• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member: DFW Area

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Hi all. New to this forum but not really new to forums or riding in general.

Have a few bikes in the stable so interested in pretty much any type of riding from tight single track to multi-thousand mile treks across the country.

Yamaha WR450F (Can set up SuMo or Enduro)
KTM Super Duke GT
Honda Goldwing
Honda Grom
Suzuki GSXR750 (track only)

I've been averaging 15-20K miles a year with most of those on the Goldwing so far but I really want to start doing some Adventure rides with the WR.

Hope to meet a few of you at ride ins.

Welcome from Harvey-stricken Houston!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Welcome from just south of the plex in Cedar Hill. :welcome:

What year goldwing are you riding?

It's a 2013.

Just a touch over 50K miles on it now so just getting broken in. They go forever.

Last edited:
West. By Lake Arlington. Pleasant Ridge and
Perkins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You're a block or so north of my church. I live just south of I-20, right at Green Oaks and Overridge. There are a few other Arlington dwellers who will probably report in.

You're a block or so north of my church. I live just south of I-20, right at Green Oaks and Overridge. There are a few other Arlington dwellers who will probably report in.
Nice. I'm sure we'll meet sometime at a ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Welcome, 2WheelNut!

I see a KTM 690 in your signature line. How do you like that bike?

I really was looking at them before I stumbled on to a deal on my WR450.

My WR450 will be great off road, but I prefer a bike I can ride from my house and still be able to go off road. The WR is street legal, but I can't imagine riding 200-300 miles of pavement to get to a dirt ride on it so I'm not sure if it's a great fit for me long term or not.

I've got 2 or 3 great street bikes and now I have a great dirt bike but I still don't have bike that is pretty good for both.

I see a KTM 690 in your signature line. How do you like that bike?

I really was looking at them before I stumbled on to a deal on my WR450.

My WR450 will be great off road, but I prefer a bike I can ride from my house and still be able to go off road. The WR is street legal, but I can't imagine riding 200-300 miles of pavement to get to a dirt ride on it so I'm not sure if it's a great fit for me long term or not.

I've got 2 or 3 great street bikes and now I have a great dirt bike but I still don't have bike that is pretty good for both.

Short answer: I love it.

Long answer: Your dilemma is precisely why I ended up with a 690.

I developed a need for a long distance dual sport bike. We (JT and I) tried to turn my Yamaha 250 into a LD dually but realized that was taking it too far out of it's niche. It's great fun for trails and I didn't want to give that up.

Next, i bought a Honda xr650L. Rode it to Mexico. It took good care of me on the dirt roads down there, steep, narrow, loose rock and gravel switchbacks--we were good...but i grew to hate it on pavement; it just wasn't fun to constantly flog the thing to make it GO!

Before the Honda, before the 250, I took the MSF dirt bike class. I was paired with a 690 for the class. I was intimidated by the bike: it's cost, it's physical size and it's power all scared the bejeezus out of me. But low and behold, it was easy to manage. it made me look good! the hydraulic clutch, the linear power delivery, how well-balanced the darn thing is... i loved it but after class was over i made myself forget it because no way could i afford one.

after returning from Mexico with Dirty Harry (the Honda), I realized I was making payments on a bike i did not like. And just like that, an ad appeared on ADV, a very well farkled out 690 for a reasonable price. I decided to make payments on a bike i knew i could love and will never outgrow (the bike has capabilities i will never touch.)

Jump in! The orange koolaid is fine!

Short answer: I love it.

Long answer: Your dilemma is precisely why I ended up with a 690.

I developed a need for a long distance dual sport bike. We (JT and I) tried to turn my Yamaha 250 into a LD dually but realized that was taking it too far out of it's niche. It's great fun for trails and I didn't want to give that up.

Next, i bought a Honda xr650L. Rode it to Mexico. It took good care of me on the dirt roads down there, steep, narrow, loose rock and gravel switchbacks--we were good...but i grew to hate it on pavement; it just wasn't fun to constantly flog the thing to make it GO!

Before the Honda, before the 250, I took the MSF dirt bike class. I was paired with a 690 for the class. I was intimidated by the bike: it's cost, it's physical size and it's power all scared the bejeezus out of me. But low and behold, it was easy to manage. it made me look good! the hydraulic clutch, the linear power delivery, how well-balanced the darn thing is... i loved it but after class was over i made myself forget it because no way could i afford one.

after returning from Mexico with Dirty Harry (the Honda), I realized I was making payments on a bike i did not like. And just like that, an ad appeared on ADV, a very well farkled out 690 for a reasonable price. I decided to make payments on a bike i knew i could love and will never outgrow (the bike has capabilities i will never touch.)

Jump in! The orange koolaid is fine!

Thanks for the feedback. It's kind of what I expected to hear.

Yep...I definitely like KTM's. I've had a KTM 450 XC-W in the past and currently I have a Super Duke 1290. Orange koolaid is pretty good. :)

Here's another thread to subscribe to:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115157

We have a dinner meeting the 1st Tuesday of each month, usually in Grapevine. One of the members also leads an ADV ride every month. Usually they are 100-125 miles and are really good rides. He has been getting 10-15 riders on each of his rides. So far everyone has really enjoyed them. You can check out the feedback in the "after the ride" thread...usually with a North Texas title...for the past several months.

We also have an email list of over 50 riders in the DFW area. If you would like to be on the list...just PM your name, home town, cell, email & type bikes. I will add you...and email the list to you.

Welcome to DFW!

Well heck...after sending the previous post...I went over to Chris' upcoming ride thread and see that you have already found it! Hope you can make it to dinner this coming Tuesday...if not...maybe will see you on the 10th.

Don't know if I will makr dinner but planning on making the ride nex Sunday.

Back