TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #1
Scorch

Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Harvey came and my JD zero turn 757 lawnmower that was submerged in 4ft water for 8 days. I got it back to the house today and drained the engine oil, filled the crankcase with fresh oil and drained it again, then changed the filter and added the normal amount of oil. I siphoned all the gas/water from the fuel tank, and bled the fuel line. I removed the spark plugs and siphoned what water I could from the cylinders, and sprayed WD-40 in. I will drain the hydraulic oil and change the filter, and replace the fuel filter and air filter element. Last, I will replace the battery. I'll crank it over until I have displaced any residual water from the combustion chambers, then put the plugs back in and add fresh fuel.

Anything I am missing? Wish me luck!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
aspr

Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Do it all again. Hand crank with a socket wrench on the flywheel before using the starter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Windmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Harvey came and my JD zero turn 757 lawnmower that was submerged in 4ft water for 8 days. I got it back to the house today and drained the engine oil, filled the crankcase with fresh oil and drained it again, then changed the filter and added the normal amount of oil. I siphoned all the gas/water from the fuel tank, and bled the fuel line. I removed the spark plugs and siphoned what water I could from the cylinders, and sprayed WD-40 in. I will drain the hydraulic oil and change the filter, and replace the fuel filter and air filter element. Last, I will replace the battery. I'll crank it over until I have displaced any residual water from the combustion chambers, then put the plugs back in and add fresh fuel.

Anything I am missing? Wish me luck!
I would have a fan blowing on engine full time to make sure electrics are dry, and change oil again after a short run period. Spray everything with coat of WD40 especially carburetor and electric and cables. I bet you win round two. Keep us posted and just do it.
Flirting with Moses is cheating on Jesus Ex. 34:14
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #4
rsmith56

Air Filter.......
17 HD CVO LTD
rsmith56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
IndyRC

I submerged a dirt bike in a water crossing once. I changed the oil approx. 12 times before it stopped looking milky.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
SL350
Forum Supporter

Take the plug out before starting. You really don't want to hydrolock it. Crank it and watch the water shoot out.

EDIT: I reread your post and you are good on this!

If you can tilt it, turn it on the exhaust side and let that water out.

I just went through this with Harvey on a Honda commercial push mower. I had it popping to start but I had to leave it before it was running. Trick I picked up from a local shop was to use carb cleaner to purge the fuel line to the carb.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Oh, and don't burn up the starter motor. None are capable of sustained cranking. 10 seconds bursts, no more than 3 before 30 minutes to cool.

Smile

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350

Last edited by SL350; 09-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.
SL350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I have never tried it, but I have been told that you can use kerosene or diesel to flush the oil system multiple times to get it clean before you start putting oil back in the system. This is MUCH cheaper than using oil, even if you use some kind of cheap oil. I was told to install new filter, put in the diesel or kerosene, make sure the spark plug is removed, then crank the engine to get everything circulating through all the little lines and ports. Jumper cables and/or a spare battery might be needed depending on how much cranking and flushing it takes. Once you think the system is mostly clean, do the last flush with oil and then top off with fresh oil.

Diesel is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Of course, once you do this, you will not want to use the diesel in any motors. But it would probably still work for lighting a back yard bonfire or something similar.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
wanabeguru

get two 12 volt batteries[ assuming its a 12 volt system] and wire them to starter independent of remaining electrics. with a TRUSTED friend, one runs controls, the other manually connects starter to 24 volt battery[two 12's in series]. short time run on old/used starter. good luck
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
Windmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabeguru View Post
get two 12 volt batteries[ assuming its a 12 volt system] and wire them to starter independent of remaining electrics. with a TRUSTED friend, one runs controls, the other manually connects starter to 24 volt battery[two 12's in series]. short time run on old/used starter. good luck
Put 24 VDC to a 12VDC starter to do what turn motor faster, wouldn't it be bad for starter? Just curious
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
Scorch

One step closer--turned the motor over by hand and watched the oily water squirt from the spark plug holes. I was hoping to fire it up but ended by draining the hydraulic oil (which oddly enough is just motor oil). There is no drain plug for this, just the filter, and it's draining slooowly... may take all night, so I will check to see if it is done tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
SL350
Forum Supporter

I am hoping you dont have to rebuild the carb but its a real possibility.

Smile

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL350 View Post
That's the easy part

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I have never tried it, but I have been told that you can use kerosene or diesel to flush the oil system multiple times to get it clean before you start putting oil back in the system. This is MUCH cheaper than using oil, even if you use some kind of cheap oil. I was told to install new filter, put in the diesel or kerosene, make sure the spark plug is removed, then crank the engine to get everything circulating through all the little lines and ports. Jumper cables and/or a spare battery might be needed depending on how much cranking and flushing it takes. Once you think the system is mostly clean, do the last flush with oil and then top off with fresh oil.

Diesel is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Of course, once you do this, you will not want to use the diesel in any motors. But it would probably still work for lighting a back yard bonfire or something similar.
That's what some boat mechanics do with flooded sailboat engines.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Scorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL350 View Post
I wasn't planning on rebuilding the carb. I need to look it over and make sure it's not full of mud and drain it if I can.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
wanabeguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill View Post
Put 24 VDC to a 12VDC starter to do what turn motor faster, wouldn't it be bad for starter? Just curious
short time run on old/used starter; last sentence of post

Last edited by wanabeguru; 09-14-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add explanation
wanabeguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #16
wanabeguru

BTW: depending on how long the starter was run, for too long it would ruin the starter. That is why I recommended an old USED starter
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
focus frenzy

Old used Kawasaki starters are not that easy to come by unlike Briggs.
Diesel is not hygroscopic in the slightest. That's why diesel powered vehicles all have water separator drains.
You use diesel in a engine because it acts like a solvent and cleans out sludge and goo very well.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
Windmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabeguru View Post
short time run on old/used starter; last sentence of post
I was just curious, suppose it spins a lot faster.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #19
Scorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
Old used Kawasaki starters are not that easy to come by unlike Briggs.
Diesel is not hygroscopic in the slightest. That's why diesel powered vehicles all have water separator drains.
You use diesel in a engine because it acts like a solvent and cleans out sludge and goo very well.
Hygroscopic. I love that word! I always say "hydroscopic" though, even though I know it's not correct. It just sounds right.

Well, got off work and yep, all the oil drained out through the filter fitting, crazy that is drains so slowly. Anyway, put the new filter on and added two gallons of cheap O'Reilly motor oil to the reservoir for the initial run.

I looked over the carb to see if I could drain the bowl but it appears to be connected to the engine by magic, I can't see an easy way to remove it, so I sprayed some carb cleaner through the air inlet and said a prayer. Replaced the fuel filter then connected the new battery and turned the key... nothing.

Oh right, it has an interlock with the parking brake, so I moved the brake handle to the Park position, turned the key and it spun nicely, throwing out a fine mist from the plug holes. Yes! I screwed the plug back in and with my Papa hitting the carb with well timed spurts of starter fluid, it fired up and chugged to life. After a few minutes the engine smoothed out real nice like, so I threw the handles forward and away we went. I made some technical maneuvers, mostly right and left and circle, to give the hydraulics a whirl, then engaged the PTO. The engine slowed way down, almost died, but managed to keep going, the blades spun without mishap.

I let the engine run for another 10 minutes, then put her up. I'll get the new air filter when it comes in, run it again and then change oil and hydraulic oil again, and grease the hail out of it. Yay!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #20
Windmill

Congratulations good job. Thanks for the report.