• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question about Purchase

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Heath
Howdy, all.

Well the upgrade bug has hit. Been trying to find parts online, and came across this http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13301 ,,

My question is, I have bought stuff online before, several things through E-Bay, but never just outright with no third party involved. I have talked to this person through E-mail. and he seems quick with responses, and has offered a slight discount if all components are bought at once. He is wanting payment with Postal Money Order. He has not made many posts in the group over there. (of course neither have I).. Any thoughts on making this purchase?
We are closing on our house this friday, I really should not be making the purchase, and would hate to get ripped off.

Long story short,, I am concerned about him taking money, but not shipping product.

BTW. Sorry Jamie and I have not made any Meet and Greets lately, Who knew buying a house would be this Chaotic :shrug:

I don't know what to say other than you haven't heard anything negative yet. Does he have an E-Bay account? He could post it as a buy it now auction and you could get buyer protection. You also would have access to any feedback he has received.

I've had very good luck dealing with people online. So far, everything has been on the up and up.

cannondale said:
BTW. Sorry Jamie and I have not made any Meet and Greets lately, Who knew buying a house would be this Chaotic :shrug:
Ya'll need a break - come on out - we will try to have something more in your area next week (11/22).

Hard to say about 3rd party - look at his posts & see if anyone else has dealt with him. If you can swing it, have someone who is local go look at the stuff - that may be just as hard to do, though. :shrug:

Tourmeister said:
Is there ever a time when buying a house is not chaotic? :scratch:
Probably not - but you don't KNOW it until you buy one for the first time... :-P

Trust is definitely an issue. I bought a windshield and an Aerostitch and didn't have a problem but you never know....

Pay w/ a postal money order if you can and the postal police can get involved if there is a problem. Do you have guy's name and address? PM me and I can check our databases to see if address/name match up.

Knock on wood, I haven't been burned yet on the stuff I've bought and I've bought a lot of stuff on the net. Most of it has been on Ebay though.

txmedic said:
I don't know what to say other than you haven't heard anything negative yet. Does he have an E-Bay account? He could post it as a buy it now auction and you could get buyer protection. You also would have access to any feedback he has received.

I've had very good luck dealing with people online. So far, everything has been on the up and up.

Thanks Tx, i just mailed him trying to get some more info regarding E-Bay and so- on. He has posted 22 times, and i read all of them. All seem to be ok, except one is little "off", but we all have our days......But, im really wanting the exhaust, :dude:

Tour, like Chuck said, this is our first. He gave us a heads up, but, guess it fell on deaf ears? Thanks for the warning anyway Chuck..... :-)

Gilk, I think we are going to be more than ready for a break come the 22nd

It's kinda ironic...I was in a similar situation earlier this year when an item I wanted desperately came up for sale by the owner. I didn't know this guy from Adam, and we were several thousand miles apart, but through an exchange of emails I determined he was someone I could trust and who trusted me. In the end we made the transaction without a hitch and I think we both walked away happy. For some reason I can't find the thread on here anymore, but the moral of the story is to use your best judgment and chances are everything will work out fine. And if it doesn't, strike it up as another life lesson...

Cheers! M2

Chuck

No, I could've sworn there was a thread where Sleepy was telling the woes of his trying to sell the Repsol that I eventually bought, but I can't find it for some reason! It was back around 15 May of this year, as that is when I got my first reply from him about purchasing the bike. For some reason it just doesn't seem to exist anymore...

The story on how he won it can be read in this thread.

Cheers! M2

Here is the link to the original TWTex thread, but as I said it is kaput/inop/tango uniform. Maybe someone can sort out why...

Cheers! M2

:tab It is kaput because the link above refers to the old forum software link. Since we upgraded to the VB software, you need to use the search function to find the original thread and use that link. The price of progress :-P

Scott

Thanks, but I did search and I still couldn't find it. Could it have possibly been lost during the transition?

Cheers! M2

:tab Not likely that it was lost in the transition. However, if it was in the For Sale section, posts in there get whacked after 60 days of no activity. So it is more likely that it simply got pruned after 60 days.

Scott

That's probably the situation...which is too bad as I would have liked to have a copy. It was such a long shot that I would actually get the bike...for one, I was several thousand miles away at the time (living in Belgium), Sleepy wanted to get rid of the bike pretty quickly (he needed space in his garage), his asking price almost guaranteed a quick sale and he had already gone through two eBay buyers and had it displayed at a local Yamaha dealership. I saw my first Repsol "in the flesh" at the Brussels Motor Show and even got my then-7-yr-old son to take a digital pic of me sitting on it. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would actually be riding my own home a few months later. I will forever been in Sleepy's debt for working with me on this bike, he is a prime example of the great folks that are on this forum! I was happy to hear he got a bike he wanted as well, a Kawasaki Super Sherpa. Definitely a win-win situation all around, one of the great things in life!

Cheers! M2

sharkey said:
Trust is definitely an issue. I bought a windshield and an Aerostitch and didn't have a problem but you never know....

Pay w/ a postal money order if you can and the postal police can get involved if there is a problem. Do you have guy's name and address? PM me and I can check our databases to see if address/name match up.

Knock on wood, I haven't been burned yet on the stuff I've bought and I've bought a lot of stuff on the net. Most of it has been on Ebay though.

Thanks a lot Sharkey. gess there is some security in a Postal Money Order? I was not sure to what extent. Guess i could do some legwork myself and Google it. :suicide:
I sent hime another message last night wanting more information concerning name addy, and so on. so we will wait snd see...... May take you up on the offer to check some things out....
Thanks again group........
Roy

M2,

Yeah, I remember it but I think it was in the "For Sale" section & I think those get purged after the item is sold.

Maybe TM or RC will chime in as to its fate - I'd like to see it again since there was much more of a story there than just a bike for sale.

Hey, Scott, is there a secret way to access the old phpBB forum? :-D

(oops - didn't check for intervening messages)...

Last edited:
To borrow a quote from a guy in my Jeep club forum, "I ain't readin' all dat!"

:lol:

Seriously, the first thought that came to mind when I checked out the link to the thread about the Katana parts was "Why can't I see how many posts this guy has?" While the number of posts a person makes on a forum is certainly no indicator of their character, it does at least help indicate whether they've invested time in becoming part fo the community, or if post #1 was to try and sell something.

The other day Hemibee pointed me to a KTM forum, and I noticed they had a rule that you couldn't post anything in the For Sale forum until you'd been there a while, made a certain number of posts, etc. People who take the time and trouble to interact with a community I think are less likely to screw you out of your money. After all, if they don't deliver, you're going to tell everyone else and scare away the other fish.

That said, at least it says he's been a member of the forum there since March. Hopefully that lends a little support. I notice the thread now has a "sold pending funds" post by the seller. If he was going to flake, I suspect he wouldn't post that. If you're not the buyer he's talking about, keep an eye out, maybe send him a message that you're interested if the 1st buyer backs out.

Tourmeister said:
Is there ever a time when buying a house is not chaotic? :scratch:

Nor does it seem there's ever a time when selling one is not chaotic. I'm selling one in Granite Shoals... Contracted nearly a month ago... first one thing (yes, each "thing" has cost ME money) then another, sometimes I get the feeling all these people in mortgage companies, lender institutions, title companies, insurance companies just do their xxxxxxxest to foul things up and figure out ways to pile on the frustration so they can extract every last drop of blood possible out of the poor turnip who's either buying or selling. It's especially trying when you are hundreds of miles away and have to do everything by telephone, fax, e-mail, or overnight delivery.

I hope mine closes tomorrow or Friday at the latest.... I'm tired of the hassles.

JR... no wonder I'm GRUMPY.

Back