• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pocket Multimeters

Reaction score
At the back of the pack and out of the dust
At last nights meeting, my6, Anthony and I started discussing pocket or "credit card" multimeters. With the electronics on motorcycles becoming more and more complex, having a way to check voltages, continuity, etc., a multimeter is a necessary troubleshooting device. I'm carrying a model similar to this one from Amazon.

Anyone have any experience with these, preferred brands or other pointers to share?

Couldn't get the link to work.

Me either.

I have a little yellow multi-meter that is in a plastic case that looks like a tiny book. The leads fit inside it. It is a little bigger than a credit card, maybe 4" tall x 2-1/2" wide and about 1/2" thick at most. The case is fairly rugged and does a good job of protecting it when it is packed in my gear getting bounced around on the dirt rides. I can't remember what brand it is. I think I got it at Home Depot maybe. I'll try to remember to check it tonight. I use it all the time. Sometimes I wish the leads were longer so it was easier to set the meter in one spot and measure something more than about 12-18" away. Other than that, it works great.

Last edited:
Couldn't get the link to work.
Cut out the first http:/

I carry the HF one. Not super small 5" × 2-1/2" × 7/8", but very light and the price is right...free.

20170223_172700_zps7aykmam4.jpg

_

I'm the same as silverbullet, I carry the harbor freight multimeter, it is small, cheap and works well for basic electrical checks. Mine has been bounced for thousands of miles of off-road and still works perfectly, the battery is starting to leak so I need to change that before it does any damage. great for checking fuses, electrical connections or if your battery is getting charged!!

I don't think I have ever replaced the battery in mine :ponder: It has to be four or five years old at least. I do have another that is even smaller. It has a book style soft cover for it that just protects the face when not in use. It is maybe 3" tall X 2" wide and about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. I switched to the yellow one because it had slightly longer leads and a more rugged case.

I'm the same as silverbullet, I carry the harbor freight multimeter, it is small, cheap and works well for basic electrical checks. Mine has been bounced for thousands of miles of off-road and still works perfectly, the battery is starting to leak so I need to change that before it does any damage. great for checking fuses, electrical connections or if your battery is getting charged!!
Me, too. I actually bought a better one, and still end up using this one a lot because I don't care if I drop it.

Back