• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If only I had more money...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
The 300 version of this would be high on my list!

http://enduro21.com/index.php/40-general/2184-first-look-2018-ktm-250-300-exc-tpi-2-stroke-enduro

KTM-300-EXC-TPI-2-stroke-fuel-injected-enduro-2018_1.jpg

Last edited:
Fuel injected two stroke. Does that mean all you guys with OLD technology carburetor models are going to sell them dirt bike cheap? :lol2:

Most important from the list of benefits.........."No flooding when flipping over the bike.":rofl::flip:

You have time to start saving if the fuel injected 300 is what you want. The 300 is not coming to the USA as a fuel injected 2018 model. It will still be carbed.

2019 for the 300 fuel injected most likely.

:tab Oh, I have time to save... I rarely buy a new bike. I am riding a 2007 BMW 1200 GS that I bought used back in 2015. My 2010 KTM 530 is my newest bike, having been bought used in late 2011. Besides, with something that new, I'd usually wait a year or two anyway just to make sure they get the bugs worked out. So I'd be looking at 2020 at the earliest to get a used 2019 :-P

KTM never ceases to impress me with their new offerings. I'm sure this new 2T will be nothing short of amazing. That said, as far as I'm concerned, for me my 300 is pure nirvana on single track. But, then again, I'm old, slow, and don't bounce like I used too, so YMMV...

KTM never ceases to impress me with their new offerings. I'm sure this new 2T will be nothing short of amazing. That said, as far as I'm concerned, for me my 300 is pure nirvana on single track. But, then again, I'm old, slow, and don't bounce like I used too, so YMMV...

You still bounce just fine... It is the recovery from the bouncing that isn't what it used to be ;-)

Are the 2018 fuel injected Husky 2-strokes being sold in the US? The website says it is being sold wherever a dealer can be found if I am reading it correctly.

I hope this is leading other more exciting, possible road going 2T's. That would be a great adventure. :rider:

I've got mixed feelings about FI on a 2 stroke.
I've owned a FI dirtbike thumper for almost 5 yrs now.
the complex FI system, the myriads of relays, connnectors, sensors, and computerization have all but locked me out of the simple pleasures of wrenching on my bike. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I no longer need to rejet, but do I want this level of complexity locking me out of my 2 stroke?

What I love about 2 stroke dirt bikes is that the technology hasn't gotten too advanced for my wrenching skills. Granted a two stroke lives and dies by how well you know how to rejet. But once you understand the pilot, needle, and main, you have an awesome and extremely reliable dirt bike that will not let you down. It just wants to scream and delivers a sense of personal satisfaction and fun that ver few 4 strokes can provide.

Grass isn't greener on the other side...not yet anyways.

2018 we get 300 EXC TPI. Six Days model also.
http://www.ktm.com/enduro/300-exc-tpi/

Decent ride review here:
http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2018-ktm-250300-excxc-w-tpi-riding-impression/

...Granted a two stroke lives and dies by how well you know how to rejet. But once you understand the pilot, needle, and main, you have an awesome and extremely reliable dirt bike that will not let you down.

If you ride in one area that's true. But if you travel out of area this can be an issue. Nothing like having auto jetting instead of opening up the carb every trip stop and pulling out your crib notes of jets used from last time you rode that elevation. First time visit though you're doing it on site from scratch.

...Grass isn't greener on the other side...not yet anyways.

The list of "Benefits in Brief" is about as greener as it gets for me. Add to that less smoking/spooge and less oil consumption. Pre mix ratio is a compromise for most as we ride at a wide range of rpm/throttle.

_

Fuel injected two stroke. Does that mean all you guys with OLD technology carburetor models are going to sell them dirt bike cheap? :lol2:

I think there will be a big market for guys who want the older technology, so I'm keeping mine priced accordingly.

With that said, the last AMA update on the carousel retaliation issue implied that they are going through with the 100% tariff on sub 500cc European motorcycles. A well kept KTM might be worth a small fortune in the near future.

The list of "Benefits in Brief" is about as greener as it gets for me. Add to that less smoking/spooge and less oil consumption. Pre mix ratio is a compromise for most as we ride at a wide range of rpm/throttle.
_

Dave, you going to pull the trigger on a FI 300?

2018 we get 300 EXC TPI. Six Days model also.
http://www.ktm.com/enduro/300-exc-tpi/

Decent ride review here:
http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/2018-ktm-250300-excxc-w-tpi-riding-impression/

If you ride in one area that's true. But if you travel out of area this can be an issue. Nothing like having auto jetting instead of opening up the carb every trip stop and pulling out your crib notes of jets used from last time you rode that elevation. First time visit though you're doing it on site from scratch.

_

Just remember, first year(2018), they are offering both, very few less, than 1 per dealer will be FI this year. Plus they're carry a premium price. Maybe 2019 it'll be open season on them.

I think there will be a big market for guys who want the older technology, so I'm keeping mine priced accordingly.

With that said, the last AMA update on the carousel retaliation issue implied that they are going through with the 100% tariff on sub 500cc European motorcycles. A well kept KTM might be worth a small fortune in the near future.

If this does in fact happen, us with used bikes for sale will be sitting pretty!

Dave, you going to pull the trigger on a FI 300?

Yes in 4-5 years when supply good on the used market. I want one in my retirement toy hauler. I would like to have one sooner but $10K on a dirt bike is not going to happen.

_

Yeah, the price in general for all new bikes has pretty much blown me out of the market for ANY new bike. So I am reduced to sitting and waiting for a bike I want to be 3-4 years old so that the used prices hopefully get down to something reasonable. My income has not kept up with the near doubling of prices for new bikes in the last 15-20 years.

I've been reading some impressive things lately about the 690 enduro. It already comes fuel injected and might be a great alternative to the 2strokes, despite the fuel injection upgrade.

There's also some perhaps less impressive press regarding the new 1090 surviving the 2017 Romaniacs race. No doubt there that Romaniacs must put the bikes through less challenging terrain than, say, Erzberg, where the more nimble 690 would likely bring a rider the bigger advantage.

Me, I'd go for the new FI 2strokes anyway if I could afford one...just to be different. Having never ridden an FI bike of any kind, I am all game for the experience.

I have to admit that I'm spoiled by FI bikes and my 300 was the only bike I would consider without it. It's not that I can't work on carbs, I just don't want to. I won't be trading in the 300 for a FI version any time soon, but one may be in my future.
Anyway I'm glad to see them on the market. It will be interesting if this creates a resurgence in two stroke models.

m

I've been reading some impressive things lately about the 690 enduro. It already comes fuel injected and might be a great alternative to the 2strokes, despite the fuel injection upgrade.

There's also some perhaps less impressive press regarding the new 1090 surviving the 2017 Romaniacs race. No doubt there that Romaniacs must put the bikes through less challenging terrain than, say, Erzberg, where the more nimble 690 would likely bring a rider the bigger advantage.

Me, I'd go for the new FI 2strokes anyway if I could afford one...just to be different. Having never ridden an FI bike of any kind, I am all game for the experience.

Not sure how you can compare 690/1090- to a 2 stroke real dirt bike. Just not the same market. If I'm wanting to buy an offload race bike I'm not shopping for an adventure bike. And I wouldn't be taking a 250 2 stroke on an adventure ride.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can compare 690/109- to a 2 stroke real dirt bike. Just not the same market. If I'm wanting to buy an offload race bike I'm not shopping for an adventure bike. And I wouldn't be taking a 250 2 stroke on an adventure ride.

If you want to make that a challenge, comparing a 690 to a 250 2stroke, I might be able to set you up. Let me know :trust:

Back