• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hidden ignition switch?

je2000

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Someone jacked up my ignition with a screwdriver. Key goes in, but won't turn. The OEM ignition switch may be discontinued. K&L sells a "universal" switch.

Apparently there are some permanent type bolts involved that I need to drill out or something of that nature. Sounds like a pain.

I'm wondering about a hidden switch or something, bypassing the stock switch altogether.

Just not sure what my options are at this point.

I don't know what kind of bike you are wondering about... I did this to one of my bikes (KTM 450) and it was pretty easy. Used a 2 pole 12 volt waterproof switch mounted in a concealed area. I would think it would not be complicated. Be glad to help if you want to make the trip to east Fort Worth area.

For all the trouble I would just install another key switch, I think.

The "permanent type bolts" are probably just security bits of some type...like these.

I'm guessing a KLR switch might work if the KLX has been discontinued.

The "permanent type bolts" are probably just security bits of some type...like these.

I'm guessing a KLR switch might work if the KLX has been discontinued.

I've got the whole key cylinder out, but it's still connected by 2 wires which I think are the on/off for the whole bike, and another plastic connector with 4 wires. There are 2 weird screws/bolts? that are holding the assembly together. How do I crack this thing?

Anyone with a KLR, does this ignition setup sound familiar?

The two wires are brown and white, the brown is connected to the other 4 which are br, y/r, bk/w, bk/y. These connect to the kill switch and starter button.

Back