TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #21
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Re: Focusing on the small things in life... Macro Photography

If I keep looking at all these 'bugs' I may end up liking them .. .. ..
Very nice pictures!!

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #22
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

My latest effort...

Just a white foam board tube with a high tech attachment strap! When I first tried it, it was harsh. So I stuffed the clip on diffuser from the flash into the tube backward. That works well. I’ll get the pics up soon.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas

Last edited by Tourmeister; 04-28-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #23
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Okay, so once I got the flash tube mounted on the camera, I wandered outside looking for test subjects. These are all shot with the D7200.

Some flowers on our back porch

Some local residents on one of our fire wood stacks.

There's a big bush in our yard in full bloom and it is SWARMING with love bugs...

and among them I found a few other critters as well.

I really liked the color of this guy but couldn't get the shot of his head that I really wanted.

A little surprise popping up unexpectedly in front of our house under some bushes

This guy was really cool looking and fast moving. He was back up in the bush which made it hard to get close to him and still be able to even remotely keep myself steady for focusing.

and the last critter from the bush before I got tired of being mobbed by love bugs and headed inside to see how these pics came out.

The foam board diffuser helps, but the light is still causing pretty bright highlights.While I was going through these images in Lightroom, the kids started pestering me to go across the street to the lake with them so they could fish. By this time it was early evening and I figured there would be plenty of photo ops at the lake, so I grabbed the camera and went with them.

The shots above were mostly done at f11 and ISO 100. I wasn't happy with the DOF I was getting so I decided to go back to f16 at ISO 400. I also tried backing off the 1:1 focus range a bit to see if putting a bit of distance between the lens and the subject would give me better DOF.

I found lots of these guys, which were maybe 1" long from head to tail.

This guy was hiding among some flowers that had all manner of little flying critters flitting around. From the holes in his web, I am thinking he's been busy with dinner.

Another tiny dragon fly

I think this is Purple Vetch. It grows all over the dam at the lake in our neighborhood. There were so many variety of bees that I could hear the humming as I got closer.

I chased this guy for a while and this was the best shot I could get of him. I wish the head had been facing more my direction. Still, I do like this one.

Another bee...

I really like this shot!

There were Lady Bugs EVERYWHERE!

Lastly, I stumbled on yet another spider that just happened to be crawling along a weed and caught my eye.

I think the f16 ISO 400 setting works pretty well. I like the bee pics in particular.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 05-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #24
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So I had some time Sunday afternoon and decided to play around some more. I took some of the foam board left over from my flash tube project and basically made a reflector that I strapped to the lens with one of the girl's pony tail holders. It sticks out about 3" on the bottom and both sides but does not enter into the field of view of the lens. I am hoping it will reflect some of the light from the flash and act like a soft box of sorts. Ideally, the subject will be almost encompassed in the open end in front of the lens. Here are some shots from the back yard.

I revisited some flowers

A death trap on another wood pile, but I could not find the owner...

So the big bush in the back yard that was blooming a week or two back has played out. The bees have moved on to sweeter pastures. But the love bugs and a bunch of these TINY flies were still hanging around. So I chased them for a while because they have really cool colors.

I included this one just because it had three of them in the shot and it was soooo close to being a really cool shot, IF ONLY that one guy in the foreground had been in focus!! This was the best of about 10 tries with one or more of them in flight.

So while I was messing around with these flies, I felt something on my hand suddenly. When I looked, I realized a small spider had leapt onto to me while I was holding the chain link fence in front of the bush to steady the camera.

That is my thumbnail. He is tiny.

Moments after the above shot, he leapt onto the lens. Then he started running up the side of the flash tube. I tried herding him back to my hand without any luck. So I decided to just head inside and sit down at the kitchen table with him and see what kind of pics I could get. One thing about chasing bugs for pics is that it is hard on the body with all the squatting, kneeling, and bending over in awkward positions to get shots. My back was already killing me and I needed to sit down for a bit. I also pulled the reflector thing off the lens. It might be helping, but it just gets in the way of me being able to adjust the focus setting of the lens. In retrospect, I should have grabbed some leaves or sticks to put on the table for posing the spider. Maybe next time...

I REALLY want to figure out how to get good shots of little spiders like this. They are pretty cooperative and not really afraid. They are quite curious and didn't seem too worried about me nudging him here and there in an attempt to get him to move for better shots. When I got tired of messing with him, I let him go on a flower outside. Then it was inside to do the LR thing and see how the shots worked.

All of the above shots are crops. Getting in really close to get the subject bigger on the sensor is great for getting good resolution and detail. But there is a serious trade off in terms of loss of DOF by getting so much closer. Starting at 24 Mp and cropping, I think I can still get a decent shot in terms of detail unless I go nuts with cropping. The shot of the spider on my thumb is heavily cropped. Here are a few before and after for comparisons:

Before

After

Before

After

That last one is really pushing the effective limit of cropping. And lastly, here is the spider on my thumb,

Before

After

Quote:

Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #25
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Scott,

Outstanding images!

The great thing about the macro lens is you can find an endless supply of insects, plants and other critters within your backyard.

...I wander what type of magnification is needed to get a really close image of the "compound eye" of the ant?

Fred
Old 05-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #26
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBH View Post
...I wander what type of magnification is needed to get a really close image of the "compound eye" of the ant?
Better than 1:1, that's for sure. The biggest problem is getting the ant to be still long enough for you to frame and take the shot with any hope of having it focused. A lot of the macro shooters that do the super detailed high magnification shots will chill their subjects to slow them down or just use dead specimens. They also tend to use focus stacking, which requires multiple exposures of the same image with a slightly different focal plane in each image. That is extremely hard to do with an active subject. I chased this one ant for probably 5-6 minutes, blasting away with the camera, just to get this one decent shot. That is typical for things like the bees, flies, ants, lady bugs, and similar active critters. Dragon flies, spiders, and some of the other bugs tend to be still for longer periods of time and it is easier to get lots of shots of them. I tried chasing a BIG ant yesterday and it was all I could do to keep him in the view finder, forget trying to actually compose and focus a shot!!

Quote:

Old 05-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #27
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
A lot of the macro shooters that do the super detailed high magnification shots will chill their subjects to slow them down or just use dead specimens. They also tend to use focus stacking, which requires multiple exposures of the same image with a slightly different focal plane in each image. That is extremely hard to do with an active subject. I chased this one ant for probably 5-6 minutes, blasting away with the camera, just to get this one decent shot. I tried chasing a BIG ant yesterday and it was all I could do to keep him in the view finder, forget trying to actually compose and focus a shot!!
How about acquiring dry ice (use a small fan on the side to keep away the frost clouds) and perhaps supplement your lens with a wide magnifying glass?

I wander if you can get an adapter to use on a standard microscope?

RB

Last edited by FCBH; 05-09-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added link to Walmart microscope kit.
FCBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #28
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

You can add close up filters like these,

https://www.amazon.com/Close-Up-Diop.../dp/B01J8XLG5W

Which I might do eventually. They can be used on any lens, not just a "macro" lens. Of course, anything you do that gets you more magnification just makes the DOF ever thinner! That makes shots of live moving subjects even more difficult.

Quote:

Old 05-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #29
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

This next batch of images comes from a small part of our back yard. We had four of those little raised bed garden boxes that are 4' X 4' and 10" high. The weeds have long since taken them over and choked out just about anything we'd want growing there other than a nice patch of Pink Ladies. I had a spare 15 minutes or so the other evening and it was pretty, so I headed out with the camera.

At first, I wasn't seeing a whole lot. So I sat there and just kind of let my focus drift until I started seeing small movements. Then, once my brain keyed in on looking for small movements, I started seeing stuff all over the place!

Spotted Cucumber Beetle

You can see that nailing the focus is REALLY freaking hard!! It is impossible to hold really still while crouching down. Even if I could, the bug is moving constantly and quickly. By the time I was done and heading back inside to import everything into Lightroom, I had close to 350 images!

Bee Mimic-Beetle

I have been unable to identify this guy I love the slick shiny look as compared to the wild hairy look of so many bugs. It's like this is the dude that is the sharp dressed man!

This series is a Circle of Life thing...

Here are some shots of the same kind of bug as their dinner, of the "Plant Bug" family.

This has to be my favorite bug of the session. I had no idea what it was. Turns out it is a Lady Beetle (Lady Bug) Larva! In contrast to an actual Lady Beetle, these things look ferocious. No doubt, to the little Potato Aphid it devours while I am snapping away, it was ferocious...

Hors d'oeuvres are served?

He ignores the little critter... to small to spend the effort?

Definitely either really brave or stupid...

Found a few others over the course of shooting.

Potato Aphid... It's what's for dinner.

He makes short work of the unfortunate aphid...

Potato Aphid, these were all over the place

No idea what this might be... Maybe a transition from the larva to Lady Beetle?

This guy showed up briefly... a Damsel Fly of some sort

Metallic Flea Beetle

And some actual Lady Beetles

Some kind of mite?

Emerald Lynx Spider - Daniel spotted this guy after I totally missed him.

He also spotted this guy, which was climbing around his arm almost faster than Daniel could twist around to keep it facing me so I could get a shot of it! A Black Tailed Red Sheetweaver.

A Zebra Longhorn - note the red parasite on the back of his neck...

I reached the point where I thought I'd found most of the bugs in the flower patch and decided to head over to a wood pile on the side of the house in search of spiders. I found this guy, which I think might be the same one I found a few weeks prior in the same general area.

Some kind of Orb Weaver

There weren't any other spiders I could find, so I moved on around front to some bushes outside our kitchen window and found these.

I've not been able to identify this one.

And last, bu not least of all, some kind of common fly

Quote:

Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #30
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

These shots are from a church picnic. There is a lake on the property with a trail around it. I figured I'd be able to find a few bugs there.

Sarah handed me a single clover flower. I didn't see a thing until I held it up in front of the camera

They were even tucked up inside the flower... just tons of them on this ONE single flower/stalk!

I didn't even realize this guy had hold of a praying mantis until I got home and looked at the images on my computer

Quote:

Old 05-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #31
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

These were shot on my back porch. This guy was watching me closely, but he never gave any indication that he was going to come after me even though I got right up in his face and started popping the flash.

I was ready to run on short notice, hopefully without tripping over something and killing myself and the camera in the process...

Quote:

Old 05-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #32
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

These were all taken just outside our front door. We have a large Holly Bush and a Crape Myrtle. I was amazed at the variety of stuff I was able to find in about ten minutes or so of shooting!

No idea what is going on here...

This guy saw me coming and quickly headed deep into the bush.

A Non-biting Midge I believe

I probably should have included the uncropped image here so you could get a better idea of just how tiny this fly really is. It's maybe 3-4mm head to tail, at best...

This is a Pine Ladybird

I haven't got a clue... I have never seen anything like this before

This is probably my favorite series of captures yet! It's a Magnolia Green Jumping Spider. They hang out on the underside of the leaves and blend in really well. The two main eyes were rapidly changing color. One would go clear while the other went black, then they would flip flop, rarely being the same color at the same time. This guy was pretty tolerant of me moving leaves out of the way and even moving the branch on which he was sitting.

It must be a female because it has eyes in the back of its head

Massive crop

No idea what that thing above her is? Something caught on some web maybe

Lastly, another incredibly TINY fly...

Quote:

Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #33
WoodButcher
Administrator

https://petapixel.com/2018/05/14/i-l...perfect-photo/

Something new to try.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #34
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Nope!

Quote:

Old 05-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #35
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

More shots from the Holly Bush in my front yard, a seemingly never ending supply of new critters to photograph, and there are still a few familiar faces as well.

Some kind of "midge", of which apparently there are quite a few varieties.

Another variety of midge

Some kind of Orb Weaver

This spider is TINY, like only a few millimeters across at most. It was hard to see without looking through the lens to magnify it. It was also moving FAST as it was spinning its web, which made it hard to find and keep it in the view finder!! The whole web might have been about 2" in diameter at most.

This guy is also super TINY. Just look at the cell structure in the leaf for scale! Not the greatest shot focus wise, but I wanted to show the size. If I see one again, I will try to get a better shot.

A dead June Bug from the back porch.

Quote:

Last edited by Tourmeister; 05-16-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #36
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

This session started in the front yard with the Holly Bush but ended in the back yard in a big bush that only has a few flowers left on it.

That is the pointy tip of the Holly Bush leaf. This guy is really little. The little black dot in the compound eye followed me when I moved...

This guy was sitting back up in the bush and getting the flash on him was a challenge.

An ant. A REALLY tiny ant. Just looked like a spec of dust to the naked eye.

No idea what this is, but I loved the color of his eyes. It's about 1/8" long from front to back.

Long Legged Fly, which come in an amazing variety of primary colors and endless secondary colors! They rarely sit still for more than a fraction of a moment, but they tend to buzz away and come right back to the same leaf for several minutes before finally moving on to a new leaf.

I moved to the back yard to see if I could find anything different. I was hoping to find some jumping spiders, but wasn't having any luck. Instead I found this fly, which appeared dead, but then started moving

That's when I noticed this guy!

The spider was quite tolerant of me moving the branch around and holding it steady to get better angles. This is a tip from one of the macro sites I've read, look for bugs that are busy doing something and they will be less likely to react to your presence. Eating is a good form of busy because they are rarely willing to give up a meal.

Quote:

Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #37
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

That hard part about shooting such small subjects is getting what you want focused to actually BE focused. At such small apertures, generally f/11 to maybe f/22, and at such close distances, maybe 1-3" from the end of the lens to the subject, the depth of field for the focus is INCREDIBLY thin, like less than a millimeter at times. This can make it almost impossible to get an entire head focused, much less a body. Just the beating of my heart is enough to move the camera and throw off my desired focus. Then there is the breathing, trying to steady myself in often awkward positions while holding the weight of the camera far from my body's center of gravity, etc,... Even the SLIGHTEST breeze can move a subject WAY out of focus. So the keeper ratio of good shots to bad shots is really small. It is not unusual for me to shoot 250-250 images and end up with maybe 15-30 useable images. Even then, most of those are not really what I am happy with, they were just what I was able to use. There have been times where I have just deleted everything! I am getting better though.

I have settled on settings that seem to work fairly well. I generally use an aperture of f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/250 (fastest for the D7200 with a flash). Before I start shooting, I pop a shot to see where my ambient exposure is. If I start with ISO 100, the ambient is pretty much shut down and I get a black screen. If I take it up to 400 or maybe even 800, I start getting the colors of the background without the details. I set the metering to center weighted and I tend to have the subject mostly centered when shooting. I start with the flash set at 0 FEC and will play with that as needed. I may sometimes drop the exposure compensation on the camera to -1 ev just to saturate the colors a bit more.

I use manual focus only on the 105 mm macro lens. Up close, the auto focus is essentially useless because it cannot react fast enough to the slight movements of my body. I generally start with the focus set to 1:1 and will back off that to maybe 1:2 depending on the size of the critter. Backing off the 1:1 also gets the lens further from the subject and allows for a bit, and only a bit, more of DOF for the focus. Depending on the size of the subject, sometimes backing off and cropping to get the final image gives a better result than trying to stay real close and doing as little cropping as possible.

I have tried playing around with some extension tubes and my 24-70mm lens. It will work, but the end results don't seem to be anywhere near as good as just using the 105mm macro. That might be me though as I have seen shots from other people using extension tubes with wide lenses with pretty good results. For natural light shots, I have had pretty good luck with the tubes and using my 70-200mm lens. I've just not put the time into messing with the tubes as I have with the 105mm lens. I probably just need to get more focused about technique

Using a flash REALLY brings out the colors that bugs have which we rarely seem to notice. Those tiny long legged flies are a perfect example. Unless the sun is hitting them when you see them, they basically look like dark flies. However, when the flash pops them, they look like exploding rainbows! Getting the light from the flash to the subject is the challenge. Not wanting to spend more money (yet) on specialty flashes, I threw together the flash tube shown earlier in this thread. It keeps the weight of the flash back at the body instead of out on the end of the lens like many of the macro specialty flashes. However, it needs to be revised. I am thinking some kind of Y shape to split the light off center. Also, it still needs better diffusion. I think I can probably still make something out of the remaining foam board I have at home

The flash also helps a lot with getting sharp focus. The closer the flash is to the subject, the less time it has to fire to get the right exposure. If I expose ambient soft enough that any blur from my movement won't matter (which should be minimal anyway at the 1/250 shutter speed), then the only thing left affecting exposure time of my subject is the flash alone. That gives me an effective shutter speed/exposure time of thousandths of a second. I also have the flash set to rear curtain sync. When I started doing this, the images improved noticeably.

The other thing that helped a lot is really paying attention to the orientation of the subject to the plane of the lens. It takes three points in space to define a plane. This means that I basically have three points on my subject to choose how I want the plane of focus oriented. I typically want the near eye in focus, perhaps a wing, and then a near leg or antenna. So I have to consciously look for those points and try to orient the camera (sometimes on a moving bug) to get all three in focus at once, then time my shutter release with all my motion, the bug's motion, and even the wind blowing the plant... You can see how it can take a LOT of shots just to get a small handful of keepers!! However, actively working at doing all of that for every shot really helps!

The biggest obstacle is my own vision. I need glasses for anything within about 20" of my face. Beyond that, I have 20/20. So when I am poking around, I need the glasses to find my subjects. However, the glasses get in the way of trying to look through the viewfinder. I can make the view finder sharp using the dioptre controls for when I don't have the glasses, but the image is still so small that it is hard to tell when I really have sharp focus or not, especially on the really really small bugs. Most of the time I just crank off a bunch of shots while I am wobbling back and forth. Usually, one will come out decent. The ability to see a larger image of the bugs when focusing would help tremendously!! Having good light on the subject other than the flash also helps. I am thinking some kind of view finder magnifier might be worth trying

Quote:

Old 05-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #38
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So I moved over to the side of the house where we have a flower bed with a rose bush in it that is growing like crazy. These big grasshoppers recently showed up and they are eating the old growth on the bush rather quickly. I managed to keep Daniel from squishing them long enough to get some shots. My Mom has trained him to kill these guys on sight because they destroy her garden.

Our neighbor has a cow in their front yard. It seems we always have flies now...

It was soon too dark to be able to see to focus, so I called it an evening and headed inside to process several hundred images to get these.

Quote:

Old 05-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #39
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Here are some shots from last night. The first bug is apparently the adult version of one I found a few weeks back. Both were found on the Holly Bush in front of the house. The adult version is maybe 3/16" - 1/4" from end to end.

I wasn't having my typical luck with the Holly Bush, so I wandered over to some Crepe Myrtles on the far side of our drive way. They had these incredibly tiny ants running up and down the branches. They were moving pretty fast, but over the same path, so I was able to follow them. Still, they were super hard to get focused because they were just so twitchy in their movements, rarely being still for even an instant.

I wasn't "feeling it" with the ants. The above shots are so so, but the best of the many shots taken. So I moved to the back porch and found a beetle with his foot stuck in the window screen. I snapped a few shots before I realized he was stuck, then I managed to get him free. He was happy to hang around while I grabbed a few more shots of him.

I headed into the back yard in search of more light. It was getting dark on the back porch and hard to see to focus. We have some kind of small tree growing in one of our "garden" beds (they are really weed beds now). I spotted some super small ants running around on the leaves. Again, FAST moving and never stopping.

The blur behind this one is one of the "larger" winged ants. You can see their relative sizes better in the previous shot above.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #40
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So I have still be taking macro shots, I just haven't been getting them posted here. I'm going to add shot taken in May, June, and early July to get caught back up to my current images. Now that Spring has come and gone, it is getting harder to find the bugs around the house. The Holly bush in the front yard that was so full of bugs has nothing left in it now except for extremely tiny spiders that are simply beyond the ability of my gear to capture. They are hard to even see with the naked eye, even if I wear my glasses. The lake across the street from our house still has a good supply of dragon and damsel flies, the occasional frog, and some spiders.

So, without further ado...

Quote: