• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Southern Bonham Run September 10, 2017

Reaction score
Ok Guys...i will update this post with a ride report.

No word on Dan yet. I have messenger him and he has not responded. I will post any updates here.

Paul hope you are doing ok...

I will update later...

Post your comments and pictures here please.

Chris

-----------------------------------

Ride Report. The goal was to keep it short, slow down the guy in front (ME !!), and be back by noon.
Well.... The ride was kept short, I haven,t figured it out yet but I am thinking we kept the ride to about 80 miles. I will check when I get back to Texas.
But we didn't make it back until 2:30. We did have about 3 hours in delays, and we had a re-route that took a bit of time to figure out...but it was fun doing it.
Dan went down in a very large rut....steve called it a "canyon" ... anyway he broke a collar bone, and cracked a rib. He is having the bone replaced with a rod and plate...plus the doctor told him to quit smoking... He told the doctor...I want to be back on the bike in 8 weeks...as far as the smoking he said..."baby steps".
Otherwise he is in good spirits and doing well. Paul, we are sorry you hit that rock in the rut. I am glad you are alright and hope you will be back. If you need help fixing the bike or transporting it anywhere, let me know I have a trailer. And your right Armour is a good thing.
This Southern Bonham run is a challenge.. REALLY IT IS.. It has beaten us twice, 3 times if you count the first ride which was to incorporate this route. West Texas was much easier and the roads were better. Next month will be a West Texas Ride. Right now we need good roads and easy... plus west texas is better during cooler weather because there are not as many trees. This routes showed that there are at least 3 water crossings, depending on the water level, but it needs to be balanced with the rain because the surface dirt will be treacherous. I will rank this has a hard route to take. If you did well in this ride, then Colorado (with all of the ruts we encountered there) should be no problem for you. Thank you all for coming and supporting the North Texas Dual Sport guys. Also, Thanks to the guys from Marshal for showing up. They did great riding. We hope you guys found a tire place and made it home. Hope to see you all next month. Check the upcoming ride section for next months ride. I will post it shortly... Also if you took photos, please post them here.

Last edited:
My first-time with the group. Great route. Hard but not too hard.
I know it has to take a lot of time to get plotted out that well. Thanks Chris.

My Honda 250 did just fine. Hardest part was loading it in the truck;) Next time I will bring the trailer...

Hope everyone that fell is OK.
First of many to come.

Travis if you see this be sure to get me on the email or let me know how to get on it.

Jon.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Jon...sent you an email earlier today. It's from Tara.dfwnorth. If you didn't get it...check your spam folder. If no luck...my personal email is tperk314@aol.com.

Sent an email to him last night, but haven't heard back yet.

Sure wanted to come but it just didn't work out. I'll be there next time.

If you care why...you can read my pitiful excuse below. If not, probably best to scroll to the next post. :)

I got my WR450 a couple of months ago and I'm a bit fat (250 pounds) so I needed stiffer springs. I somehow forgot this (not my weight...the fact that I needed springs) and didn't remember to order them until last week. I got them in on time and I thought I'd be able to drop them in pretty easily on Saturday. I had an afternoon / evening activity but I figured the entire job would only take a few hours. I was wrong. It took quite a bit more time than I expected to swap the shock spring and I didn't finish it until early afternoon. I cleaned up and I went to my afternoon / evening thing and then I worked to finish the forks after I got back. Those went pretty well but it was my first time rebuilding a KYB fork so I had to watch a video to figure out how to do it which took even more time.

Anyway...I finished about 12:30 AM. I didn't have time to set the sag but I rode around the block and it seemed ok.

But.....it's now after 12:30, Bonham is over an hour from me which meant I'd probably need to get up a 5:30 to load the bike and leave by 6:30. As such, I just decided that maybe it was smarter to skip this one rather than to show up a bit tired and without a fully tested steed under me.

I'll be ready next time.

I got a text from Paul that he had taken a spill and was riding home, what did he break?

Gary

He went down in a deep rut and gear shifter dug in hard, the recovery team bent it back pretty well. Nothing broken that I saw except maybe the left mirror (7 years...) ? He was sore but upright the last that I saw him.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

The gear lever is pretty mangled and the mirror is pretty loose but i believe the bike is fine bar a few scratches.

As for me, my left torso is bruised, left shoulder & calf is sore, left knee is scraped up & my tailbone is in a world of hurt. I hope it's not fractured or anything. I cannot emphasize how important it is to wear gear. My shoulder could've been dislocated or broken if not for my shoulder pads and upon further inspection, my helmet took some of the impact as well.

But otherwise, i'm limping around my office just fine. Thanks Chris for organizing this ride. It's a pity i couldn't complete it. Thanks to Pete who volunteered to ride back to town with me!

Thanks Chris for putting this together and sorry I had to bail early. Had a lot of fun with this group. Hope to see everyone again.

Steve

It was great to see that each person that had to leave due to an injury or bike problem had someone ride back with them. To sacrifice the rest of the ride to make sure a fellow rider gets back safely is encouraging to the rest of us. Thanks to those who did.

Thanks Chris for putting this together and sorry I had to bail early. Had a lot of fun with this group. Hope to see everyone again.

Steve

You just left early so you wouldn't have to help me fix my flat....10 minutes later!

Updated the first post with my take on the ride.

I slowed down this ride to 40 mph instead of my usual 50, and stopped more often to allow everyone to catch up. .... I'm learning as well

Last edited:
Since we missed the official ride, two of us rode the Southern Bonham Run on Sept. 23rd. One KLR and one KTM 1090. Conditions were completely different than either of the first two attempts because most of the roads had been graded and graveled. So while Chris' group had to contend with mud and ruts, the worst thing we encountered was dirt and/or deep gravel. Overall, the route was easy and fast and frankly, we got a bit bored towards the end. Regardless, we are both very appreciative of the work Chris puts into planning these routes.

64d362748009dfaeeb33a908f49d0f8f.jpg

d8f6a975f08c8f7717f9bed72e577196.jpg

Post ride pie at the Tnt Cafe

4c83a24b94d92af83ab830b690ce0cb2.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe you went for pie...and then posted a picture of it! Did you make it all the way down that weed road? We had to turn around because of a big bog pit. Someone should have put a barricade up...DOH!

No buttermilk so we had to settle for delectable and delicious chocolate. We did not make it down the grass trail because it was between us and the pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back