• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Loss of compression

My stock 2006 BMW 650 single pipe glowed while idling. Only noticeable at night and never caused a problem. I wouldn't worry about a glowing exhaust pipe.

Mine got blue after the shot ride. Got new sparks, removed all mods, will put everything back together and will check compression on hot engine. Then will take a short ride.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

OK, I've disconnected battery and let it stay for a whole day, the ECU should reset itself. Then I've put new plugs, and run bike for 15-20 minutes. There was a lot of smoke, probably because I've poured oil in cylinders before. Then I've measured compression on the hot engine, and it was normal.I did a short run, about 3-4 miles, I see no more overheating and backfire. My bike runs very smooth. Thanks to everyone for your help. :rider:

Now I have to polish my pipes :) Take out this terrible blue color.

For future reference when you need or want to tune a fuel injected motorcycle that doesn't use a wide band O2 sensor, you are best off getting a piggy back auto tuner that uses a wide band O2 sensor.
They will adjust how much fuel they add or subtract based on the signal from the wide band sensor, they also can pay for them-self in fuel savings.
The air fuel ration that is best varies with load, RPM, and temperature and even rate of throttle change, on bikes that use a wide band open loop system, they can self adjust for some modifications, bypassing the sensor can really wreck havoc (as you found out) with the fueling

Sooooo, what was the repair that fixed it? Just curious.

I think I've messed up ECU with all those O2 mods. Fixed by removing all mods, went back to stock, resetting ECU and replacing spark plugs,

BTW, sparks looks very clean now. Will give it more run and will double check.

For future reference when you need or want to tune a fuel injected motorcycle that doesn't use a wide band O2 sensor, you are best off getting a piggy back auto tuner that uses a wide band O2 sensor.
They will adjust how much fuel they add or subtract based on the signal from the wide band sensor, they also can pay for them-self in fuel savings.
The air fuel ration that is best varies with load, RPM, and temperature and even rate of throttle change, on bikes that use a wide band open loop system, they can self adjust for some modifications, bypassing the sensor can really wreck havoc (as you found out) with the fueling

Yeah, I think I'm done with O2 mods for a while ;)

I was able to restore shiny look of pipes with "Blue Job" [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNP3YBE/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1427583660"]Amazon.com: Blue Job Chrome Exhaust Polish (Removes Exhaust Pipe Bluing) - 14g Tub: Automotive[/ame]

Back