• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico trailer/ride

Reaction score
We are looking at a September trip to New Mexico, starting in Granbury.
To overcome 9 hours of sheer Texas heat and boredom on hwy 287 we want to trailer the beemer to some place like Santa Fe and dump the trailer and cage for a week.
Anyone ever do this in that area, or know where we might store car and trailer securely?
Thanks,
Mike

We are looking at a September trip to New Mexico, starting in Granbury.
To overcome 9 hours of sheer Texas heat and boredom on hwy 287 we want to trailer the beemer to some place like Santa Fe and dump the trailer and cage for a week.
Anyone ever do this in that area, or know where we might store car and trailer securely?
Thanks,
Mike

Can tell you about areas above and around Albuquerque. Are you affiliated with a church? You can always ask to store the trailer in their parking lot. Are you doing pavement or dirt? Drew

We're doing pavement. Just don't want the heat and boredom of getting out of Texas.
Was looking around the Santa Fe area as a starting point.

Depends on how much time you have. If you have a lot of time I'd go into lower Colorado. Have ideas about that also. Several TWTers just got back from trips there. Jeff S and TShelfer just came back. Anyhow if it was me I would do it this way. Ok from Santa Fe take 84 north to 64. Then 64 to just north of Taos then turn north again towards Questa(38). Go around the Enchanted circle (38) till you arrive at 434. Take 434 south to Mora,NM. Finally you can loop back around to Santa Fe on 518 south and 84 west. Kinda do the circle thing. Drew

A few years ago the wife and I trailered to Sipipu, spent the night there and they let us leave the Yukon and trailer. We made a loop up into Colorado, over to four corners and back to Sipipu to spend the last night. When we left for home it was 45 and 100 by the time we got to Amarillo. Rooms @ Sipipu were clean, cheap and not to plush. I agree on the 9 hours ... punishment enough in an air conditioned car.:giveup: http://www.sipapunm.com

We trailed to Bishops Lodge in Santa fe and stayed there as our home base for riding. They have a few parking lots as the property is spread across a hillside. You could easily drop your trailer there and it would blend in.

Is Raton NM too close for ya?
The Raton Police Dept has a lot to store vehicle/trailers for a small fee.
There's a boat-load of Texas BMW rigs there right now, dropping the trailers and heading to the BMW rally in Salem Or.

Raton PD is exactly what we were looking for and it's the perfect jump off point for northern NM, Colorado and a quick Grand Canyon trip.
THANKS!!!

Raton PD is exactly what we were looking for and it's the perfect jump off point for northern NM, Colorado and a quick Grand Canyon trip.
THANKS!!!

How many days do you have? Is this your first trip there? You will love the north NM south CO roads. If your base is Raton then you can still do the loop or go north to Colorado first then back down to New Mexico. If you want a scenic route thru lower Colorado let me know. What will you be riding? I can't wait till you do a ride report. Drew

Kickstand,
Raton will be 1st night and vehicle dump. We are on a beemer LT so no dirt for us.
Planning on riding Taos-Red River on day 2 and overnight in Chama, then up in to sw Colorado and just take it on a day by day.
Total trip from departure to return will be 9 days, 7 days on the bike.
I used to ride NM a lot in the early 90's solo so this will be the wife's 1st trip.

Route suggestions are always appreciated.

Last edited:
Kickstand,
Raton will be 1st night and vehicle dump. We are on a beemer LT so no dirt for us.
Planning on riding Taos-Red River on day 2 and overnight in Chama, then up in tot sw Colorado and just take it on a day by day.
Total trip from departure to return will be 9 rays, 7 days on the bike.
I used to ride NM a lot in the early 90's solo so this will be the wife's 1st trip.

Route suggestions are always appreciated.

Are you riding the train in Chama? Do you already have a place to stay in Chama? What ever you do don't miss the train ride it is so cool,your wife will love it. Kinda romantic hand holding views you won't see from the bike. The enchanted circle (38) is a must and 434 from Mora to the circle is really nice. 68,64w,are both really nice scenic roads with a lot of picture taking opportunities. Drew

From Chama take 84 north to Pagosa Springs,CO. Then 160 to South Fork,next 149 all the way to Gunnison. In Gunnison stay at the Long Holiday and eat a The W cafe for breakfast. This area is very scenic and twisty so allow plenty of travel time. Next on the way to Montrose(50) take the better half to The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Beautiful views and nice place to streach your legs. In Montrose eat a steak at the Red Barn. After Montrose turn south on 550 the Million Dollar highway and follow all the way to Durango. Plenty of places like Ouray and so on to stop on the way down. Finally take 160 to Mesa Verde national park and enjoy the cliff dwellings. Then from there head to the Grand Canyon. Thats what I would do if it were me but others might have different routes they may suggest. Any chance you have room in your saddle bag for me ,you won't even notice I'm there!:rofl: Drew

Wildfires may or may not be an issue by September. The best resource I have found for wildfire info is: http://inciweb.org The ride KP just suggested while high on my list is not one I would take right now or the last three weeks thanks to the smoke, and traffic issues due to the "West Fork Complex"... still only 50% contained.

Tons of great roads up that way. The Enchanted circle is good, as mentioned. If you are an NRA member, you can stay in a youth cabin at the Whittington Center outside Raton for very little money, and it's a beautiful piece of property.

Here's the Raton contact info everyone was passing around last week... I think the buzz word was $5 per day.
Not bad for police video security peace of mind.

Raton Police
224 Savage Ave
Raton, NM 87740

•Phone: 1-575-445-2704

Trailer your bike to Las Vegas NM and leave it at the Las Vegas RV park. For a few bucks a day, you get a secure place to park and a shower if you want it when you return. The place is located on 582, I think, and you can get to Taos in no time. Great launching pad.

From Chama take 84 north to Pagosa Springs,CO. Then 160 to South Fork,next 149 all the way to Gunnison. In Gunnison stay at the Long Holiday and eat a The W cafe for breakfast. This area is very scenic and twisty so allow plenty of travel time. Next on the way to Montrose(50) take the better half to The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Beautiful views and nice place to streach your legs. In Montrose eat a steak at the Red Barn. After Montrose turn south on 550 the Million Dollar highway and follow all the way to Durango. Plenty of places like Ouray and so on to stop on the way down. Finally take 160 to Mesa Verde national park and enjoy the cliff dwellings. Then from there head to the Grand Canyon. Thats what I would do if it were me but others might have different routes they may suggest. Any chance you have room in your saddle bag for me ,you won't even notice I'm there!:rofl: Drew

I went through Las Vegas up to Angel Fire then Taos then lots of south CO including the roads above in the opposite direction in the last week. Those are great suggestions.

If you happen to be hungry around Lake City, go to Poker Alice's, which is a place owned by a Waco couple that lives up there to run the restaurant while the roads are open.

149 was closed at Wolf Creek Pass until a few days ago because of the fires but is now open. Google maps wouldn't let me route through there yesterday but I went anyway then the guy at the motel told me it had been closed. That may have been why traffic was so light. :rider:

I went through Santa Fe on the way home today just to see it since I've never been there (that I can remember). Won't do that again in the summer.

I'm not one to trailer my bike, but sitting at a hotel in Levelland tonight, I'm thinking I may have to agree that getting through west Texas and east NM is best done in an air conditioned cage with the GS shamefully being towed behind (hiding its face from the cameras of course). We'll see how I feel when I go again next year, (or next month?).

Trailer your bike to Las Vegas NM and leave it at the Las Vegas RV park. For a few bucks a day, you get a secure place to park and a shower if you want it when you return. The place is located on 582, I think, and you can get to Taos in no time. Great launching pad.

hmmm... the GS is getting closer to being on a trailer for the next ride.....:giveup:

no, absolutely no socially redeeming value or style points for traversing US287 on 2 wheels, in the summer!

in addition to the heat, the cross winds, in the panhandle, are horrendous

sounds like common sense has prevailed

THE HUNGRY LOGGER in south fork used to be a really good place to eat

also, THE DURANGO DINER, on the west side of main in durango, serves up a wonderful & very filling breakfast(ask them to serve it w/ the sauce on the side for self preservation purposes)

MICHAEL'S KITCHEN in taos is good anytime of the day

THE MILLION DOLLAR HWY (US550 between silverton & ouray) is least intimidating going north bound

don't forget your BUTLER MAPS COLORADO MAP & GUIDE BOOK

have fun

shiny side up

sw

no, absolutely no socially redeeming value or style points for traversing US287 on 2 wheels, in the summer!

in addition to the heat, the cross winds, in the panhandle, are horrendous

sounds like common sense has prevailed

THE HUNGRY LOGGER in south fork used to be a really good place to eat

also, THE DURANGO DINER, on the west side of main in durango, serves up a wonderful & very filling breakfast(ask them to serve it w/ the sauce on the side for self preservation purposes)

MICHAEL'S KITCHEN in taos is good anytime of the day

THE MILLION DOLLAR HWY (US550 between silverton & ouray) is least intimidating going north bound

don't forget your BUTLER MAPS COLORADO MAP & GUIDE BOOK

have fun

shiny side up

sw

For the full effect if you like shear drop offs south bond 550 is the way to go!!!:lol2: During that portion of the ride your wife might squeeze the stuffing out of you:thumb:. You could do the loop opposite but then you will have a slightly longer trek to the Grand Canyon. Thanks swoody on the eatery info for my next trip. Drew

For the full effect if you like shear drop offs south bond 550 is the way to go!!!:lol2: During that portion of the ride your wife might squeeze the stuffing out of you:thumb:. You could do the loop opposite but then you will have a slightly longer trek to the Grand Canyon. Thanks swoody on the eatery info for my next trip. Drew

hey drew

i didn't get this fat knot knowin where the good food was to be had!!!

sw

hey drew

i didn't get this fat knot knowin where the good food was to be had!!!

sw

I can't pass up a good eating establishment either.:eat3:

All the roads I listed are wonderfully scenic some of the upper NM roads are even single lane in some places and they have picture ops galore. If your wife likes trees and topography she will love it there. The Colorado loop is killer also. 550 south is one of the roads that you can see the tops of the trees even with the road surface. Not for the easily scared. In Ouray there is a nice waterfall to see and to the south going out of town there's a scenic over look and a little place by it called babys bathtub you can get a few nice pics there also. I believe we saw four or more waterfalls on our trip. I don't remember exactly were but soon into Colorado there is a waterfall near a switchback just after a scenic overlook. There is a place right across from it to pull off and get a quick snap shot. I will try to find a couple of pics of the train ride if you have thought about doing that. Drew

I can't pass up a good eating establishment either.:eat3:

In Ouray there is a nice waterfall to see and to the south going out of town there's a scenic over look and a little place by it called babys bathtub you can get a few nice pics there also. I believe we saw four or more waterfalls on our trip. I don't remember exactly were but soon into Colorado there is a waterfall near a switchback just after a scenic overlook. Drew

I've always been too pre-occupied to find it, but isn't there one on 149 near Creede between South Fork and Lake City?

Back