• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aspiring rider in Austin

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Aspiring rider in Austin: Question

Looking to get into riding... I'm shopping around for a dual sport to ride at the family farm and eventually to and from work... Seems like motorcycle prices around here are significantly higher than NADA values. Do bikes typically sell for more in our area?
The stories and pics on this site are motivating... hopefully I'll have my first bike soon and I'll be sure to post some pics

Update:
Going to check out an '06 klr650 with 27000 miles on it. What should I expect to need to replace/repair soon on a bike with this many miles? Thanks

Last edited:
Good luck in your search. We ride year round here, so bikes have good value. Of course, a lot more bikes to choose from. A good way to buy used is to pick one up from someone in process of upgrading. Not sure how much of that there will be given economic woes.

There are plenty of offroad and dual sport riders here, and there is a dirt section of the site as well.

Post up some models you are interested in and you'll certainly get some input from this crowd. Welcome to the site, and keep us posted on your search.

Good luck in your search. We ride year round here, so bikes have good value. Of course, a lot more bikes to choose from. A good way to buy used is to pick one up from someone in process of upgrading. Not sure how much of that there will be given economic woes.

There are plenty of offroad and dual sport riders here, and there is a dirt section of the site as well.

Post up some models you are interested in and you'll certainly get some input from this crowd. Welcome to the site, and keep us posted on your search.

Well I was thinking about a street legal 250, KLR250 maybe, but was concerned about commuting on such a small bike. My commute is under 10 miles, but the main route is us-183. That has led me to think the drz-400 s or sm might be a good fit, but those seem to be getting snatched up quickly. KLR650s are everywhere... would a KLR,DR,etc 650 be too big for a first bike?

Bypass the dealers or stand firm on NADA minus 5-10%, they are over priced. Remember what they quote is what they would LIKE to get. You'll save money buying from an individual.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab If you are thinking of a DS bike, I have to ask what your inseam is? Many of them have pretty high seats. Most can be lowered though with little cost. If you are going to be doing highway commuting, even just for ten miles, I would suggest something like a 650. The KLR or DR would be tops on that list if you really want something you can also ride on dirt easily. A V-Strom 650 is also great, but is much more street oriented even though it is considered a dual sport. I have the Strom 650 and KLR 650. For such a short commute, the KLR is great. I have about the same commute, just on back roads instead of highways. But the KLR 650 will run 80-85mph without any problems, it is just buzzier and windier than the Strom. For any long rides on pavement though, I prefer the Strom. For gravel, dirt, and sand roads, the KLR is far better in my view. They both get about the same mpg for me, 40-45mpg. Many KLR's will get better, somewhere in the mid 50's and higher, but mine is jetted a bit rich and I have a bad habit of whacking the throttle open pretty hard because it is just so much fun :trust:

:tab One other thing to consider. So long as the seat height is not an issue for you, the KLR might make a better first bike. If you do drop it, fixing it (if that is even needed) will be a LOT cheaper than fixing the Strom, which has a greater chance of needing fixing in the event of a drop. There are VERY few riders that did not drop their first bike, typically in a parking lot or drive way. Also, if you do ride the bike on gravel, dirt, and sand, you can pretty much count on dropping the bike occasionally. If not, then you just aren't trying hard enough :flip: :-P

Yep, craigslist or www.texasoffroad.net in the classified section. Or the For Sale forum here. Getting a friend that knows something about bikes to come along to look at a used one is also a good idea.

Since you are looking at dual sports, do you have an M endorsement on your license? Some folks selling used bikes want to see that before a test ride. Others just want to see cash :-) If you aren't, taking the MSF class can get you a feel for riding before you go shopping too.

Whoa, that scary. Three admin responses all together.

And welcome to the site also.

Thanks for the great info... this is getting me pumped up! I'm 6' with long legs so a tall bike should be ok. Time to shop...

Why not come out to Houston and sit on all the bikes at the bike show this weekend? It'd be an easy way to test out your comfort level on a bunch of bikes without the sales pressure to go with it! :rider:

Update:
Going to check out an '06 klr650 with 27000 miles on it. What should I expect to need to replace/repair soon on a bike with this many miles? Thanks

Last edited:
Update:
Going to check out an '06 klr650 with 75000 miles on it. What should I expect to need to replace/repair soon on a bike with this many miles? Thanks

I'd plan on performing a valve clearance check and a camchain inspection right off the bat. KLRs are known for their toughness, but you never really know whether or not the previous owner did everything he/she was supposed to do regarding periodic maintenance.

Make sure all the hydraulic fluids are clear and not crystalized to dark brown or black. If so, you'll need to immediately re-bleed.

Look for rust and worn out parts on the final drive and -- being a dual sport -- make sure the wheels and spokes are true, and that the forks are not bent. DS bikes tend to see a lot of mud and water, too, so inspect the electrics thoroughly to insure that everything works.

Welcome to TWT, by the way. Best wishes in your search for a bike. :thumb:

an '06 with 75 THOUSAND?

That was my thought, too. Dang, that sure is a lot of miles for essentially a brand new motorcycle. Almost 40-thousand miles per year is largely unheard of. I'd make sure I was getting the thing for a song -- such as, to the tune of about 65 percent (or less) of the KBB value.

whoops, hold yer horses.... correction: 27,000 miles... I posted just after waking up:yawn:

Back