• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inspected and Tagged - no signals required

Reaction score
At the back of the pack and out of the dust
I took the DR200 down for inspection and plates today. Knowing that some inspection stations are not familiar with the turn signal requirements for motorcycles, I asked the inspector his thoughts. So he and another inspector got out the book and there in black ink on green paper, he found the addendum that states that motorcycles do not have to have turn signals. I had seen the section that included things to be inspected which does not include turn signals, but never a section that specifically mentioned them as not necessary.

So with the research fresh, I headed back to the farm to get the KTM even thought it doesn't come up for renewal until the end of November.Twenty minutes later I'm talking to the tax assessor and getting tags for both.

She says that the two steps one sticker program has really made it easier. I'm starting to agree.

m

I was once told if the bike doesn't have turn signals, no biggie, but if it has them and they don't work then, no inspection.

It's an all or nothing thing. You have either four or zero and if you have four then all four have to work. If you don't have any, then you are expected to use hand signals and hope that any drivers around you know what you are doing.

When I was a kid, they didn't even have them. We did however have to demonstrate proper hand signals using the left arm to get our class M.

Yea, as a 15 YO kid getting my restricted license on a SL 100, I was so busy trying to get my hand signals right I cut a corner and failed my first test.

Overall I've been impressed with how well the Two Steps, One Sticker program has worked, especially in La Grange. The wife's car is still registered in Harris county, so the registration paperwork is necessary to get a tag at the local Kroger (but not insurance or inspection), but in Fayette county I just ride the few blocks from the inspection station to the TACs office and give them the inspection document.

m

On the inspection discussion, is a front brake switch for brake light required? I was thinking no, but she made me do both today. On a kitted dirt bike I don't think they have a front just rear.

They should ask to activate both brake levers, but only one has to work. Or that was the case several years ago when I converted a WR250f.

Code says "or" on brake. Front or rear. I don't argue I simply ask them to get the book and read. In the case they want to make their own rules I simply inform them that I will report them to the state. The state official in the Victoria area is a bulldog and none of the inspectors want a visit from them.

It's just like how a speedometer is not needed to inspect a vehicle of any kind. I could be mistaken but I think also there is no provision for having a windshield, but you have to have working windshield wipers....

http://www.officialinspectionstation.com/inspection.asp

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/windshield-laws-in-texas-by-valerie-mellema

Many of these lists are a little misleading.

They don't require some things, but if your vehicle is so-equipped, they have to work properly.

When I was doing inspections, you might fail your licensing test if you missed too many items on the quiz. I almost failed my test for not checking that the vehicles seat belts were properly attached. (I checked that it did have belts but they threw in a ringer and the belts were bailing wired to the floor of the test vehicle... uggggh!) You risk your and your stations licenses from the Trooper that checks your licensing station. If you missed some of these un-named items you could be gigged for it.

It doesn't say anything about windshields but if you have one, it can't be cracked or broken. Same thing with lamp lenses.

Don't have to have signals at all, but if you have them they can't be cracked, broken, broken mounts, frayed wires etc...

Some lists don't mention a high-beam indicator, but you have to have one. Not to mention the high/low beam itself.

And, on top of all that, these items have to be DOT approved.

Now, your shop's inspector may not be so picky about your vehicle, but he did when he took his test. And he will if the State Trooper is scheduled to drop by his station on the day you want your vehicle inspected. The fines are huge for willfully approving a vehicle that won't pass.

Several years ago I had a big "round n' round" with my visiting Trooper because I passed a Big Dog chopper without a front brake (usually required). It had 2 brakes, but one was on the drive-chain jack shaft before the back wheel. The Trooper relented and let that bike pass, but told me in the future to send them back to the selling dealership to get the inspections. I never heard back from him whether they got that deal sorted out.

Last edited:
I just had my mothers mini van inspected and learned from the inspector that for 2017, the third center brake light on cars(1986 on) and pickups(1996 on) will be a inspected item.
also learned from the tax lady that you no longer get new plates every seven years, if you want new plates they will sell them to you but as long as the plates are readable there is no longer a need to change them every seven years.

As a inspector myself, and as a traffic policeman later on, the rule was if your bike had turn signals present on the bike, they had to work. Absent the mounted turn signals all was good. The thing about the high beam indicator having to work is still good. Apparently in this time of HID lights and LED headlamps on bikes the rule is run them on high beam all the time and annoy the heck out everyone else. Being the fully mature person I am now at 68 years old, my method of presenting them with my feelings about being blinded at night and even during the day, is to turn on my Pia super max lights on my FJR and just blind them right back. If I could mount some of the bright as the sun lights that are available I would put a bar across my handle bars and mount at least 6 of those 20 million giga- watt lights to reply to those who do not understand the nicety of dimming their lights at the appropriate times. I know its apparently immature of me, but my retinas are getting a little fussy about having holes burned into them.

Back