TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Weljo2001

Dealership Service Headaches

Got my bike back last friday and there were a few service issues when in there but when i was told it was ready. I get there to see one of the pegs to be replaced wasn't then i open my new top case to put stuff in it and the top case lights are just laying inside. So got with the service writer who got with the tech that took the light kit out of the old case and was suppose to install in the new one. He said he wasn't getting any power and checked it. I knew they were working when i brought it in. So i'm getting a little pissed and the service writer said he can order the part from Admore to fix it. I said F- it i just want to go. So he's really trying to make it right saying they'll cover the cost and what-not. I told him it was just probably a loose wire at the harness that probably got tugged on so i would check it when i got home. Got home took off the seat and looked at the harness. Yep one wire sticking out so i fixed it and connect the wiring together to see if it worked and it did. So kinda pissed if they would have went ahead and drilled the hole i could have installed it myself. Told them i would be in today for them to finish up the job. But on friday i sent a video of how to run the wiring and the holes that would need to be drilled and sent then the link to the instructions from Admore web-site.

Hello Brian,

Hers a couple of things that will come in handy……

2.https://admorelighting.com/Web%20Ins...structions.pdf

Thanks,
Joseph

Took it in today and waited for them to get it done so when the bring it to me he shows me that everything works correctly except a few of the running lights on the right blinker. So i said i would look at it when i got home. Well had to run some errands and was putting my jacket and helmet in the top case and noticed how they ran the wires....Bingo i think i found the problem.....

P1020080 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020081 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020082 by weljo2001, on Flickr

I know I'm kinda picky but this is just sloppy work. I even asked did the same guy take the light kit out of the old case and they said yes...So he knew how the new one should be done and 2 holes would have to be drilled to run the wires. Maybe he's just lazy or doesn't give a crap..

My Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee

My Bikes..http://flic.kr/s/aHsjR6mx2Z

Last edited by Weljo2001; 09-12-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Weljo2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
maximus_flavius

Re: Dealership Service Headaches

I wish I knew where this hideous service took place, so I can make sure & avoid it.

It's dang hard to find good mechanics or service.
maximus_flavius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
focus frenzy

Only have one thing to say about that.
https://goo.gl/images/VEadY4
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Weljo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius View Post
I wish I knew where this hideous service took place, so I can make sure & avoid it.

Del Amo Motorsports in Long Beach California. The sad part is its the dealership i bought the bike at and took it to them after a guy opened his door on me while i was lane splitting. So with parts and labor they got right at 4 grand. Most was cosmetic so at least they didn't touch anything important.

I had a great dealership in Ft.Worth, Tx when i was there. Honda/Kawasaki West they always did fantastic work for me...

Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Weljo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
Only have one thing to say about that.
https://goo.gl/images/VEadY4

Insurance paid for it. I tried to get them to let me order the top case and i would install the light kit myself but they got with the dealership and had them order it and paid to have them install the light kit. The dealership charged them $395.00 for the case when you can get it everywhere for $328.50.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
ernieD2

Weljo2001 said: "Maybe he's just lazy or doesn't give a crap..."

Maybe alot of both?

Come back to Texas bud, we've pretty much dried up; mostly.

Peace y'all, e.
ernieD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Weljo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieD2 View Post
Weljo2001 said: "Maybe he's just lazy or doesn't give a crap..."

Maybe alot of both?

Come back to Texas bud, we've pretty much dried up; mostly.

Peace y'all, e.

Would love to get back to Texas. But theres this cute little gal thats the reason i moved out to Cali. As long as we still like each other it looks like i'm stuck here. Been here since 2004

Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Quote:

mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #9
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weljo2001 View Post
Insurance paid for it. I tried to get them to let me order the top case and i would install the light kit myself but they got with the dealership and had them order it and paid to have them install the light kit. The dealership charged them $395.00 for the case when you can get it everywhere for $328.50.
Did not know this was related to an insurance claim and was wondering why you did not install it yourself and why you had to give them links / video for the installation.

Sometimes dealings with service organizations are very frustrating, particularly when you know as much or more than they do!

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Weljo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
Did not know this was related to an insurance claim and was wondering why you did not install it yourself and why you had to give them links / video for the installation.

Sometimes dealings with service organizations are very frustrating, particularly when you know as much or more than they do!

So true,

Provided all the info i could to make it easier on them because i know its not a stock item and they may not be familiar with it. Was trying to do everything i could to avoid something like this.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
maximus_flavius

If that's how they work, especially after you gave them everything they need for the simple job, at least you know to not ever go back. That's absolutely pitiful work. Ignorant & apathetic with no sense of pride in workmanship.
maximus_flavius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #12
Weljo2001

Quote:
If that's how they work, especially after you gave them everything they need for the simple job, at least you know to not ever go back. That's absolutely pitiful work. Ignorant & apathetic with no sense of pride in workmanship.

They lost me as a customer. The main reason being. The day after the accident ( I didn't post a video of the accident here because of the language in it ) I took the bike to the dealership i bought it from because i like to have a relationship with the dealer. I had to sign off on a accident apprasial fee ( $250.00 )if we had them appraise the damage but didn't have them do the work. I checked with my insurance first and they said no biggie and i made sure to ask the service writer again that if the bike was repaired there i would not be charged the fee. He said that was correct so i signed it. They had the bike a couple of weeks waiting on parts and called me on a saturday and said the bike was ready to ride but they were waiting on the frame sliders and gear shift lever and that could be another week or so. So if i wanted to get the bike now and bring it back when the final parts came in that would be fine. Insurance had already paid for everything and also waived my deductible because the guy that hit me was 100% at fault. So the service guy asked me "You were hit right" I said yes so he goes then you will need to pay the accident appraisal fee. I said what how is that. He goes it was the other guys fault so you can go after him. So we went back and forth on what i was told before i brought them the bike so he said he would talk to his supervisor. I called my insurance and explained what had occurred. They said the fee should be dropped but they went ahead and paid it so i wouldn't have to. I will say I have AAA insurance on my bike and they went above and beyond with how they handled my accident. My dealership on the other hand well i can't post what I'd really like to say...

Last edited by Weljo2001; 09-13-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I go to a dealer for service only as a last resort. If I really have to have something done that I cannot do, I try to find a local private shop. In North Houston we have Motorcycles Unlimited run by Patrick Hart. I have been using him since around 2003 or so I think. He has worked on multiple bikes. He has rebuilt my Ohlins suspension several times (because I abuse it...). He did a fantastic repair of a friend's ST-1300 that I borrowed, insured (thank goodness!), and managed to trash He cares about the quality of the work done in his shop and doesn't have that take it or leave it mentality so common to dealerships.

I would do some asking around and try real hard to find a good local shop. It is usually worth the effort.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
pacman
Forum Supporter

Since changing my employment to a job that requires quite a bit of travel, I have found myself in need of shop that I can trust. Since my local Kawasaki shop parts guy didn't even know that the "big dual sport" bike I was riding was a Kawasaki, my faith in their staff and abilities has been somewhat shaken.

The "big dual sport" in question:

Pacman

Kawasaki C14
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #15
Weljo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I go to a dealer for service only as a last resort. If I really have to have something done that I cannot do, I try to find a local private shop. In North Houston we have Motorcycles Unlimited run by Patrick Hart. I have been using him since around 2003 or so I think. He has worked on multiple bikes. He has rebuilt my Ohlins suspension several times (because I abuse it...). He did a fantastic repair of a friend's ST-1300 that I borrowed, insured (thank goodness!), and managed to trash He cares about the quality of the work done in his shop and doesn't have that take it or leave it mentality so common to dealerships.

I would do some asking around and try real hard to find a good local shop. It is usually worth the effort.

Yep,

I have been lucky and have found 2 really good independant shops close to me that i use when needed. But i took it to the dealer where i bought it because i thought it might be easier to deal with since most the parts would be ordered through Kawasaki. That was my first mistake.... Live & Learn..

Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
Weljo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Since changing my employment to a job that requires quite a bit of travel, I have found myself in need of shop that I can trust. Since my local Kawasaki shop parts guy didn't even know that the "big dual sport" bike I was riding was a Kawasaki, my faith in their staff and abilities has been somewhat shaken.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #17
klb1122

Quote:

Beautiful dual sport you have there!

2008 Kawasaki C-14
klb1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #18
wanabeguru

Take the crappy shop to small claims. YOUR accident/repair estimate including videos are worth the SAME hourly rate the "shop" charged to do a ripoff. My .02
Good luck
Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #19
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

Great dual sport..
05 CRF450X (for visitors - 2 off!!)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
00 XR200 (Daughter #1)
02 Gas Gas TXT200

Last edited by Thrasherg; 09-13-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #20
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

Quote:

I love the knobbly tyres, they must be fantastic in the mud. ����
05 CRF450X (for visitors - 2 off!!)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
00 XR200 (Daughter #1)
02 Gas Gas TXT200

Last edited by Thrasherg; 09-13-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote