• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Keyless gas cap?

Swagfu

Reaction score
Anyone using a keyless gas cap? Any pros and cons? Thoughts?

Bought 1990 cbr1000f and it has three separate keys for ignition, tank and helmet lock/seat removal. Would like to get down to one or two only.

I have one on my DRZ, and it makes me a bit uneasy when I park in sketchy/unfamiliar areas. It's more about vandalism (sugar cubes?) than fuel theft, but I guess I'm a bit paranoid.

I think if you can get the unit(s) off the bike, most locksmiths can re-key the cylinders. Just take the two that are easiest to remove.

Wait till your key wont open your gas cap and you will be an instant fan...ask me how i know...lol
Ive run them for years with no problems...

I have had both. I much prefer keyless and have had zero problems.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If you get one, stay away from the cheap chinese ebay ones that screw in. They have a tendency to expand/stick just enough that you can't get them loose by hand after sitting in the sun. Plus, the anodizing fades in the sun extremely quickly. I've also heard of issues with venting on the cheapo's too.

I used a Driven 1/4 turn keyless one on my old Z1000 (the oem keyed cap was acting up, so I removed it before the mechanism broke entirely and I couldn't open it). I remember it was pretty expensive, but very nicely made.

Zong Shen put matching locks on the ignition, fork lock, seat lock, gas cap, top box, and panniers of the RX3. Another very nice detail the bike features.

I've had one on most every bike I have owned except the Vstrom but not from a lack of trying. I've bought two so far that didn't fit it right, otherwise it too would be rocking a keyless cap. Nothing irritates me more than having to take my keys out just to gas up...

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I would like to go keyless, but the price of the nice ones is a deterrent for me. Can someone suggest or link me to something more reasonable that would fit my 90 cbr1000f? I am having a hard time finding something less than $100. I looked at the Driven brand and it was almost $80 just for the base. I don't think I want to spend $150 or more for a gas cap.

Go to ebay and search for gas cap dude. It's all chinesium, usually ultra cheap, but honestly I've never had deep regrets abotu buying from him. I figure if you are spending 30 to 40 bucks for some of these its close to guilt free. They have a newsletter they send out on new products occasionally and they actually have some pretty nifty products listed from time to time for all types of motorcycles.. Both newer styles and older. Hope that helps.

Frankly you reminded me it's time to check out some farkles and gizmos, lol.

Here's a direct link to their store if you care to browse the stuff... http://stores.ebay.com/gas-cap-dude

I forget there is also the2wheels on ebay as well and he has a crazy variety of things other than gas caps, in case you start looking at LED bar ends and all kinds of crazy stuff, lol...

Thanks for all the input fellas. After debating all the options and searching all over the internet at different styles... I went with the Vortex V3.

Sugared in high school, good reason to turn my XL250 into a monster (bored, stroked, ported, cam and springs, exhaust, intake, Mikuni, etc.). My brother left for boot when the bike was stock, came back after the overhaul, stole it, got to the end of the drive, got off, pushed it back to the garage, grinning sheepishly. heeheeheehee

No problems 45 years since. 2 of my TWs have plastic tanks, no problems.

Switched to one on my Strom about 2 years ago. Ain't going back to keyed.

Bought 1990 cbr1000f and it has three separate keys for ignition, tank and helmet lock/seat removal.

Is this a salvaged bike? The last Honda I owned was an 84 Interceptor and I think 1 key worked for everything.

No, not a salvage bike, but somewhere along the way in its 27 years of life some things got replaced for whatever reason. i had a 90 cbr1000f before s=and it had 2 keys. But I didn't buy that brand new either. So I really don't know how many keys it's supposed to have. I just know 3 is too many.

Back