TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Gear

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #41
BobW

Re: Texas Summer Riding Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Going to be trying something a little different after reading an article on IBA about heat on the bike and such. We will see.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf
The lower the humidity the better it works. And your coat needs to be loose enough to let the air circulate. In your sleeve and out your neck.
Bob
BobW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #42
Traxx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW View Post
The lower the humidity the better it works. And your coat needs to be loose enough to let the air circulate. In your sleeve and out your neck.
Bob
Thanks, I will be trying a few vents in the mix as well.
One thing that I have noticed is that to much air flow over the mouth will chap your lips and make your voice sound funny when you get home. LOL.

See Ya'll on the road.

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Last edited by Traxx; 05-14-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Traxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #43
c_m_shooter

I find my leather motorcycle shirt to be cooler than my mesh gear on the road. Most people don't believe me, but the cuffs scoop in the air and the shirt fills up and air blows through. Just make sure to not sit on the shirt tail, there needs to be an exhaust.
c_m_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #44
c_m_shooter

...and those Kevlar jeans are HOT- much worse than you would expect.
c_m_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #45
BobW

I was thinking about checking the Kevlar jeans out but if they get that hot i'm not interested.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #46
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post
If you don't ride when it's over 85 degrees, you'll be missing half the year.
I won't ride without ATGATT, so yeah, last year it meant missing out on a few months. It's not always over 85, there's time in the mornings and last year I even did some late night riding when it still gets down in the 70's, but ... frankly, that's why I sprung for the Motoport outfit this year, to extend the riding season. And it was much nicer in 87 degrees than the ventilated leather jacket ever was, and even though I don't feel it nearly as much I have to assume that the kevlar mesh pants are making a big difference over the AGV cargos I normally wear, so -- hopefully, yes, the riding season will be extended by several months using this new gear!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #47
Texas T

Quote:
Going to be trying something a little different after reading an article on IBA about heat on the bike and such. We will see.
Heh... yep. That's the long version of what I just posted.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #48
Texas T

Quote:
If you read the FAQs on the LD Comfort site you'll see that you're almost 100% correct. Your goal is to allow the air to circulate long enough for the evaporative cooling effect to work, and then you CLOSE up those cuffs and keep the cooler (than the ambient temps outside your jacket) air trapped close to your body.

As that air begins to heat you repeat the process.

The more you just have air flowing through your jacket, the more you are feeding the evaporative process with your own body fluids. That's why I use the Geigerrig to keep my forearm sleeves and my chest wet. Remember, the LDC garments are dual layer to keep the moisture on the upper layer and keep the layer next to your skin dry.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #49
Traxx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
If you read the FAQs on the LD Comfort site you'll see that you're almost 100% correct. Your goal is to allow the air to circulate long enough for the evaporative cooling effect to work, and then you CLOSE up those cuffs and keep the cooler (than the ambient temps outside your jacket) air trapped close to your body.

As that air begins to heat you repeat the process.

The more you just have air flowing through your jacket, the more you are feeding the evaporative process with your own body fluids. That's why I use the Geigerrig to keep my forearm sleeves and my chest wet. Remember, the LDC garments are dual layer to keep the moisture on the upper layer and keep the layer next to your skin dry.
Any tricks to keep the funk down when rolling out?

See Ya'll on the road.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #50
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I'm ATGATT, and that doesn't always work so well down in Houston. So let me put in a vote for the Motoport air mesh -- it's outstanding. The protection is incredible, the armor is about double the armor I have in my leather riding jackets, and any time you're moving it feels like somebody turned on the air conditioner. This summer will be my first summer season with it, the hottest I've been out in is about 87 so far, but as compared to my highly-perforated leather jacket that I got for summer riding, this Motoport stuff seems like it'll extend the riding season another 10 degrees. I think 90 would be reasonably comfortable (as long as you're moving; at a standstill it's awful of course). 95 might be about the limit, I don't know, but in years past I just haven't bothered riding past about 85 degrees, so -- summing up, very very very happy with the Motoport stuff.

Hello! If you've posted an intro I missed it. So, Welcome!

Are you a foreigner here?

Or were you a foreigner in the land of the rising sun?

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #51
Centex
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

Lot's in that coincides with my rigorously ATGATT experience riding year-round / all-day wearing a classic Roadcrafter 1-piece suit and managing the airflow (distinct from direct air-blast on skin/undergarments) with the provided venting zippers / Velcro tabs (wrists, ankles, neck, underarm, and upper-back).

Won't say I never sweated but I certainly enjoyed all those miles on all those hot days (even, or especially, on the full-fairing Connie) .... admitting maybe influenced in part by having seen some mesh gear and (unfortunate) wearers after significant asphalt encounters.
2001 M750

Last edited by Centex; 05-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #52
Traxx
Forum Supporter

Sooooo, I am shifting from a Klim Apex air and BMW City II pants to Triumph Taloc Jacket and Pant. From textile/mesh to leather/vents and I am pretty sure that I will mix and match sometimes.
Sat. should be my test and I will report back then.

See Ya'll on the road.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #53
Texas T

Quote:
Sorry, Carl, but I don't understand the question.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #54
Traxx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
Sorry, Carl, but I don't understand the question.
Keeping the funky smell down. I remember that you do a good bit of long distance riding. So how does the LD gear handle the smells that come with the sweating?

See Ya'll on the road.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #55
Downs

Excellent article on riding in higher heat. I use vented jackets/pants but don't really do mesh anymore. Vent control is key over outright maximum airflow.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #56
Texas T

Quote:
Keeping the funky smell down. I remember that you do a good bit of long distance riding. So how does the LD gear handle the smells that come with the sweating?
On a multi-day ride I have two pairs of tops and bottoms. They rinse out in the sink or the shower, wring dry and then roll them up in a towel, and they are good to go.

From Mario's FAQ page:
Do they dry overnight?
LDComfort™ garments will dry overnight. Like many things they also need air to help them dry. There are a few ways that might help in this situation. Hang your garments over the air conditioner/fan/heater in the hotel room. Usually there is a curtain above the shower unit you can clip them to using some of the pant hangers provided.
The best way to quickly dry any LDComfort™ garment is to do the following:
After washing your garments and wringing them out, lay them flat on a towel. Roll them up in the towel and wring the towel. A lot of moisture will be moved into the towel because it is far more absorbent. If you roll the garments up again with the dry side of the towel your shorts can actually be put back on. The garment will feel cool but your body heat will quickly help dispel any extra moisture. For the shorts and tights, the waistband will dry with your body heat in about a half hour.

Last edited by Texas T; 05-15-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #57
Centex
Forum Supporter

Quote:
For me with the Roadcrafter it's getting out of the suit ASAP when off the bike and opening it fully / laying it out on the bike to air-out and dry. Easy the way Roadcrafters are built, boot removal not required. The ability to occasionally thoroughly wash it at home when things really started to get funky helps a lot, too.

'Fresh' undergarments daily as Texas T described.

I'll offer that I think one reason that suit worked so well for me in summer was it's 'fit' ... sized be 'snug' with a layer of winter clothing / electric jacket under it in the cold, that provided a bit of 'loose room' for vented air circulation throughout in summer with lighter / thinner 'street clothes' under.

Not sure if that's the kind of 'fit' you intend with the leather gear, sincerely hoping it works out for you.
2001 M750

Last edited by Centex; 05-15-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #58
Jarrett

Quote:
I was thinking about checking the Kevlar jeans out but if they get that hot i'm not interested.
I've had my Klim jeans up to 92 degrees so far and not that bad, imo.
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #59
Texas T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
I've had my Klim jeans up to 92 degrees so far and not that bad, imo.
I've had my textile pants up to 118. It wasn't comfortable, but it was doable.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #60
BobW

I suppose if you can keep the top half cool its do-able.