• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

03 VTX starting issues

Reaction score
WHave a puzzling question for y'all pls.
Loooking for possible causes/solition.

Have an 03 vtx in the garage that refuses to show any signs of life.
Rode it yesterday around the block to make sure all was ok after it had sat unridden for a few months. Its current does not ride but, fired it occasionally. According to him it always fired on the first go. It did the same for me. After coming back from the short ride it has refused to fire.

Thought it might be the battery but, when connected to a battery tender/charger post ride it read as not connected and none of the idiot lights including the gauges on the bike come on.

Is there something electrical/mechanical or do I have to look for something Lojack like?

Tnx in advance

The lights on the battery tender don't register a connected battery?

It's possible that whatever gremlin afflicts this bike fried both a main fuse and the tender when you hooked it up. I'd check the main fuses, and also try a different tender.

Did you check the battery voltage with a meter?

VTX 1300 or VTX 1800? There was a ground issue in the VTX 1800 02-04 models where they didn't remove the powdercoat at the primary chassis ground, and it would oxidize over time and create a high-resistance ground, leading the bike to eat batteries and have electrical gremlin issues. It's a pretty quick fix. An easy method of testing to see if you have this issue is to add a secondary ground from the negative battery post to the frame under the right side cover secondary electronics ground- just use some big (I used 2ga) wire and if that fixes the issue, that's your problem.

Also- check the battery connections- tighten them with a wrench, not a screwdriver.

Thank you all for the help.
Yes indeed Cheez, it is an 03 VTX 1800.
Will try it out this evening.

Go to answer on a Honda that does this-shot battery. Could be something else, but generally a battery issue. Loose connectors and bad ground will act the same.

Start with the easy stuff first. Check the kill switch is on. I have missed that.Then have the battery tested. Might have had enough juice to start it once after sitting for a long time but alternator didn't have time to charge it. Check the fuses. I think it is on the left side 30 amp. Do the ground fix. You can find it on the VTXOA.com site. If none of tho work, It may be in the starter switch as these bikes have a history of problems with those switches. I used to have an 03 C model. Another good spot for the X bike is on Bareass choppers.com lastly join the Texas X Riders.

Finally had a little time to take a look at what ailed the VTX.
As I said previously I tried to charge the battery but, no good.
Tried as suggested, to give it an auxiliary neg/ground, but still no good.
It was when I arched the battery leads that I, as suggested needed/started to focus on the battery, b/c no spark.

I thus disconnected the battery leads (was lacking clearance) and attached jumper cables directly to the battery leads.

All I can now say ITS ALIVE!!!

It ran like a champ, when connected through jumper cables to my truck's battery.
Next step will be, as suggested to charge/test the battery.

What worries me is
a. The very first time and only the first time I fired it, it actually fired when the ignition key was in the off position.
b. When I disconnected the jumper cables the engine died. Isn't it supposed to be able to run with the battery disconnected?

Any who will get the battery tested and we'll see from there.

Tnx y'all for all the help
Pls keep the suggestions coming, they're much appreciated

That sounds like the ground issue I mentioned. When you jump it off the truck, you're giving it a low-resistance path to the truck's ground plane. When that's gone, the high-resistance main electronics ground isn't enough, and shuts the bike down. This would be true with or without the battery in the circuit.

Op said he tried aux grd.
Run with batt DISCONNECTED, NOT USUALLY, as the alternator requires battery voltage to produce an output[unlike the old GENERATORS that when spun would make voltage].
IMHO, this is a battery issue. See my above post.
Good luck!

OOO never disconnect a battery on a motorcycle with it running!

you might get away with it on a motorcycle that uses a actual alternator, but most motorcycles use AC generators and you can fry the regulator and or cause a voltage spike that fries bulbs and electronics.

the same thing applies to modern cars, disconnecting the battery causes a sudden voltage spike that electronics don't take well to.

the primitive practice of testing a alternator by disconnecting the battery cable dates from the 60's well before integrated chips found their way into cars.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This. I learned a lot about generators when my Strom went dark.

OOO never disconnect a battery on a motorcycle with it running!

you might get away with it on a motorcycle that uses a actual alternator, but most motorcycles use AC generators and you can fry the regulator and or cause a voltage spike that fries bulbs and electronics.

the same thing applies to modern cars, disconnecting the battery causes a sudden voltage spike that electronics don't take well to.

the primitive practice of testing a alternator by disconnecting the battery cable dates from the 60's well before integrated chips found their way into cars.

Leon: I respectfully disagree with your statement implying an AC generator is not an alternator. Having said that, I still hold that disconnecting a battery from a [DC] GENERATOR SYSTEM continues to power a running engine[ worked on my '57 Ford 272] due to a PERMANENT MAGNET field unlike an alternator that uses a BATTERY POWERED FIELD to cause an output to be generated.
You are very correct to warn of spikes[voltage surges] because of modern electronics running the engine[ FI, etc].
Bottom line, try a known good battery and see what happens-since a ground was provided. Failing that you need a tech good at bike electrical systems/wiring diagrams.
To the OP: Good luck!

Last edited:
Finally had a little time to take a look at what ailed the VTX.
As I said previously I tried to charge the battery but, no good.
Tried as suggested, to give it an auxiliary neg/ground, but still no good.
It was when I arched the battery leads that I, as suggested needed/started to focus on the battery, b/c no spark.

I thus disconnected the battery leads (was lacking clearance) and attached jumper cables directly to the battery leads.

All I can now say ITS ALIVE!!!

It ran like a champ, when connected through jumper cables to my truck's battery.
Next step will be, as suggested to charge/test the battery.

What worries me is
a. The very first time and only the first time I fired it, it actually fired when the ignition key was in the off position.
b. When I disconnected the jumper cables the engine died. Isn't it supposed to be able to run with the battery disconnected?

Any who will get the battery tested and we'll see from there.

Tnx y'all for all the help
Pls keep the suggestions coming, they're much appreciated

Maybe I missed this important fact: if it fired with the key OFF, my guess is a BAD IGNITION SWITCH. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it shouldn't fire/run withe the key OFF as you stated.

Back