• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet PTT Radio communications when riding.

Reaction score
My riding buddies and I have been using the inexpensive 2 way gmrs radios with PTT for years.. they work ok for line of site and group riding but overall I don't think any of us were satisfied with our set ups

a few issues were the PTT set ups we bought were either cheap ebay helmet systems from midland or the expensive PTT systems from companies like racing radios. We all had issues with button failure on the high end units and wire issues on the cheapo. Also with different radios from Midland or Motarola. it seemed transmissions were always intermittent depending on radio strength.

I spent the last year upgrading and checking out the two way radios and think I finally have a fairly bullet proof set up with good range to use on our Adventure rides..

so I thought I'd share.

radio:
there has been a lot of discussion on the baofeng uv-5 units. (Yes they are not completely GRMS compliant but I don't want this thread to become a what's legal and not so don't start). I picked up a few on ebay and programmed to the GMRS stations. I also added the long life battery and a longer 8" antenna. the results were amazing compared to the wally world bought grms radios.. we are easily getting twice the distance and all/multi day battery power from the units. only complaint is programming and the software as it took a few hours to load and program correctly
black_font_and_back.png

PTT systems:

I came across Z-TAC communication system a few months ago but really couldn't find any reviews that were worth a crap so I decided to bite the bullet and order a set up.

Note: the headset and PTT system are perpritory systems and need to be used together (ie. you earbugs will not work)

Helmet: I order two systems and found the Z-043 unit to work the best. it's small and slides up behind the ear padding and mic boom is easy to position where it's out of the way but still can be used. I just tossed all the mount straps etc from the unit. the speaker is excellent and can hear while buzzing down the road with wind/engine noise.
ZTAC-Z043-BK-1.jpg

for the push to talk button I used the Matrix / Element U94 PTT Military Standard Version with Headset Adapter (Kenwood 2 Pin works with boafeng radios) this one is a chest mount PTT that I clip to my Ogio flight fest that I wear when riding.

ACC_MTX_EX113_MOTO_2_lg.jpg

It's easy to connect and disconnect and is ultra heavy duty to where you will not pull any of the wires out when removing your helmet etcs.

Next PTT upgrade that I want to try is the Z-Tactical Z123 Wireless Radio PTT system that has a wireless PTT transmitter that I could attach to my handlebar...

acc-z123.jpg

so for under $150. you can have a really good PTT helmet system that works as best as any unit I've tried.

here's a link to the Z-tac systems units that have good pricing
http://www.evike.com/index.php?cPath=30_135&sort=3a&filter_id=83&page=1

I shouldn't be a kill joy, but you do know that your require an amateur radio license to operate on the frequencies that these radios use!! Your unlikely to get a ticket, but be aware you could get in trouble..

Gary

Seems like a Sena system linked would be a lot less trouble. Only no PTT is all. I guess you just couldn't talk bad about whoever you were riding with for the duration, lol...

I have an SMH10 on my helmet and use an SR10 (with wired PTT) to interface my Midland CB radio and Zumo 550 with my Bluetooth headset. Works just fine. I have heard that there is an ground loop interference issue if you power both the SR10 and the CB from the same source (bike), but since I power the CB from the bike and the SR10 from an external battery I haven't come across it.

I shouldn't be a kill joy, but you do know that your require an amateur radio license to operate on the frequencies that these radios use!! Your unlikely to get a ticket, but be aware you could get in trouble..

Gary

I have a FCC license for grms transmission and so do most of the guys I ride with.
I have blue tooth communicator for my phone and have found them a little flakey on sinking with others and battery life on long multiple day rides. Though I know they are getting better every year.. I also look at price and radio range. I get a couple miles of coverage now so that gives everyone a better opportunity to ride at their own pace and still remain in communication with each other.

Back