• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Portable Compressor Recommendation

NPHLYT

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
I am looking for a portable compressor that I can either plug into the 12v port in my car or attach to the battery using alligator clips. Recommendations please.

And go...

It would depend upon what it's use is? I have used an autozone pump and a slime and both burnt out. If you want light weight the co2 cartridges are great but you need to carry a few. I have also used a handpump but took time. I currently use one from a Porsche 944 as they used a collapsed spare. Seems to work but to locate one will be costly if not on hand.

Regards,
Ratelbadger

And also how portable. Portable in your pocket, on a bike, in the trunk of your car?

Trunk of a car. I will be clearing out a storage unit over the next few weeks and need to air up 5 motorcycles and a blat trailer.

And also how portable. Portable in your pocket, on a bike, in the trunk of your car?

Did a lot of reading myself-- for >$50.00 the reviews led me to the Airman. It is decent. Part number c60a54

Since you want it for your car where space isn't a major issue, I wouldn't mess with a smaller one that's meant to be bike-friendly. You have a lot of choices. Black & Decker, Sears, the Harbor Freight one, all work quite well. I've had good success with Cambell-Hausfields from Walmart. Another option is to simply carry a 110V pump such as a Black & Decker Air Station, and plug it through a power inverter. If you do that, make sure your inverter will handle enough amps to drive the pump. AND, attach it to your battery via alligator clips instead of through the lighter socket - otherwise, you risk blowing a fuse in your car.

My son and I used one of these from Harbor Freight when we went to Prudhoe Bay.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...volt-250-psi-compact-air-compressor-4077.html

It aired up the Busa's back tire 3 times when we changed the rear tire on the trip. It did get hotter than blazes but when we shot it with chain lube it cooled right down.:rofl::rofl:

I still have the Harbor Freight one but it is bulkier than the Slime I have now.

I now carry a Slime Branded one. I believe I picked up 4 or 5 for $19.99 apiece a few years back. Gave one to each of my MC riding sons. I have not needed it for the MC but have used it to help out car drivers who had a flat. Worked well enough for that.

Thanks for the recommendations. The one I have will get me by for a while. I use it to top up the tires on all or our vehicles. I also carry it with me when we go a little further from home or camping. I really need a normal compressor in the garage.

for the bike I bought the really small SLIME model.

Slime Tire Top Off

It's worked about 5 times then one day would not work at all.

I picked up a superflow HV-35.

Draws a lot of amps but real quick to inflate a tire.

About twice the size and 4 times the weight.

I picked up a superflow HV-35.

Draws a lot of amps but real quick to inflate a tire.

About twice the size and 4 times the weight.

That looks like a decent one, and not a bad price.

years ago I bought a cheap walmart compressor, removed the plastic shell leaving only the pump. Rewired a longer cord with alligator clips and store in a small crown royal bag.
used a couple times, no problems altho don't touch it when in use.
michael

Back