• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why SHNF is closed(long read but good info)

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
This article by Brian Perret of TRH says it very well. Please read....

"As you all probably know, the multi-use trails in the Sam Houston National Forest have been closed and will remain closed until further notice. Our focus needs to shift to getting the trails at the SHNF back open. It can only happen if YOU act.

To give a little history on how we got to where we are, we’ll attempt to bring you current. The Sam Houston National Forest used to be an ocean many years ago, and the surface is made of silt, or what we call "sand," followed by a laundry list of sedimentation layers. So the biggest problem it faces, or rather we face, is erosion, which has gone into overdrive due to the large amount of rainfall we've received over the past few months. I've been riding out there since only about 2009, but I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this. The ground has fallen out below root systems, and even getting a four wheeler over these areas can be hazardous. No big deal, right? Just reroute the trail. Well, it's not that easy. The trails we ride basically create little creek bottoms, and so with heavy rainfall, causes those trails to erode more than the land surrounding them. It would make sense to just make a little “cut-around” and go on like nothing happened, right? Not so fast. A simple cut around will only cause erosion in another area 5 foot from the original problem. So we've really just put a band-aid on the actual problem by creating an erosion pitfall somewhere else within the footprint of land we use. How we fix this will be discussed, and we will get heavier into these technical details of how to repair trail later, but for now, I digress. The mentality we take in approach to this problem is more important.

So, why are we in the situation we're in? The forest service looks at equestrians and motorized as having the most impact to the forest, compared to hikers and cyclers, and rightfully so. Let's face it, we are. The Forest Rangers monitor and facilitate repairs to the trail system, but cannot themselves alone fix the problems we face. I say "we," because "we" are the people that use the trails and "we" are the people responsible for them, and there are multiple organizations that have facilitated work days to repair and improve the trail systems. Obviously, without "we," the Forest Service cannot maintain this trail system, and bottom line, they don't need to. They need the help of regular attendees (you and me), to put in the labor to combat the hazards that cause them to close the trail system. So let's just have a big workday like we normally do, and go out, fix the problems, and get the trails back open, right? Again, not so fast. This is a noble approach and The Forest Service appreciates the work we do, but they also look critically at WHAT and HOW we do when we have work days. Historically, we have a work day, and we go out and hack brush for a few hours, then we mount up and go have fun for the afternoon. Makes sense to get some seat time out of going and doing manual labor for a few hours, right? I completely agree. Unfortunately, those days are over. The powers that be in the forest have seen this all to often, while the trails are officially closed, and we're not supposed to be riding recreationally. But the sentiment is that if“...I go out and work in the forest, I should get a special pass to ride the same day.” Again, it makes sense, and a large portion of you may have no idea what I'm talking about, or say "I've never done that," but the truth is, others have, and it reflects on all of us as a community. For example, if you're riding a dirt bike, you are associated with the other guy on a dirt bike riding down the road unplated. This is just the way things are, but we combat that by being as tight-knit as possible and informative as possible to the others in this "community.” We ALL need to heed the warnings of the Ranger Service and the people heavily involved with the forest. Well, right now, their warnings are serious. Before these trails can open back up, plenty needs to be done, and it must be done correctly and in proper fashion. The sentiment of the “community” needs to change. The only way this can go our way, is if we play ball and do things the way the Forest Service wants them done, and I can tell you, playing this game will go a long way with them.

Believe it or not, The National Forest does care. It’s their job to care. Historically they afford us knowledge and the tools to be successful. This is not a battle of “them vs. us,” and you must know and understand this. They even noted this in the press release in the recent closure. I would suggest this closure hurt the District Ranger as much as the motorized community but for different reasons. They would say they failed in providing the correct path to motorized to manage the damage and repair despite the amount of rain. Additionally, further pain would be expressed in allowing other elements access. They’re not playing favorites, but like we stated before, other elements don't have safety issue thresholds as high as motorized. The Forest Service has tried for years but we are “hard-headed” and have not worked as united as the other elements. This is the key. The Forest Rangers are unaffected by the trails closing, meaning they will still have a job whether the multi-use trails remain open or closed. What makes them want to help us help ourselves is to simply see that we care about the trails we use as much as they do. So how do we show that? In this trying time for the trails, it’s imperative that no motorized vehicles be used to access the trails, even for work. Bikes, quads, UTVs; you must leave them at home. It's best to not even bring them to the forest. If you're going out to help, leave the toys at home. Unless express permission is received from the Forest Service or the Trails Coalition, leave motorized vehicles at home.

In the same breath, I'm going to urge you to come out and help when you can. TRH will have work days, but also the ODODB (Old Dudes On Dirt Bikes) will have work days with organized pushes to accomplish a certain task. The Trails Coalition is our liaison between us and the Forest Service so we have direction on what and how to accomplish what we need to. This is accomplished by having our motorized representative represent us with the Forest Service. Ed Ponikvar is our motorized representative but he is not going to dictate or direct volunteers. He is an effective translation of how to be in compliance and how to operate safely and without wasted effort. Often we may not like what is being said or what is necessary but Ed knows the requirement and if a process can be accelerated he will get that process reviewed and approved. Ed Ponikvar is also the (SHTC President) he was unanimously voted by the hiking, cycle and equine community to represent the Coalition at a state and national level. He has expressed many times how important it is that we simply show attendance and log the hours if nothing else. Soon, we'll be releasing a ton of information on what and how exactly needs to be done to get us all moving in the right direction. The most important thing at this time, is that you know their website address, which I will include at the bottom of this communique. This is where you can join for a small fee (if you like) and log your work hours. So far as I know, this is the most important thing. Attendance goes a long way in convincing the Forest Service that we care. But remember, the attendance must be helpful, and not counterproductive. Like I said before, leave the toys at home. At this point, even being seen in the forest with a bike or quad in the back of the truck is bad for our cause.

If you're new to working in the forest, you may be asking yourself, "what can I do?" Images are powerful. Review your forest compared to others. Although we don’t own it, act as if you did. If it needs mowed, mow it. If the gate if broken, fix it. Paint peeling, trash, whatever needs done let's do it.

It’s extremely important that we all get out of this “demise mentality,” come together, and do what needs to be done. The future of our trails depends solely on us. At this point, we determine what happens next. I implore you to get involved and start with communication. If you’re unsure of something, ask. We need the feedback, so we know where everybody stands. This is how we know what and how to disseminate information so everybody is informed. More information will be forthcoming. Please monitor your email and social media."

Add a reply

Powered by mvnForum
Spring, TX
Founded Sep 3, 2012

Old Dudes On Dirt Bikes 259
Group reviews 39
Upcoming Meetups 18
Past Meetups 708
Our calendar

Help support your Meetup
Organizers:
Ken S, Charlie Bledsoe, Larry F, MarK Tracy and 69 more…
We're about:
Off-Road Motorcycling · Dirt Biking · Motorcycle Riding · Dirtbikes · Dirt Bike Group · Dirt Bikes · Dirt Bike Trail Riders · Get Togethers in The Woodlands and Spring Area · trail riding
Our Sponsors

***To All Potential Sponsors***

ODODB "Sponsorship" is FREE!! Contact Ken S for Posting Qualifications!
Cycle Shack North 20% OFF Walk-In Biz!!

20% off regular priced items!! Tell em' ODODB! scott@cycleshacknorth.com
...Munn Racing... Parts and Accessories

20% Off! All Bikes, Brands and Parts Available email Chip@MunnRacing.com
Cycle Zone KTM PowerParts & Aftermarket!

20% off list price- KTM /non-KTM Chandler Pekarek cp@cyclezone.com

Start a Meetup Group
Log out

Help About Us Jobs Apps API Topics Browse Countries

Very well stated. I did not realize the trails were still closed after the rains. Sounds like some serious work needs to be accomplished to allow them to reopen.

This article by Brian Perret of TRH says it very well. Please read....
So the biggest problem it faces, or rather we face, is erosion, which has gone into overdrive due to the large amount of rainfall we've received over the past few months. The ground has fallen out below root systems, No big deal, right? Just reroute the trail. Well, it's not that easy. The trails we ride basically create little creek bottoms, and so with heavy rainfall, causes those trails to erode more than the land surrounding them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck with this very large issue.
Very interesting read. I built a small MX track on my property which is on about a 25 -30 elevation drop & am having a similar problem, of course on a smaller scale. The track has removed the grass and as I loosen up the dirt & add sand to it it just washes down the hill. I cut away roots & it just washes down to the next layer of roots. It is a constant battle. Which the work, effort & cost of new sand I can live with & even the normal land abuse the bikes cause. But the erosion of my beautiful property is causing me to question how to fix this before it gets completely out of hand. It sure is convenient having a track in the back yard, but I may have to give it up sooner than I would like because of this.

With the SHNF closed are there any other places a person can ride a dirt bike in the Houston area other than MX tracks? Been thinking about bringing my 450 EXC out of storage, but if there's no place to ride....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With the SHNF closed are there any other places a person can ride a dirt bike in the Houston area other than MX tracks? Been thinking about bringing my 450 EXC out of storage, but if there's no place to ride....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing "free", but options exist.
I don't go but understand there's trails at Rio Bravo.
Sterling Ranch in Willis is small but has day use.
Outlaw Tax adjacent to forest has memberships available.
Club in Austin AMSA has ride days occasionally.

Such a shame as I have a lot of good memories from riding at SHNF. All 80 miles of trails. But I understand. And what a kick in the jimmy to the ODODB crew as they've done an amazing job and even got the big loop back open.

The erosion can likely be tracked back to the severe droughts 6-7 years back. Since then, about 10,000 trees have been removed each year and lots of strategic controlled burning to prevent the whole place from lighting up. I used to look up and barely see any sky. The bike and I never used to overheat. Now, there's no where to hide from the blistering sun. So it makes sense that the rain is pummeling the ground and washing it away. We need the system of roots from trees and plants to hold the soil in place. I'd been fearing this day would come. Maybe in 10 more years it will be called the Sam Houston National Desert and the Cockaded woodpeckers will have to be relocated.

You probably make a good point, lot of trees are gone, but trust me, there is a lot of trees left! lol. Not a desert yet.

For those that care it is still closed, ODODB still working to get it open. Help is always appreciated by them.

Thanks for the update. I noticed the erosion getting worse back in the 80's when there were so many 3 wheeler riding the trails. There were a lot of areas where the trail went between trees, too close together for the 3 wheelers. They went around, widened the trail which led to more erosion. I am not placing the blame on those vehicles, 35 more years of all sorts of traffic have played a huge part.
Last May(?) when we had so much rain, the Stubblefield Lake bridge was completley submerged and the road from FM 1375 was washed out. I have lived around here since the 60's and that had never happened before.
I will do my best to pitch in and help, this is my backyard playground. RH

Well Sterling Ranch is open, lol. A friends tracks of the trails, all that in about 150 acres!

Attachments

• 600_452477157.jpeg.jpg
    600_452477157.jpeg.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 224
I may call and see what they would charge for opening during the week. Maybe a handful of guys with flexible schedules could rent it for a Thursday and enjoy it without the traffic.

Any interest?

Sure, and he's pretty much open or will dummy lock the gate for us. Brad is super nice!

Usually any day works for me, but think we're going to Cycleland Thursday this week. Long trip for you but you're welcome to join us.

No, but have thought about trying to get on the list. I've known a few members. She got out and moved to Nevada and then not sure if the other is current or not. I've done a few enduros at cycleland. The first was a rainy day. You guys cut the race short, but with a delay started it. I had a blast riding the property. The Second one we helped a guy that broke his jaw and knee after hitting a root and whisky throttling into a tree. Not five miles into the race. Maybe a half mile into the check. Our row was given a work average for helping out with the guy. We were 45 minutes late, but still rode the whole course and had a fun day.

I was an LTR member for a little over a decade and miss having a property to ride at. Always enjoyed being in a club. Part of our deal with LTR was working trail and helping with the race. Actually enjoyed that part a lot. With LTR not sure I'd make it more than one maybe to times a year. Hard to justify the cost of Membership for so little riding, but the property is a super place to ride and miss hanging out with the folks for sure. I still like to go back for enduro weekend though. We moved to Texarkana about a year ago and were pretty close Cycleland and now in Forney (about the same distance 2.5 hrs.). My wife rides as well so having a place to go ride and camp is a cool thing.

Very very good group of folks at Cycleland. I just re-joined last year and still have not ridden once. Have made the workdays only but that is ok, the people make it worthwhile. Life gets in the way but I will keep my membership. If you need a contact number for membership just holler.

Hey guys, thought I would share this with you - some positive news recently sent out to TRH members from Lynn Bailey.....

"Now, for some new and exciting news for the Off-Road community in Southeast Texas concerning our trails in the Sam Houston National Forest. Due to the extraordinary team efforts of the Sam Houston Trails Coalition, Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes, and several devoted TRH members, there is a very real possibility to have the Sam Houston National Forest trails open soon on the East side outer loop (approx 25 miles). The Trails Coalition President and TRH member, Ed Ponikvar, is leading the charge and making things happen. The Forest Service heavy equipment is currently on the trail repairing the erosion areas that caused the shutdown. The key to our future is trail sustainability by keeping the sand and dirt on the trail in the face of mother nature through engineering solutions called drain dips. Drain dips are placed to divert water off of the trail. This will be our challenge as trail volunteers, as the responsibility to maintain the trails will be passed down from the Forest Service to our user groups. I do not think personal responsibility is an issue with our group, so putting in the work will not be an issue if it is the price of having trails to ride. The best news for us is that Ed is relentless in his organizing and motivational efforts to lead this charge to get our trails open again. Understanding that he is doing all of this on a volunteer basis, he has learned how to navigate the challenges associated with re-opening public land by creating relationships and cooperation with the Forest Service, local politicians, and most importantly the other trail user groups. I have personally watched his dedication and helped him with my own energy and experience to bring this entire effort back from devastating bad news, and now we are on the edge of getting the trails re-opened. There are a couple of things that you can do to help push this momentum over the edge. Maintain your TRH membership, Join the Trails Coalition ($10 a year) and come out starting this Sunday to help the volunteers finish up the parts of the outer loop that we can affect by cutting face slappers and putting the final touches on a few bridge repairs. Yes, you can bring your bike or Four Wheeler. Meet up at the Eastside Trailhead behind the Gulf Coast Trade Center around 8am. But, please understand that open riding is still not allowed, but with your help, we are getting closer. The very existence of the Sam Houston National Forest Multi-Use Trail system is critical to ensure the health of the Off-Road community continues to thrive here. If the forest trail system goes away because it was too much effort or we relied on someone else to do it, we stand to lose multiple decades and generations of TRH sweat equity and history. Not to mention, capturing this moment and showing your support will ensure that generations after us will have a place to go ride and play. That is what we do and why we are here. Please get involved and help us keep this wonderful place open."

A good read, and reminds us that we all need to become SHTC members. The group membership no longer feasible. Please consider becoming a member. http://www.samhoustontrails.org/get-involved-2/membership/membership-form

Back