TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

I'm finally recovered enough to get out for a proper ride. As it so happens, it looks like amazing weather this coming Saturday. Since I'm not totally healed, this will be an easy ride and I'm going to re-use the route from last time.

Meet time is at 0830 on the left side of the Buc-ee's in Waller at 290 & 362. We'll probably head out around 9. Lunch will be at Orsak's in Fayetteville. Plan on this being an all day ride, I won't be in a hurry.

In:

1) William Wolfen
2) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike
3) bsheet2
4) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike #2
5)


Maybe:

1) Max GS
2) dannyboy
3) Silver Bullet
4)
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale

Last edited by William Wolfen; 09-08-2017 at 08:48 AM.
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
jdsmetx
 
jdsmetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 146
Re: 9/9 "I'm Back" Dual Sport Ride

Dang! <kicks dirt> just when I have to go back to work. I'll try and catch the next one.
Heal up so we can go fast next time!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Joe

DR650 "Donkey"
DL1000 "Thunder"
jdsmetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
dannyboy
 
dannyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NW HOUSTON
Posts: 238
Re: 9/9 "I'm Back" Dual Sport Ride

Put me in as a maybe.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,268
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Healed? I thought you were already good. Did you have another incident after that dog strike a while back?
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Healed? I thought you were already good. Did you have another incident after that dog strike a while back?
Yeah. Front end wash out at 10mph in a parking lot. Resulted in a broken heel bone. That was 7 weeks ago. Finally back on the bike.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,268
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Doh! I had not heard about that one! Heel breaks are often exceptionally painful and sore for a long time. Did it require surgery?
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Doh! I had not heard about that one! Heel breaks are often exceptionally painful and sore for a long time. Did it require surgery?
No surgery. Just a couple well defined and smooth fracture lines. Was only really painful the first 2 weeks. Now I'm rebuilding strength and flexibility. I can almost walk normally after it loosens up.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
snip
Will you be joining us?
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,268
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wolfen View Post
Will you be joining us?
I wish. My schedule is not real riding friendly in the foreseeable future...
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 &quot;I'm Back&quot; Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I wish. My schedule is not real riding friendly in the foreseeable future...
Most unfortunate. Hopefully that will change!
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
bsheet2
 
bsheet2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 489
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

I plan to join in!
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

A good point was brought up to me about this ride concerning the availability of gas. I'm going to try and call around and see if stations have any along the route. I know there is gas in Cypress, where I live. We'll see how that pans out, but a 200+ mile range wouldn't hurt coming from Houston.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

An initial look at gas buddy shows that several stations along the route have had gas price updates in the last 24 hours. This bodes well for gas availability.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
dannyboy
 
dannyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NW HOUSTON
Posts: 238
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

See everyone in the morning.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
Fordf350
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pinehurst
Posts: 26
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

Just got back in town. Sorry to have missed this. Hopefully next time.
Fordf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #16
Cagiva 549
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cypress Tx
Posts: 2,724
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

I passed three bikes at a side road and 159 just west of industry , how chewed up was the low water crossing at cummins creek . I went for a blackened New York strip steak for lunch , sure was tasty .
__________________
David H
00 Cagiva GC
04 KTM 950
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagiva 549 View Post
I passed three bikes at a side road and 159 just west of industry , how chewed up was the low water crossing at cummins creek . I went for a blackened New York strip steak for lunch , sure was tasty .
Not sure if it was us. We did go through there. The crossing was still under water. No idea on condition.


Edit: Thinking back, if you were on a red sport touring type bike, it was us.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale

Last edited by William Wolfen; 09-09-2017 at 10:46 PM.
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #18
dannyboy
 
dannyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NW HOUSTON
Posts: 238
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

I had a great time. Thanks for organizing and leading William you did a great job.
I hope Rob figures out what his bike problem is and lets us know what it is.

His bike would only go click when pushing the start button. (trust me we tried everything)
I googled it and one guy had the same problem and he took the ground wire off on the frame end and sanded the paint off and it works fantastic.
That ground has a special washer that is supposed to punch thru the paint to the metal frame and it was not doing the trick, so sanding the paint off gave it a great ground.
We tried to find the other end of the ground wire but it was buried somewhere.

Last edited by dannyboy; 09-10-2017 at 08:39 AM.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
bsheet2
 
bsheet2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 489
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

Really nice ride yesterday! Thanks so much for hosting and leading the ride.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
William Wolfen
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 379
Re: 9/9 I'm Back - Dual Sport Ride

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the ride. I'll likely be hosting another in a couple weeks. I think we'll ride the New Waverly route I mentioned at lunch.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.19064 seconds with 10 queries