Important information about using the SPOT

: Federal Response as opposed to local response (although based on Katrina, maybe the locals would be better). Put it simply, an PLB / EPIRB, etc gets SERIOUS attention when activated. But as mentioned, SPOT is better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

Katrina was a major disaster; Not a one-off.
EPIRB is still the best- and most expensive.

The "Federal Response" when a EPIRB is activated is for the kid in an Air Force uniform to pick up a phone and call the local authorities. Or at the most the Civil Air Patrol. Air Force PJs aren't going to swoop out of the sky and rescue you.

Bob's situation from years ago could have ended the same way even with a "real" beacon.

@mikes old virago - thanks for reviving this thread. I "wasn't around" when it was fresh and there's a lot of good info in here. I was "using" SATNAV in the early 70s, when only the military (missile boats, specifically) could afford it and the receiver/processor occupied a cabinet abt 6' tall, 2'wide, 2'deep, IIRC. It's come a long way since then.

Now, I carry two SPOT Gen 2s, one activated and one spare to be activated if the 1st fails and I'm in a location where I can call the SPOT Folks. I also have "bikey" folks who understand and can get things moving on my list of folk to notify in the event of an emergency.

Re choices of coordinates in a zumo550, under Coordinates => Format, there are three choices of "common" ways to specify location:
hddd.ddddd(degrees, no clue how to do a little superscript "o")
hddd(degrees)mm.mmm'
hddd(degrees)mm'ss.s"

plus 37 other grid systems including 9 for India alone. Pick yer poison.

An oldie but a goodie.

I still carry my EPIRB but I've cut in a SPOT quite often for the messaging and tracking, and also because some of the events I do require it.

I religiously carry my 2m HAM radio because if I do break a leg, I want a buddy to get me rather than a $30,000 helicopter ride. (And there's no cell service most of where I go....)

Justin

I have a VHF/UHF radio handy nearly all the time. It's a useful tool but even in populated areas simplex contacts are spotty and rare and if you're traveling you have to do your homework on Repeaters in the areas you will be.

Even then there's no guarantee that the repeaters you pick will still be operational or that they're even monitored with any regularity.

KK6RBI

Sent from my iPhone

I have a VHF/UHF radio handy nearly all the time. It's a useful tool but even in populated areas simplex contacts are spotty and rare and if you're traveling you have to do your homework on Repeaters in the areas you will be.

Even then there's no guarantee that the repeaters you pick will still be operational or that they're even monitored with any regularity.

KK6RBI

Sent from my iPhone

In populated areas I use my cell phone ;-)

In my cell-free riding areas I know all the local guys and local repeaters.

And yes, you have to do your homework if you travel.

Still better than a $30,000 helicopter ride ;)

J

GEOs insurance.

But yes better. Help message though a SPOT tracker (not 911 button) and buddys come to the rescue.

Sent from my iPhone

The limited text message capability is what lead me to the Delorme device instead of SPOT. Even though the Delorme doesn't fit in the nice special SPOT pocket of my Klim jacket.

http://delorme.com/

I am NOT an expert on the subject, mainly wanted to say there are alternatives with more flexible text capabilities.

At least I can send and receive text messages to better explain the situation if / when it is needed.

Really sorry about BB's experience, glad it did turn out ok after all.

Yes I think there is finally some competition in the satellite messenger market, that's a good thing.

I developed a healthy skepticism for SAR when I was sailing. Multiple datums, inaccurate charts and the whole small boat in a big sea thing all led to the idea that the best rescue was the one that never had to happen. Back then EPRIBS were HUGE, AIS was just being established and GPS sort of worked, except when the DoD was "dithering" it, which was all the time.

I always carried a radio, but stopped short of installing the giant short wave systems that a lot of cruising boats installed. The cost of installation was high and use was limited to certain hours of the day. Catching the daily "nets" could be done on a Grundig Yachtboy and getting somebody to read a message for me was not hard to do. I never implemented, but any long voyage would have included a battery powered sat phone, so I could talk to family and make emergency calls if necessary. I still have that marine radio in my old ditch bag in the closet.

The first few chapters of Nigel Calder's 'How to Read a Nautical Chart" give a pretty good explanation of how global positioning work, when it doesn't and why. Terrestrial maps are pretty good in town where there is a need to correct them, but out where they become critical to route finding, they often are off by as much as a mile.

Anyway, all this is to say I'm in the Delorme camp as well. In case I ever need to use it I want to be able to send and receive messages so that I can at least know somebody is out there, if not help them find me.

m

Can you subscribe to Spot on a month to month?
I have bee checking their site, but cannot find the information

Can you subscribe to Spot on a month to month?
I have bee checking their site, but cannot find the information

No, Spot is an annual subscription only. For the past 3 or 4 years I have got mine with unlimited tracking for $100 a year. Just takes a phone call, Spot understands customer retention and knows they have competition with DeLorme.

DeLorme with same unlimited tracking with month to month activation is $35 a month. For myself (due to frequent use) the DeLorme service would be cheaper if I paid the $300 annual instead. That $200 increase and having to buy a new unit have kept me from switching over. But I admit the send and receive texting capabilities is a big plus when needed. But I really carry mine more for tracking than anything else. When I travel there are always friends and family following my Spot page so even if I went off a cliff or was unconcious and couldn't press an SOS button or send a text, I would still have EMS out for me eventually. The text feature and SOS button only work if you're able to press it.

_

DeLorme with same unlimited tracking with month to month activation is $35 a month. For myself (due to frequent use) the DeLorme service would be cheaper if I paid the $300 annual instead. That $200 increase and having to buy a new unit have kept me from switching over. But I admit the send and receive texting capabilities is a big plus when needed.

The month to month you speak of is their Freedom Plan @ $35/month, which enables one to suspend service and billing for the month(s) the unit isn't in use. To some that is a big incentive over SPOT in addition to two way texting.

A heavy user who want to keep service all year long pays $25/month with an annual contract.

The cheapest way to go, except for tracking, is to get the Safety Plan under a Freedom Plan contract. This is $15/month with suspendable billing but gives you a two way texting tool in your toolbox for when things go to crap in the bush. If you only take one or two big trips a year it could be the best money ever spent if you get into a jam.

For those who like tracking for their family and/or audiences, the best bets are the Recreation Plan either on an annual contract if you are a heavy user or the Freedom Plan so you can suspend service and billing if you're not traveling.

I have the Recreation/Freedom Plan structure and have sent and received a ton of messages on the Delorme which one can't currently do with SPOT devices.

I personally wouldn't depend on lack of movement from tracking tipping off family and friends to send EMS. Too many scenarios where EMS could be triggered when there was no need. And it could get $$$ if SAR assets were summoned by family when there was no emergency.

I really don't understand why parsing what amounts to relatively little money is so important with so much on the line. People go out all the time and blow what equates to fancy dinner money on the same relatively small amount it costs to have a unit in your pocket that will be your potential lifeline when you're in serious hurt.

Like I said before, SPOT knows it is in serious trouble with market share and is probably working desperately to come up with a similar unit and service. Even if they do, their problem will always be their inferior satellite system which can't hold a candle to Delorme's. In my book, and I speak from the experience of having owned every SPOT model to date, they can't even come close to the two big points of measure, functionality and coverage. Delorme has passed SPOT at full gallop and will probably never look back.

i-NswxfbM-M.jpg

...A heavy user who want to keep service all year long pays $25/month with an annual contract.

Exactly that is why I stated would be $300 annually for myself.

...I personally wouldn't depend on lack of movement from tracking tipping off family and friends to send EMS. Too many scenarios where EMS could be triggered when there was no need. And it could get $$$ if SAR assets were summoned by family when there was no emergency.

Nobody plans on it but the scenerio I gave both a Spot or DeLorme user could only hope for that the same. So not an advantage for either.

I really don't understand why parsing what amounts to relatively little money is so important with so much on the line. People go out all the time and blow what equates to fancy dinner money on the same relatively small amount it costs to have a unit in your pocket that will be your potential lifeline when you're in serious hurt...

Really?.. little money? $200 annually is an expense I cannot ignore. Plus purchase a new DeLorme device is what? cheapest probably in the $300 range. So $500 out of pocket to switch over an additional $200 annually thereafter.
Might be chump change for some but not all and not the majority. Then add to that extra SAR expense, extra Med Jet expense, extra Med coverage for Int'l, etc. etc. If you're going for insurance to cover all possibilities then the total you're spending is over $1,000 a year. If you elect not to cover yourself with all you're still gambling so everybody just sets their own comfort level.

Not trying to discourage anyone for paying for whatever protection they need or want. Just balancing the decision I made. I pay for tracking and hope I need nothing more. If I do I have some coverage and hopefully I wont need more than I have. If I do them my gamble lost, similar gamble I take everytime I get on the bike. Riding is inherently a dangerous hobby, ride as if your life depends on it. Don't ride with a false sense of security.

_

Last edited:
Everybody has a different take on Risk Management

That was exactly my point.

And I also know plenty that would like to have tracking ability but cannot or will not spend $325-500 to get started with DeLorme. Spot Gen 1 and Gen 2 units are being practically given away for free so with $100 you are off and running. Best to have something for $100 than not spend the bigger money and have nothing meanwhile.

_

Last edited:
Considering the limitations of cellular phone systems, I wonder how many phone apps do this kind of thing.
m

Best one is BubblerGPS for Android. The developer rides motorcycles and has designed it with rallies in mind and has a lot of features that rally riders like.

It is of course limited to your cellular coverage area, but if you just need tracking it works very well as it will store your location points and when you have service again it will upload them.

I used it quite a bit before getting my Spot tracker. The extra features when out in the boonies were worth the cost to me.

Last edited:
Everything in life is a compromise... so I use both SPOT and BubblerGPS... have also added a PLB to my travel kit as well... your mileage may vary...

I had some issues with my Bubbler on the trip to AR last week. It wouldn't send updates to Spotwalla. Today I gt with the developer and he found the problem and has already written and published an update to take care of what is likely to be a rare and obscure problem. I was pretty impressed. Of course Bubbler is limited Vs Spot or Delorme but I
really liked the service.

Back