TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
_RG_

Postcard from the great San Juans

Aspen colors just starting to show at higher elevations. Some bright splotches at 10K. The things change incredibly fast.

48 this morning... days are getting cooler.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
sanderjavant

Re: Postcard from the great San Juans

Very nice!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
tshelfer

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
_RG_

OK.... Ryman creek trail has to be the pride of some diabolical masochists trying to convince flat-landers like me to stay down south and never even look to the north.

Yes, that is a solid vertical rock wall on a steep and loose climb where going over the edge ends badly. This whole thing is off the chart.

This is one of three crazy guys from Poland who dared to run this trail with me. They live in Denver and their English is pretty sketchy but they can ride motorcycles like they're possessed. Maybe that's all they have to do over there... They are certifiably NUTS! Sort of the European version of Larry, Curly and Mo after way too much caffeine.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

But did YOU make it up the vertical wall...?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
But did YOU make it up the vertical wall...?
NO... I did not.

The picture should have included the ledge in front of my rear tire when I took the one of the wall. On my best day, under ideal conditions and wearing my lucky fur lined thong, I might make it up this trail. (But don't bet on it)

That day was wet. Friend who lives in Ophir had warned me not to attempt this one if it was the slightest bit wet. HE WAS RIGHT.

Here's a much kinder and far gentler trail known as the East Fork.

These things are changing color by the hour.

One of the crew practicing his "lean wayyy right" technique.

Seems to be in pretty good shape at trails end.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
On my best day, under ideal conditions and wearing my lucky fur lined thong...

I REALLY didn't need that mental image

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 09-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Montejay
Forum Supporter

Nice pictures and fun times. Ouray, Co. area is one of my favorite places.
Montejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
_RG_

Made a huge loop today of mostly high altitude FS roads. The idea was to stay along the western border of the Lizard Head wilderness to the Wilson Mesa trail near Telluride. Guess where the rain had been? Yep, water running down the trail when we got there. I went up a couple hundred yards and looked back. Riding would have damaged the trail in a really bad way. I turned around and called it for another day. Rotten situation, however, the ice cream wagon in Rico just happened to be open on the way back.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The area West of Telluride and Rico is really awesome. It was there that the infamous pic of my 1150 GS napping upside down was taken.

Quote:

Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

RG, killer photos. I really tried to come back to Durango after I finished my work in Denver but after more than two weeks away from home I just couldn't swing it. Should have though.

I did a few of the rides you and I did the year before but I was never able to find any killer single track. Everything I tried had signs saying no motorcycles. Need to go back and learn more of the area single track.

Have fun up there for all of us stuck in the heat, we miss the turning of the trees.
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
_RG_

It was time for the crew to enjoy a little high altitude aerobic workout.

The Bear Creek trail is classic Rico goodness. It starts out with several snuglish switchbacks that help ensure those making the ascent have proper business attempting this trail. If not, going back is a short trip. Make the switchbacks and the rest will be plenty fun and challenging for anyone.

We tried to go up the mountain by the Little Bear trail. It basically follows the creek straight up. Coming down this one would be fun. Going up it is not. No switchbacks and nonstop rocks, roots and scree. We turned back.

This poor rascal was seriously spent. I've rarely seen a rider make it to this point of exhaustion. 11,000 feet and Rico single track can humble just about anyone. I won't go into what it took to get this guy and his motorcycle off the mountain.

The Grindstone trail is one way to come up from Bear Creek.

Such challenges are not uncommon despite excellent trail maintenance from some local folks.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

RG, freaking amazing !!!! Good for you! Keep um coming and where are the GPX files
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
_RG_

The tailbone said it was time for a leisurely day on the big bike. Rico single track is beyond awesome but about three days in a row seems to be my current limit.

So... off for some solo Alpine Loop adventure stuff. First - up to Telluride just to see the circus. Their blues fest is going on this weekend and I'm pretty sure they've lined up about every last port-a-potty in the southwestern US in honor of it.

You know you're in Telluride when... I mean a buck and a half for air?

Then out the backdoor to Imogene Pass. It was about the toughest trip I can remember making on this one. The "road" is really loose this year starting from just above town all the way to the pass. There's also a jeeping jamboree going on so traffic was a challenge. But, it was a clear day and the views were good.

A look at the Black Bear switchbacks from just above Telluride by the tunnel.

And at the pass.

Rode on down the mountain into Ouray to one of my traditional favorites.

And across the street for a quick smackling.

Then a spirited run up Corkscrew. Always fun.

It's started...

From the peaks I could see rain in spots across the San Juans so I skipped Animas Forks and took a quick route into Silverton. This is another favorite. The owner is a great guy and a fine off-road motorcyclist who just happens to make the best funnel cakes I know of.

There was a cloud towards Black Bear Pass but it looked more to the south so I took a chance it would be dry and rode that way.

It was in fine shape so I headed on down into Telluride again.

After navigating through all the pretentiousness of Telluride once again, shadows were getting longish and it was time to turn knobs back toward camp. Along 145 folks were out taking pictures in the evening light so I figured...why not.

I rolled it in just about dusk with a totally gratifying moto tiredness that only those who venture on two wheels will ever understand.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
TDtrans

your the MAN rg thanks for the pics
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #16
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

A trail named "Grindstone" would give me pause to consider...

Riding that big KTM down Black Bear would also give me pause to consider!

Quote:

Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
_RG_

Quote:
A trail named "Grindstone" would give me pause to consider...

Riding that big KTM down Black Bear would also give me pause to consider!
Grindstone was about our only choice for getting off Bear Creek. It's a technical hill climb that goes on for quite a while and gets your blood pumping. The only other option - Little Bear trail looks to be a downhill run. The lower 1/3 that we rode up was ridable but just too doggone brutal to be much fun. And, there was no chance at all the guy pictured DOA on the trail was ever going to make it. That part of the trail is the least accessible so the show MUST go on... somehow.

Black Bear on the 1190 seemed like such a great idea - right up until I rolled over the cables. But, at that point, what choice do you have? Those brief few moments of descent will dang sure sharpen one's focus. And in my case, put a remarkably sharp crease down the center of the saddle.

Well, moving eastward - today finds us in the Rio Grande NF well east of Creede, Colorado. Getting over here was pretty tense. Pulling the RV over Wolf Creek Pass in a pouring rain mixed with sleet was NO FUN! I don't understand the local's issue with going 10 mph on the downhill side...?

This will be new territory for me but from every indication there are trails all over this area (and a lot closer to Texas). Many on the MVUM are single track motorcycle only. We saw 38 on the thermometer this morning. Here's the view out the front door earlier.

Last edited by _RG_; 09-18-2017 at 10:22 AM.
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
Vinny
Forum Supporter

I'm in Ecuador reading about your adventures . Great report. Can't believe you took that beautiful 1190 down black bear. You be crazy man !

Lots of riding around here . I have to get you and your wife here sometime .
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #19
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I have spent a lot of time looking over maps of the area East of Southfork. I've never done any dirt riding in that area. It looks enticing. Can't wait to see what you found!

Quote:

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
TXGHOSTRIDER

Quote:
I have spent a lot of time looking over maps of the area East of Southfork. I've never done any dirt riding in that area. It looks enticing. Can't wait to see what you found!
I have been looking there too. I have done Lake City twice now. It is fun, but I am looking for new territory.

I did ride some around Saguache last year, and I found a good county road path from Lake City to 114 near Saguache this year (72 miles of mostly dirt one way!).

Craig
TXGHOSTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote