• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The "Non-Invasive" Dirt Roads Around Austin Thread

Just picked up a Vstrom so hope to be joining you guys on some of these rides as soon as I get plates! :)

Hey Dave, that stuff was all on the map originally, but Rod pulled it off a few years back. I don't recall the reason. here is a link to the DFW area map, which has some roads NE of Waco.

How's your neck? We need to ride sometime soon.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.711...4b1!4m2!6m1!1sz0o71slnR7fc.kBo-yhe8vqGY?hl=en

If you want to be an editor on the DFW map, let me know.

I think there should be some sort of private club or something like that so that the road information we gather won't be taken by others and published for their monetary gain. Only folks in that club would have access to the roads or GPX files and the info would be kept off of public domains. I think it would eliminate a lot of problems.

I think there should be some sort of private club or something like that so that the road information we gather won't be taken by others and published for their monetary gain. Only folks in that club would have access to the roads or GPX files and the info would be kept off of public domains. I think it would eliminate a lot of problems.
The reason people pay for knowing where the roads are is because of protectionist ideas like this one, and that it takes time to compile which is not always as available as a few bucks.

Value is proportional to amount of effort required to obtain.

Make these awesome roads easy for everybody to find and the ability of a map maker to profit from your work goes down.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Im the one who removed all the paved county roads from the Austin area map. There are several reasons for this.
The first being..... with all those roads listed...the map took forever to load..... makin it frustrating ta say the least.
Also..... the paved roads to the north jus went on & on & on.... all the way up by Ft Worth.
Dahveeds DFW map was a better place to list those northerly paved goatpaths.
Im also guilty of wanting ta keep all those paved roads to myself....
For personal reasons

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was a little sad to see a bunch of the data and pics I had uploaded removed but then again, I haven't looked at it in a year or so, so not like I'm using it everyday. :lol2:

Went back through the thread and looked at some of the pics. What a little rain will do.

14375916_A2xsk-L.jpg

March 2016

48100b61-5871-4b63-95b2-c02c4197cf2c_zpshx9thwyd.jpg

Well....I.... for one.... like all the paved stuff.
I was originally invited by the map's creators ...to add my paved goatpaths.....

Little did they kno...jus how many there were

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

tj... the only stuff I removed was all the paved CRs I had added... was careful not to delete other folks posts

No worries, there may be a 100 reasons why pics I uploaded years ago are gone. Not concerned about it at all. Like I said, I haven't looked at the map in probably 2 years. :lol2:

Country Road 308B is a short but fun 10.2 mile round trip dirt road from Click, TX. The road is a dead end road that becomes someone's driveway at 5.1 miles. I did not see any sign indicating it was a private road. The only sign I did see was one indicating there was no outlet.

I will post pictures the next time I am out that way

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 351
Is there a link to the database as of current?

If I am not mistaken, the map link in the first post is the current map. My post was the first one in 18 months so I am not sure if the map is still being updated.

I doubt that the map has had any updates for the last few years. I usta be a contributor to it... But my additions were of the paved variety... & all removed to make the map easier & quicker to load. They didnt really fit the main focus of this map anyway

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Country Road 308B is a short but fun 10.2 mile round trip dirt road from Click, TX. The road is a dead end road that becomes someone's driveway at 5.1 miles. I did not see any sign indicating it was a private road. The only sign I did see was one indicating there was no outlet.

I will post pictures the next time I am out that way

I went there with a large group of ADV guys a few years and we were cornered by an angry lady on an ATV. She claims they own most of the land including the last mile of the road near Click.

RB

I went there with a large group of ADV guys a few years and we were cornered by an angry lady on an ATV. She claims they own most of the land including the last mile of the road near Click.

RB

and the proper response should have been, "show me your deed", and if she has the deed, "Where is your private property start here sign" ! ! ! I've had those same conversations with folks before and if they became belligerent, then you tell them you can call the locale Sheriff Department to settle the dispute ! ! ! If someone politely tells me I have accidentally come up on their property, then I'll apologies and move on.

and the proper response should have been, "show me your deed", and if she has the deed, "Where is your private property start here sign" ! ! ! I've had those same conversations with folks before and if they became belligerent, then you tell them you can call the locale Sheriff Department to settle the dispute ! ! ! If someone politely tells me I have accidentally come up on their property, then I'll apologies and move on.

You have a valid point, but the road only continued for only a mile, so why create bad will?

This reminded me of a situation about eight years ago while riding on a valid CR (at least the updated Garmin map said so). The county road went by a large barn and just after I passed it, the ranch owner jumped in front of my bike and brandished a pistol. I stopped and he said the county road no longer goes through his property. There was a locked gate farther down the road according to him.

RB

You have a valid point, but the road only continued for only a mile, so why create bad will?

This reminded me of a situation about eight years ago while riding on a valid CR (at least the updated Garmin map said so). The county road went by a large barn and just after I passed it, the ranch owner jumped in front of my bike and brandished a pistol. I stopped and he said the county road no longer goes through his property. There was a locked gate farther down the road according to him.

RB

A couple of roads here in Milam cty have reverted back to private....but Milam County put up warning signs...
:zen:

RB

And a quick call to the local Sheriff Office would have fixed that problem. Especially if he threatened you with it. Some folks think they have more rights than they actually do.

Last edited:
A couple of roads here in Milam cty have reverted back to private....but Milam County put up warning signs...
:zen:

Yes, that is the proper way to do the status change on a specific road. I wonder how long a mapping service picks up the legal changes? I have been on roads that have been private for a long time, yet the latest Garmin update shows that road as a public entity.

RB

And a quick call to the local Sheriff Office would have fixed that problem. Especially if he threatened you with it. Some folks think they have more rights than they actually do.

You're right about the legal aspect. Law enforcement in the area may not even be aware where the boundaries lie. If no one has challenged the placement of the gate, it's probably just assumed that it's in the right place. You might get picked up for trespassing, but you could challenge it in court.

Perhaps a formal complaint to the proper authorities is in order to get the gate moved back to ranch property?

I remember in Junction years ago there was a planned dual-sport ride with many riders from Texas. There was a portion of dirt bike riders who had loud exhausts as they bombed down the county roads in the area. A local called the sheriff and the ride leader got an earful of complaints. I road the area some time later and I encountered locked gates where my Garmin map clearly showed a county road.

RB

Last edited:

I passed at least 2 vehicles on that road and no one made a fuss. There is no sign at the start of the road indicating it was private.

I am with you on this. A simple sign saying "No Trespassing" or "Private Road" keeps me away. I haven't been confronted by a belligerent person yet but I am assuming it will happen.

You're right about the legal aspect. Law enforcement in the area may not even be aware where the boundaries lie. If no one has challenged the placement of the gate, it's probably just assumed that it's in the right place. You might get picked up for trespassing, but you could challenge it in court.

Perhaps a formal complaint to the proper authorities is in order to get the gate moved back to ranch property?
RB

Yes sir, and the man wielding the handgun was committing a felony which could possibly get him jail time or worse, shot and killed as someone could feel they were in fear of their life. It would be a shame for a person to lose their life over stupidity ! ! !

Back