• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New here

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Chavez
Hola, gents. I'm Joel and this is my first post here. I've recently come across an '87 VFR700 I'm purchasing from a guy in College Station this Friday at a good deal. This will be my first bike, but I've ridden some many moons ago. Any advise for a rookie? What can I expect from the bike as far as reliability, comfort and gas mileage? Thanks for you insight and hope to be a regular here. Later.:rider:

In Christ,

Joel C.

Welcome to the madness, fellow saint. I don't know much about the VFRs but I do know it's always good to meet another member of the brotherhood of Christ, even in cyberspace.

Hope to meet you one day - your place is close to fair roads. :-)

Welcome Joel.

With any 20 year old equipment, you should be suspicious of the operating condition and reliability of the VFR. If everything has checked out (by yourself if you're mechanically inclined or a good shop), start with shorter trips not too far from home base. Keep your mobile phone with you and know some buds are around or the number for a good towing service just in case.

Hopefully you won't have any problems.
Take it easy, review your MSF material and practice in deserted areas as much as feasible.

Howdy Joel, :wave:

The VFR's are darn near bullet-proof if properly taken care of. Don't know much about that particular model (Mine's an '02) but haven't heard anything negative about them.

Check out VFR Discussion for more info then you ever wanted to know about the VFR.

As for the newbie part, go take the MSF course if you haven't. Its really worth it even if you have ridden before.
Beyond that, take it easy and know your limits.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

In addition to the RTE this weekend, there are regular bike nights in Montgomery and Huntsville. The ride to Montgomery from there is better than it is to here though. Just check the Upcoming Rides/Trips/Events forum for info.

Hi 'ya Joel! WElCOME!!

I'm a newbie too so I have no "bike-advice"...I only know me likes the beemers! Hope to meet you on a pie-run one day!
Have fun!:rider:

Thanks for all the insight guys and gals. I pick up the bike tomorrow sometime and trailer it home. I'm soooooo excited. The MSF course sounds like sound advise. Thanks folks. :rider:

In Christ,

Joel C.

Jeremiah 29:11

I must like them, sold the first one and
texasrose.jpg

couldn't stand it so I bought another one just like it.
yellowstone.jpg

:rider:

Well, I picked up the bike last Saturday and I'm currently on cloud nine. It's so awesome to ride again after nearly 20yrs of being bikeless. I took my written test on Thursday and passed.:clap: Now comes the riding test sometime this week. I've been practicing on empty lots near the house. The bike runs great, but is a bit cold natured. I had been told of this for these practicular bikes. No big deal though. Well, must go and saw some logs. :yawn: Hope you meet some of ya soon. Later.:rider:

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
I too have just resumed riding after a 20 year hiatus. (wow spellcheck says i spelled hiatus right on the first shot :eek2: :eek2:)

I HIGHLY recommend taking the MSF course. it really really REALLY has helped me get my wheels back under me as well as taught me quite a bit that i didnt know. I figured i owed it to my wife and kids to give myself every advantage while scootin' around what is the madness of DFW roadways.

Glad you joined us ~

Back