• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rated BBQ Houses

Millers Smokehouse in Belton was tasty. Had the sliced BBQ sandwich that was beyond tender. Puts Rudys to shame. Rudys is close to where I work but not consistant. The ribs looked good also at Millers and the next trip that is what I am gonna try.

Last time we went, we arrived by 11:00. They had sausage and chicken but no brisket. By the time we left, they only had chicken.

Thanks Kurt, based on that and multiple other recent experiences I'm going to revise my plans a little.

pacman

Had a order of pork ribs again at Smokey Mo's in Liberty Hill area again Sunday and they were tasty as usual.

The only issue I have with Louie Mueller in Taylor is why with all the history and tasty meat is their sauce like colored water, it is so bad it will ruin your meat, other than the sauce it's very good, also a place few know about is one block south on 1st is Vencils cafe, He is 93 or 94 years old, D day Vet, the place has not changed much in 60+ years complete with drunks and smoking permitted but beware more so the small portion you get on the plates, it's always an honor to see Vencil Mare and look at his old war pics and patches, I don't know if he's even aware of the prices vs portions that is being served.

The only issue I have with Louie Mueller in Taylor is why with all the history and tasty meat is their sauce like colored water, it is so bad it will ruin your meat, other than the sauce it's very good, also a place few know about is one block south on 1st is Vencils cafe, He is 93 or 94 years old, D day Vet, the place has not changed much in 60+ years complete with drunks and smoking permitted but beware more so the small portion you get on the plates, it's always an honor to see Vencil Mare and look at his old war pics and patches, I don't know if he's even aware of the prices vs portions that is being served.

I agree, not a fan of their sauce, how can it be so undesirable.

The only issue I have with Louie Mueller in Taylor is why with all the history and tasty meat is their sauce like colored water

The colored water you refer to is probably the aus jus and not a proper sauce.

I had it with the beef rib there and thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I haven't been to snows , BBQ for breakfast just ain't on my menu . I have been to the rest and will take Two Fat Guys in Campwood over all of them anytime any day . The owners a biker so he gets my BBQ bucks . Best in the state for me .

I haven't been to snows , BBQ for breakfast just ain't on my menu . I have been to the rest and will take Two Fat Guys in Campwood over all of them anytime any day . The owners a biker so he gets my BBQ bucks . Best in the state for me .

I agree times 100.
Best dang pork ribs I've eaten in my life if memory serves me.

Was there about 3 weeks ago. Stopped out front of his place bummed out that it was a day they were closed. (Closed Mon-Wed, pork ribs avail Fri-Sun).

Well owner and one worker happened to be inside cleaning the place. Head popped out the front door and said come inside we'll feed you. Had the best lunch and great conversation with a knowledgeable and active motorcyclist owner. Come time to leave he wouldn't accept payment. Said give his worker a tip and come back again soon.

I definitely will and every chance I get. My new all time favorite.

_

We have the TWT monthly pie runs, and I seem to recall someone suggested a BBQ run based on the Texas Monthly 50 Best BBQ Joints article. Couldn't find it again. Did it gain momentum?? :eat3:

Well, Franklin BBQ is no longer #1.

newsEngin.19685467_mc.jpg

Best BBQ places are always the dirtiest and end up catching fire because they never clean out the build up.

Best BBQ places are always the dirtiest and end up catching fire because they never clean out the build up.

What was the name of that barbecue joint on the Johnson County line that burned back in the 70s or early 80s? Story is the local fire department just watched it burn because of the location.

Hurricanes seem to start with a few fires. The wind kicks up before everything gets wet and a small ember can really take off. During Ike, half the fences in Willowbend caught fire as soon as the power lines went down in the wind.

What was the name of that barbecue joint on the Johnson County line that burned back in the 70s or early 80s? Story is the local fire department just watched it burn because of the location.

Charlie Perkins! he had over time done a lot of work cooking for the Cleburne Fire department and it was not the county line, he was right outside the city limits.
his place was two tenths of a mile west of main street on hwy171 and the city limits sign was right there just before the turn into his place.
best BBQ place around and one day he started up a fire and it got a bit hot and ignited the smoky goodness that had built up in the stacks.

I do not know what the backstory fully was, but the fire department was under explicit orders for some time that under no conditions what so ever were they to ever set one foot across city limits.
when the fire started the call went to Cleburne fire and they had a station not a half mile away and they were there in minutes and came to a screeching stop right at the city limit sign.
at that point the fire was in the chimney it had not spread yet. they (CFD) had to call city dispatch and the city dispatch had to call over to the sheriff's dispatch and the call went out to Godley volunteer department why by the time they got a crew together and came all the way to Cleburne the fire had spread and it was to late to save the place.

the whole time Charlie is standing there at the city limit sign pleading with the Cleburne fire fighters to save his place and they just sat there and watched. it wasn't till it was finally brought under control with help from several other area volunteer departments and was in the mop up stage that the paid Cleburne professional fire fighters finally got in their truck and left.

That one earned a Texas Monthly "Bum Steer" award in 1983

Source: http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/bum-steer-awards-1983/

BUT THANKS TO THE AUTHENTIC SMOKE FLAVOR, THEY BOUGHT FIVE ORDERS TO GO
Citing a city ordinance that prohibits firemen from answering calls outside the city, a truckload of Cleburne fire fighters sat and watched Charlie Perkins’ barbecue restaurant —bordering the city limits three blocks from downtown — burn to the ground while Perkins fought the blaze with a garden hose.

Of the Texas Monthly BBQ joints I've tried thus far, Flores BBQ in Whitney is tops on my list, followed by BBQ on the Brazos, Heim BBQ, and Pecan Lodge.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I tried BBQ on the Brazos last week. Phenomenal. Better than Heim, which I really love, and probably the best I've had in North Texas. I need to get down to Flores.

Hit me up. It'll be a nice ride down. Still have the Superduke?

You might be thinking of Squidward. He rode a Superduke a few years back. Not sure what he's on now.

I used to ride a ZRX1100 and then a Blackbird, now on a Concours 14.

Back