• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trinity Test Site Open House Oct 7 2017

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Anyone thinking about going? They are only open two days a year and I've been putting it off for quite a while. I plan on making it a SaddleSore 1000 ride as well, which is why I'm not taking a more direct route.

Route

Details on the event.

Details you need to know / videos you need to watch if you do go.

It's roughly an eight hour ride (520 miles) each way for me, so I'll be leaving home about 2 am to head that way. That gives me a couple of hours to spend at the site, and then a couple hours for a nap if I need one. NM in October should provide some nice weather.

Has anyone already done this tour? Anything in particular you recommend I see? Or ignore?

Just reread that you are doing an SS1000 for this. Man that's going to be hard. Tough to see the sights and make the run too. Definitely need to plan for a few hours at the site. Waiting to get in will soak up some time but they are used to this and it flows pretty well, but you should be there early to get in early but that means more waiting time.

Speed limits on bases are low and it's a bit of a hike to get to the site, so that's a bit time consuming as well. You need to go over to the McDonald house and that's done via a bus on the bus schedule. About 30 minutes at each location there and then the trip back out.

The VLA you can see pretty quickly and it's impressive, but even I wanted to spend more time there than I did and you'll be really pressed for time.

Now that Spaceport America has been built, I could see just spending an entire day in the area at least.

Attachments

• Trinity route.jpg
    Trinity route.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 172
Just reread that you are doing an SS1000 for this. Man that's going to be hard. Tough to see the sights and make the run too. Definitely need to plan for a few hours at the site. Waiting to get in will soak up some time but they are used to this and it flows pretty well, but you should be there early to get in early but that means more waiting time.
8 hours each way leaves me a 6 hour cushion (allowing time for pee/food/fuel stops). Even 10 hours each way leaves me a couple of hours. I don't plan to see all of the site and I'll play it by ear when I get there. If all I get is a photo of the obelisk and then have to get back to the bike, I'll be good with that.

The VLA you can see pretty quickly and it's impressive, but even I wanted to spend more time there than I did and you'll be really pressed for time.
BTDT when we had the TWT Pie Run to Pie Town a few years back.

Now that Spaceport America has been built, I could see just spending an entire day in the area at least.
I hadn't considered that. I'll need to plan another trip for that.

Back