TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #1001
FCBH

Re: Clouds in my coffee

Write on!

The Bridges at Toko-Ri, Sayonara, The Source, Centennial, Chesapeake, The Covenant, Space, Poland, Texas and Alaska...need I say more?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #1002
FCBH

Careful with your camera, Facebook may be watching

Facebook has built its highly profitable social network off its users, selling advertisements based on their ages, interests and other details. But the scrutiny over the company’s vast trove of personal data — following a report that a political consulting firm, Cambridge Analytics, had improperly obtained information of 50 million users — is taking direct aim at that lucrative formula.

The F.T.C. investigation is connected to a settlement the agency reached with Facebook in 2011 after finding that the company had told users that third-party apps on the social media site, like games, would not be allowed to access their data. But the apps, the agency found, were able to obtain almost all personal information about a user.

You don't need to wear a tinfoil hat to believe that the CIA is using Facebook to some degre., Twitter, Google and other social media are known to spy on individuals. That's because the CIA publishes a helpful list of press releases on all the social media ventures it sponsors, via its technology investment arm In-Q-Tel.

Last edited by FCBH; 04-04-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added link
FCBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #1003
FCBH

Deodorant sales spike every four years

The CBOE Volatility Index, known by its ticker symbol VIX, is a popular measure of the stock market's expectation of volatility implied by S&P 500 index options, calculated and published by the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE). It is colloquially referred to as the fear index or the fear gauge.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #1004
FCBH

Trail of gears

Trail of Tears, in U.S. history, the forced relocation during the 1830s of Eastern Woodlands Indians of the Southeast region of the United States (including Cherokee, Creek, Chickasaw, Choctaw, and Seminole, among other nations) to Indian Territory west of the Mississippi River.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #1005
FCBH

Flight controller in 2018

On August 5th, 1981, President Ronald Reagan fired more than 11,000 air traffic controllers who ignored his order to return to work. The sweeping mass firing of federal employees slowed commercial air travel, but it did not cripple the system as the strikers had forecast.

Two days earlier, nearly 13,000 controllers walked out after talks with the Federal Aviation Administration collapsed. As a result, some 7,000 flights across the country were canceled on that day at the peak of the summer travel season.

Reagan branded the strike illegal. He threatened to fire any controller who failed to return to work within 48 hours. Federal judges levied fines of $1 million per day against the union.

In 1955, Congress made such strikes punishable by fines or a one-year jail term — a law the Supreme Court upheld in 1971.

To the chagrin of the strikers, the FAA’s contingency plans worked. Some 3,000 supervisors joined 2,000 nonstriking controllers and 900 military controllers in manning airport towers. Before long, about 80 percent of flights were operating normally. Air freight remained virtually unaffected.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #1006
FCBH

The Odd Couple

The Odd Couple, formally titled onscreen Neil Simon's The Odd Couple, is an American television situation comedy broadcast from September 24, 1970, to March 7, 1975, on ABC. It stars Tony Randall as Felix Unger and Jack Klugman as Oscar Madison, and was the first of several sitcoms developed by Garry Marshall for Paramount Television. The show is based on the 1965 play of the same name, which was written by Neil Simon, as well as on the play's 1968 film adaptation. Felix and Oscar are both divorced. They share a Manhattan apartment, and their different lifestyles inevitably lead to conflicts and laughs.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #1007
FCBH

Ed's Lounge Bar in Terlingua

Perhaps the best-kept secret about the Big Bend is the view from the porch in Terlingua @ Ed's Lounge Bar near the Ghost Town. Most afternoons you can see the Santa Fe de Los Pinos mountain range over 80 miles south in Mexico, and of course such local landmarks as the Chisos Mountains and Mule Ears peaks. Terlingua was a mining town around the turn of the century and was the site of the first famous championship chili cook off in 1967, that today draws over 10,000 “chili heads” from all over the world on the first Saturday every November.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #1008
FCBH

Leaning Motorcycle Tower of Pisa

Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italian Torre Pendente di Pisa, medieval structure in Pisa, Italy, that is famous for the settling of its foundations, which caused it to lean 5.5 degrees (about 15 feet [4.5 metres]) from the perpendicular in the late 20th century. Extensive work was subsequently done to straighten the tower, and its lean was ultimately reduced to less than 4.0 degrees.

Picture of JeffS with his trusty Kawasaki Versys.

Last edited by FCBH; 04-04-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #1009
FCBH

Rocky Mountain Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express is a non-technical term for a meteorological phenomenon characterized by a strong and persistent flow of atmospheric moisture and associated with heavy precipitation from the waters adjacent to the Hawaiian Islands and extending to any location along the Pacific coast of North America.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #1010
FCBH

Go West young man!

"Go West, young man" is a phrase often credited to the American author and newspaper editor Horace Greeley concerning America's expansion westward, related to the then-popular concept of Manifest Destiny.

Greeley favored westward expansion. He saw the fertile farmland of the west as an ideal place for people willing to work hard for the opportunity to succeed. The phrase came to symbolize the idea that agriculture could solve many of the nation's problems of poverty and unemployment characteristic of the big cities of the East. It is one of the most commonly quoted sayings from the nineteenth century and may have had some influence on the course of American history.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #1011
FCBH

The lost road of Atlantis

Many books and TV shows have been made about the possible location of Atlantis. A quick Google search will show that some people say Santorini is Atlantis, while others believe that the waters off Bimini are hiding a road to the lost city. However, if we look at Plato’s text, it tells us where the submerged island once stood. The text reads that Atlantis “came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean.” It goes on to say that “there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you, called the Pillars of Heracles.”
Old 04-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #1012
FCBH

Midnight at the Oasis

"Midnight at the Oasis" is a 1973 song written by David Nichtern. It was recorded by the singer Maria Muldaur for her self-titled album and is her best-known recording, peaking at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the spring of 1974. Billboard ranked it as the No. 13 song for 1974. It was also nominated for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year at the 17th Annual Grammy Awards, held in 1975.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #1013
FCBH

The last Mexica ruler

Cortes and other Spanish conquistadors established a series of colonial rulers, but today, Cuauhtemoc is remembered as a symbol of indigenous pride and pre-Columbian civilization in Mexico. Cuauhtemoc is a popular boy’s name, and a statue of the last Aztec emperor stands in the Zocalo, the central plaza of Mexico City—what was once Tenochtitlan. More info here.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #1014
FCBH

Take Me to the River

Take me to the river
And wash me down
Won't you cleanse my soul
Put my feet on the ground
I don't know why she treated me so bad
After all the things that we could have had
Love is a notion that I can't forget....

Lyrics by Al Green
Old 04-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #1015
FCBH

Firestone Panini

Panini is literally the Italian word for sandwiches. Plural. Just one would be a panino. Here in Britain it’s accepted as a sandwich made in some kind of rectangular or cylindrical roll, then toasted on a panini press. Cheese is expected but not vital, and there are no formal requirements for the fillings.

Last edited by FCBH; 04-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #1016
FCBH

5.6 kilometers to the top of the plateau

In 1790, the French National Assembly commissioned the Academy of Science to design a simple decimal-based system of units; the system they devised is known as the metric system. In 1960, the metric system was officially named the Système International d'Unités (or SI for short) and is now used in nearly every country in the world except the United States. The metric system is almost always used in scientific measurement.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #1017
FCBH

Achtung baby, countersteer now!

Counter Steering will enable you to quickly and safely avoid sudden obstacles on the road without falling. It should become second nature.

THE most effective way to get a motorcycle to go from upright to leaned is to introduce handlebar inputs. By pressing forward (and to a lesser degree, down) on the handlebar on the side that you want to turn, you essentially unbalance the bike so that it “falls” into a lean. Press on the right handlebar to initiate a lean to the right and press on the left handlebar to turn left.

You can enhance this effect by also simultaneously pulling on the other handlebar. This is how racers achieve quick changes in direction in chicanes on the racetrack.

Once the bike is leaned, then the front tire will steer slightly into the direction of the turn. You must relax your arms to let this natural balancing effect occur otherwise it will feel as if the motorcycle is not able to maintain the cornering path. Press, and then relax.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #1018
FCBH

The Martian among us

The story that mass panic broke out because of an Orson Welles radio show became part of modern folklore. The idea that hysteria swept America on October 30, 1938, when a 62-minute radio dramatisation of The War of the Worlds, remained unchallenged for nearly eight decades. Even those who had never heard Welles reading the HG Wells story about invading Martians wielding deadly heat-rays later claimed to have been terrified. Welles, who was born on May 6, 1915, used simulated on-the-scene radio reports about aliens advancing on New York City to pep up the story by Wells.

Last edited by FCBH; 04-10-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #1019
FCBH

Beware of the Indian

Indian is an American brand of motorcycles originally produced from 1901 to 1953 in Springfield, Massachusetts, United States. Hendee Manufacturing Company initially produced the motorcycles, but the name was changed to the Indian Motocycle Manufacturing Company in 1928.

The Indian factory team took the first three places in the 1911 Isle of Man Tourist Trophy. During the 1910s, Indian became the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in the world. Indian's most popular models were the Scout, made from 1920 to 1946, and the Chief, made from 1922 until 1953, when the Indian Motocycle Manufacturing Company went bankrupt. Various organizations tried to perpetuate the Indian brand name in subsequent years, with limited success.

In 2011, Polaris Industries purchased Indian Motorcycles and moved operations from North Carolina and merged them into their existing facilities in Minnesota and Iowa. Since August 2013, Polaris has marketed multiple modern Indian motorcycles that reflect Indian's traditional styling.