• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawaski KLX 250 thread.

So, you have tight ratio from 1 to 4. And then all of a sudden, you have a big jump from 4 to 5.

That's not at all how it is set up. The wide ratio kit spreads out several gears, not just the last one.

AT 11,000 miles last week, I replaced the original chain/sprockets on the '06 KLX250S with a D.I.D. x-ring chain and 13T/42T steel sprockets. The old chain had become quite stiff, to the point I could tell the difference in the new chain while pushing the bike around. The bike certainly moved more freely on yesterday's test ride.

So KLX have gone by the way of the Dodo??

Don't know what Kaw is doing with the KLX250S. It has been available with EFI in Europe for a couple of years now - shows as a 2015 model in Britain with EFI :http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/products/dual_purpose/2015/klx250/features?Uid=0919DFxeXFoMWVAJWQoKXAsJXgpYX1tbDAwMUFAJW14MUQo.

But then the KLX250S shows as an available 2016 model in Australia with a carb?: http://www.kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/offroad/2016-klx250s.

Altho the accuracy is suspect, I have "heard" a couple of rumors: 1) Kaw can't get the current EFI to pass USA DOT emissions standards :confused: and 2) Kaw is working on an EFI KLX300S before bring more into the States.

I'm considering a KLX250S as a replacement for my XR650L. I'm not a little guy but have always prefered smaller displacement motorcycles. I am also more of a dirt bike guy then a street bike guy. My only real concern with the KLX is riding it on the highway. Can it handle sustained 70 mph speeds?

I'm considering a KLX250S as a replacement for my XR650L. I'm not a little guy but have always prefered smaller displacement motorcycles. I am also more of a dirt bike guy then a street bike guy. My only real concern with the KLX is riding it on the highway. Can it handle sustained 70 mph speeds?

Not in stock form. My top speed is right around 65 (actual GPS verified speed), and it's pretty wrung out at that point. I've kept mine stock - a big bore to KLX331, carb re-jet and full exhaust would probably increase top speed a bit.

For highway speeds, you might consider a DRZ400. Only a little bigger and heavier than a KLX but probably easier to cruise 70MPH.

I got a 81 KL250 about a year ago. The gold rim one. I love this little bike. It is spunky. Can you get a larger fuel tank? This one is small, maybe 2 gallons.

Chris, with me and gear at ~200 lbs, for me, comfortable sustained road travel speed was 61 [GPS] mph on my former '06 KLX250S with 13/42 gearing. Fuel range with stock tank at such speeds was ~94 miles to reserve. Fuel economy/range diminished quickly at speeds faster than that.
get-photo.asp

Last edited:

Short answer sure. Long answer as it comes stock maybe not the best tool in the box. With seat and other ergonomic changes it can be made into a nice light adventure tourer. The long highway stretches aren't going to be barrels of fun but they are doable. I have 13/42 gearing on mine as well. It doesn't have arm wrenching power so passing has to be well planned and executed. When you arrive at the dirt part of your trip that's when traveling on a lighter bike really starts to shine and makes whatever limitations you had getting there worthwhile. I've done some long highway stints on my 2012 and as others have said 65mph was the easiest to maintain all day long.

I'm not looking to do a lot of highway riding just what I have to do to get to the dirt. I live on the north side of San Antonio on the edge of the Hill Country and just want access that area straight from home. A big bore would be on my to do list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back