• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gypsy

Reaction score
I just joined this forum yesterday. I first rode motorcycles when I was 13, but gave that up when I got to high school. Now I'm riding again - since Jan '06. I currently own/ride an '05 BMW R1150R which I bought new in Jan '06 and have put 13,000 miles on it. I also owned a Honda Shadow for 2 months, but did not ride it much, and a '03 Yam FZ1 which I owned for 5 months but recently sold.

I am now searching for the perfect dual sport bike to add to my BMW 1150 to take on camping/fishing trips and various other adventures. I'm interested in riding mostly fire roads and dirt roads, and doing the Trans Am Trail next year. Not so much single track anymore. So I need a bike big enough for highway, yet small enough for me to handle (5'4"). I live in the Tomball area, and rides in the Sam Houston Nat'l Park on a dual sport are in my plans too. But I need the right dual sport, so suggestions are welcomed.

Interests include photography, fishing, and music(besides riding).

I'm looking forward to being a part of this group. Pics of bikes at link below

Welcome, check out the link in my signature for the PREFECT bike for you.

Welcome, cool pics! I like the one thats all black and white except for the reflection in your shield--looks awesome!

Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab Adding that part about the "Trans Am" trail kind of tweaks the perfect bike problem a bit. From the reports I have read, there are places on that trail where something like a Strom would not be a good idea. Given your height, something along the lines of a DRZ400 (slightly lowered) might be the best way to go. They can do highway miles at reasonable speeds, can handle a good bit of luggage, and can still be used for the more technical stuff like riding the trails in the SHNF or the Trans Am trail. A wee strom or most any of the 650 DS bikes will be pretty tall and heavy for trail riding. However, they would be fine for most of the actual roads in the SHNF or any of the many unpaved county roads North of the SHNF.

:tab You might look at the Yamaha TW200. I think it is street legal and is a very popular bike with riders that cannot get a leg over the taller bikes. Also look at a Kawasaki Super Sherpa (250) or KLR 250, both street legal as well.

Welcome. I am not too far from you and I think I might have seen you on 249 once. Not too many 1150R's on the road around here.

Consider the DR650. It has a "low height" setting built in. I think it lowers the bike 2" and there are also lowering links and reduced height seats available. Gocatgo had a lowered one for sale IIRC.

I agree about the V-Strom - and it's too close in genre to my R1150R, which is too heavy even for dirt for me.

I've been looking for a Sherpa, but cannot find one. I am sort of hoping someone will tell me that a 650GS or the new BMW 650xCountry would be fine on the dirt roads in the forest or on the TAT. All of the mechanical stuff is new to me, and since I'm already learning about a BMW, it would be easier for me to transfer that knowledge to another BMW I would think.

I wonder if 2 different sizes is what I'm going to end up with - one smaller for single track and trails in the forest and then one bigger for street and dirt roads. Seems one bike is never enough!:-?

MJACKS - is your RT grey? I've only seen one other BMW on 249 and it was a grey RT I think.

I forgot to mention the bike nights in your area :doh:

:tab Every Tuesday, there is a meet at PO's Burgers on Telge (about a mile or so North of US 290) between Jarvis Rd., and Cypress North Houston Rd. Meet time is 6:30pmish until they get tires of yakking... generally around 8:30-9:00pm.

:tab If you head North on FM 149 to Montgomery, there is a weekly meet every Thursday at Phil's Restaurant. It is on the left just before the intersection of FM 149 and Hwy 105. Meet time is 7:00pm until folks get tired of visiting.

The Montgomery thread:
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15873

The PO's thread:
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19299

Come out to PO's tonight and say hello. It is only about 10 miles from Tomball. A couple of miles north of 290 on Telge.

Welcome......come to some meet and greets and maybe you can find a bike that'll suit ya.

Hey Gypsy!

I loved your pics. Pagosa/Chama is one of my regular rompin grounds on the Strom.

You might want to check out the Suzuki DR200SE for a lightweight dualsport. It has a 3.4 gal. gas tank for plenty of range and is good for short runs on pavement.

Randy

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I've got to think this purchase through meticulously because I do not want to have to trade for a larger bike later or a smaller bike later.

I stopped by the BMW dealership in N. Houston today and talked with Ronnie about the new 650 xCountry. That looks like a fun bike and from I have read it is suppose to be pretty 'flickable'. But expensive. I think picking the perfect dual sport is going to be more difficult for me than getting the right street bike was. If I was only a couple inches taller, it would solve a lot of problems.;-)

I may be at P.O.'s tonight- it dependd on what time I get out of downtown this evening. If not this Tuesday, than possibly one in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the invitation.

Hmmm.... I had never thought of the DR200SE :ponder:

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/2006-DR200SE.php

That could be a REAL fun bike!

I think so too. I just bought one to keep out at the ranch at Terlingua. Black Gap Road nearly killed me last summer and I made my mind up right then and there that I was going to get something alot lighter than the KLR. After looking at all the options I thought the DR200SE would be the best choice for me out there. The only negative is no skidplate, but I'll have the boys make me one up back in the shop.

Randy

Gypsy, there is no such thing as the perfect bike :lol2: There are a lot of almost perfect bikes out there though...

No doubt, the BMW is a sweet bike. If money is not an issue, then I'd consider it. However, with bikes like the DRZ400, there are TONS of after market goodies for getting the bike as close to perfect as you can get.

You might want to PM Georgiapeach. She likes doing the DS thing and is not real tall. She's been through quite a few bikes and would no doubt have some good advice for you ;-) The same is true for Gocatgo.

Back