• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

94 DR350 rebuild

Reaction score
28260716152_3e77dfe6ae_b.jpg

28416339112_c70fcb6a59_b.jpg

28539172145_c304c4ec72_b.jpg

27906357043_1daa4c8956_b.jpg

time for a fresh top end

What was the before compression? I notice 6 valve springs, 4 intake? This is 20 years old, wonder if the parts are easy to get?

Dang near looks like you might have been able to do the top end without removing the engine?

What was the before compression? I notice 6 valve springs, 4 intake? This is 20 years old, wonder if the parts are easy to get?

Dang near looks like you might have been able to do the top end without removing the engine?

27680990160_36d7c0d5d8_b.jpg

i wanted to know the before compression, but didnt know how to accurately measure with the auto CR.
the 6 springs are from the clutch, its a 4-valve head.
yes, there are still mucho parts. the parts came in with no backorders.

top end looked to be in fine condition for a spare.
the valve job was done around the 4th on a complete head with camshaft I'd bought before.
the cylinder from a 96 dirt parts bike was deglazed by the same machine shop.
new rings gapped and installed in the piston from the same 96 dirt engine.

27906355193_8c5e6f9b0e_b.jpg

Since the clutch is disassembled, are you going with new plates? Was it sitting very long?

I am pretty close by in Mesquite, holler if you need help or a tool I might have.

Since the clutch is disassembled, are you going with new plates? Was it sitting very long?

I am pretty close by in Mesquite, holler if you need help or a tool I might have.

the clutch has much meat remaining, so its good. not sitting at all, rode it up until tear-down.
thank you for the kind offer, i'll let you know

pulled the 20t primary drive & oil pump driven gear set, replaced with an early year single 22t primary gear and a new cam chain.
i'm replacing the 64t with a 62t clutch basket to raise the gearing for street use.

28416338812_8322659758_b.jpg

top going back together
28416338732_7d4ae77a56_b.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Try this. It's basically what I've always done to cars, trucks, bikes. For example, my 4Runner now has 240K on it. Never even opened the engine. No smoke, no leaks, never have to top the oil, same mileage as new, same compression (yes, I've checked). Plus, I drive it like I stole it.

As always, YMMV, but this works for me.

yep, i've read that & believe in it.
rode it hard for the first 20, changed the oil & keep riding hard for another 15 fillups.
thanks

That break in procedure is the new oil wars. Lots of people on both sides. Aviation on the ride it hard side.

Last two engines I have broken in hard. It will take a decade or two to find out the results. Both were ct90s and they HAVE to be ridden hard most of the time just to get going.

28715694850_f649261d31_b.jpg

threads pulled out of this hole. repair with heli-coil coming this weekend

Last edited:
Well this has been fun watching!

On a related note, the brake caliper came in. Had to order the compression washers for the brake line which should be in this week.

motor is performing great. still running it hard, now at 600 miles on break-in. no detectable oil consumption!

Back