• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Husqvarna TE610/630 thread

Trick looking ride.

+1
Plenty of nice extras there also, Leo Vince, Lynx, seat, rack, etc. You're ready to go. Couldn't help notice the Fastway sticker but looks like PO already took the pegs off for his next bike. Brand new Golden Boy's also, those tires aren't as bad as everybody says. I currently have one on the rear of mine, not bad but it did chunk up some on the rocks at Big Bend.

_

+1
Plenty of nice extras there also, Leo Vince, Lynx, seat, rack, etc. You're ready to go. Couldn't help notice the Fastway sticker but looks like PO already took the pegs off for his next bike. Brand new Golden Boy's also, those tires aren't as bad as everybody says. I currently have one on the rear of mine, not bad but it did chunk up some on the rocks at Big Bend.

_

I already have my pivot pegz to install.

Need to pull the rear subframe for welding and the battery box. Any of you fine Houston Folk want to help?

I bought a 640 adventure at i think i prefer the KTM Fits into my vision of my future bike stable better.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86915

Well that was quick, you only had it for 5 days and selling already. What happened?

"No issues with bike; I just don’t ride it enough and it needs to be enjoyed."

Did you even get the chance to take it for a real ride including some dirt?

_

Time for a quick update to bring this thread up to date.

Oct 2012 on the last day of a weeklong BBRSP ride I broke the rear aluminum subframe. This is a known weakness of the bike but being stubborn I didn't take preventive measures and rode with a tail bag full of tools. The rock pounding finally took it's toll. Mileage at this point is 13,854

Almost embarrassed to admit but I let the bike sit for an entire year without action. Having multiple bikes gives you options and I always pick riding over wrenching. Did woods riding on the 2 stroke, then bought a vintage MX bike and started racing a little and then bought a VStrom and used that as my dirt road bike. Then LA-Barstow to Las Vegas came around again and the Husky is the only bike I wanted to use for that ride. So with that fast forward to Nov 2013.

Stock Yuasa battery sat connected the entire year, not even a second of battery tender and I didn't start the bike even once. Figured the battery would be toast and planned to replace it. But my DMM measured ~12.2V to my surprise. So hooked up the battery tender and after only 5 hours was fully charged. Wow! I'm sold on Yuasa now.

Rear subframe removed and carted off to G-Town. Very special thanks to TWT'er JMZ for his fine welding skills.

2013-11-17143430_zpse6c28b24.jpg

He did an excellent job repairing the breaks and then we added an extra gusset on each side to strengthen the subframe. It is now way stronger than stock and no worries about breaking again. I loaded 35-40 lbs on my rack and rode some rough and high speed terrain from LV to Barstow prior to the ride and no issues. When subrame originally broke I was only loading it with 10 lbs. or less.

2013-11-17145814_zps07f50afe.jpg

Drained gas in tank, cleaned air filter, checked valves for 3rd time (still w/i spec, only a single shim changed since new) and put in a new spark plug (first plug change). The rejuvenated Yuasa fired the bike right up and hasnt given me a slow crank since. Even with plenty of near freezing mornings out west with extended cranking. Also since FI no carb cleaning required and no jetting worries either. I was even tempted to use the year old gas but decided against it. Trip west had us riding from 28 ft above sea level to 9,000 ft and no noticeable loss of power. Not a single burb, hiccup or fart..absolutely flawless.

Mt. Lemmon - Tucson AZ, snow in the desert in November. Found snow and ice 30 miles from Las Vegas a week later also.

2013-11-25114440_zps239552ca.jpg

outskirts of Las Vegas NV, ready to start riding away from the bright lights. Didn't hit pavement until Barstow CA

2013-11-27105659_zpsc49c3d43.jpg

Sep/Oct 2012 my hydraulic clutch had developed a leak and I was refilling/back bleeding daily at BBRSP. Problem was a leaking o-ring in the clutch actuator slave. Found a close enough sized replacement at Fastenal, bag of 25pcs for $1.80. No leaks now for one month and 1,300 miles and I have two dozen spares if needed.

Also had developed a slight oil drip from the shifter seal. I attributed some of this from banging the gears for a week at BBRSP with very minimal to no clutch use. Then sitting for a year on the sidestand got the leak going more. I replaced the seal using blind technique and all good now. Not a single drip since replacing. $6 part ordered from Husky dealer.

Noticed a slight coolant seep from the resovoir tank. It has a threaded brass insert for bolting to the mounting bracket. Seep was coming from around the insert. I fixed that by adding an o-ring from 50pc o-ring assortment package from the 99 cent store. Cost $1.08

Put fresh Dunlop D606's front and rear and headed out west. Did 5 days of incredible riding over every extreme of terrain you could imagine. Snow, ice, slush, mud, water, rocks, gravel, sand, more sand and then some more sand 2 ft. deep for miles on end. Did I mention the sand? Dont even think about riding LA-Barstow to Las Vegas if you're not comfortable riding sand that would have many turning around and going home.

No issues on the trip and since coming home have ridden single track at SHNF. Ok granted the Husky is not the preferred tool for that job but still had some muddy fun and a freezing night ride the 70 miles back home. That is what a dual sport is all about, ride to ride and then ride home. All on a single tank of gas and even without the low fuel light coming on thanks to my Safari Valdez.

Now bike is at 15,186 miles

Summary 13,800+ miles in first year
one year of hibernation
1,300 miles of rough dual sport in 3 weeks

minimal issues, never left me stranded
minimal repair/maintenance costs
high fun factor
highly recommended

Now that I have the bike back in shape it's like I have a new bike and honeymoon time all over again. Will probably rack up plenty more miles in short order and neglect the other bikes for awhile. That's the way I roll, catch you on the trail, road or somewhere in between.

_

I bought Rich's (Trail Boss) 610 in September. My first trip was to Cloudcroft in late September.

P9251461-L.jpg

I had a blast out there but the suspension beat the crap out of me since I'm a lightweight and it was sprung too stiff. I sent it off to Les at LT Racing when I got back and he worked his magic on it. It's perfect now.

I also got to talk to George from Uptite when the bike turned into a paint shaker on the first day of our Cloudcroft trip. He stepped me through the replacement of the woodruff key and all was well after a maintenance day.

woodruff-L.jpg

I love the bike and can't wait to get back out to Big Bend with it in March for Uncle's get together.

Besides the suspension respring and revalve, I've added Pivot Pegz, heated grips, wired up my gps, added an sae pigtail for heated gear/pump power/battery tender, HDB guards with blinkers, a Seat Concepts seat and a GPS mount. I also put on a set of Michelin T63 knobbies. They aren't the most aggressive tires but they worked pretty well on the urban singletrack and Bastrop trails and are decent on the road. Plus they are cheap.

Welcome to the fold. Didn't know Rich sold his bike.

Yours is looking nice and has some of the best options on it. Didn't think Rich had a Safari tank, was that your first mod? Pivot Pegz are the shizzle, big bucks but worth it. Once you try them you're hooked for life.

What a field repair you did! George Earl is great resource to the Husky community, even after he defected (unvoluntarily) to Beta. Woodruff key is a well known weakness of the early production 610's. Clutch cable and cup spring washers in the cush clutch assembly another. Also check the number of clicks on your cam chain tensioner to gauge life left.

I finally found a used seat on Ebay so I will have a Seat Concept soon also. Just plenty of peg standing until then. I have a couple near 1,000 mile days on the stock 2X4 so a few more months wont kill me.

Michelin T63 is probably the best all around performer and value for the rear tire. I've worn out three of them and keep trying other tires but going back. Currently have a Dunlop D606 on and while great in dirt, that thing howls like a freight train on pavement so wont run another. T63 lets you ride it like a sportsbike and excellent in the rain also.

_

It came with the Safari tank. That thing is a monster but I haven't ridden with it full so I guess it actually carries the fuel lower than stock with an equivalent fuel load.

The one thing I didn't read about before I bought the bike was the woodruff key. We had finished up the day's ride and were about three miles from the cabin when it let go. I thought the motor was grenading and just decided to ride it until it quit. It kept running the whole way and my legs and hands were both asleep from the vibration. It was crazy. The field repair wasn't too bad but we did have to run into civilization and purchase some large sockets and a new key. An SAE key fit but I took it back apart when I got back home and put an OEM part back in.

I carry a spare clutch cable with me. I got to look at the cush drive several times while replacing the woodruff key and the washers look perfect. The bike now has 18,000 miles so I'm a bit surprised by that. Rich was nice enough to replace the cam chain and a few other bits right before I bought the bike so I should be good until at least 25,000.

The Seat Concepts is very nice. The bike came with a Renazco but it hurt after a couple of hours. I don't even notice the new seat which is nice. Hopefully you'll have the same experience with yours.

Just before doing the LA-Barstow-Vegas ride I showed up at seat concepts back door with both my 511 Huskys & the seat off my Terra. Those guys were super nice, got right onto reworking all my seats and had me going out the door with the whole lot by that afternoon. The owner and his wife are avid dirt enthusiasts, and great folks. The results of their work was very impressive. I went from having sciatic issues within 90 minutes of getting on the bike, to doing both full days of desert riding without ever having any pain. I highly recommend Seat Concepts!

Just received notice that Munn Racing is now a Husqvarna dealer! 20-40 miles farther than Austin for most in the Houston area but finally a dealer that knows dirt bikes. Big step up from that Agent Orange dealer IMO. Now just waiting for one of the Houston KTM dealers to add Husqvarna also. Only thing better than that would be if they bring the Nuda back.

204.jpg

_

The guys at Munn certainly know the TX race scene about as good as any of em. When we were running orange bikes with my son, they were always a pleasure to deal with. Glad to hear they will be a Husky dealer too. My Husky friends at Napalm in Austin were just telling me last week that Mancuso is now listed as a Husky dealer here in Houston. I have been out of town so haven't followed up on it yet to see what they have and where.

Checked the website and no Mancuso. Actually that would have really surprised me as they carry BMW and through all the BMW owned years they didn't become a dealer. And they don't carry KTM either at any location and now to become a Husqvarna dealer?? I'm suspecting that one or more of the local KTM dealers pick up the brand. Tejas and/or Cycle Shack would be my wish.

Also Munn is already listed on their website but no Napalm. Are they being dropped?

_

One of the issues with Husqvarna while under BMW control was they would not let BMW dealers sell Husky as well. They wanted a more "dirt oriented" channel as one BMW dealer told me. That may or may not play into the current Husqvarna plan. I couldn't get any information from either Mancuso Powersports' website nor Husqvarna's, but if the association was recent neither may have had the chance to update their information. Also there may be other formalities that Mancuso has to go through before becoming official like receiving training and inventory. I'll call Daniel today and see what he has to say.

Not sure what is the actual story with Mancuso, but that is what I heard. I also thought it sounded like an unlikely fit. The Napalm guys are definitely still a Husky dealer. They just stepped up on their parts inventory order, and have about twenty something new bikes on order for delivery later this next month. They also hired a young new manager who rides and races in expert class. This will help round out their dirt bike & dual sport support team. Those guys were meeting all day with their Husky factory rep just a few weeks ago in Austin talking strategy going forward for the brand. Be interested to see what Mike learns when he talks to his Mancuso friends. Cycle Shack would be the most logical Houston dealer since they are a dirt oriented full service top tier KTM dealer. Plus they were the big Husky dealer in Houston "back in the day", so that would bring it full circle.

Back