• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Europe

So can you use the maps in Basecamp or does the program work similar to Basecamp? Just curious how you view the maps and build your routes. Then, how do you get the maps to the GPS unit? Maybe start a new thread just on this topic? Your post above would be a good opening post for that thread.

So can you use the maps in Basecamp or does the program work similar to Basecamp? Just curious how you view the maps and build your routes. Then, how do you get the maps to the GPS unit? Maybe start a new thread just on this topic? Your post above would be a good opening post for that thread.

It works exactly as the maps you get from Garmin. It loads into Basecamp or Mapsource. You view the maps and build the routes with Basecamp, just like you would with Garmin's maps. The map is selected from the drop down for the Maps. The picture below is a screen capture of Basecamp, with the Map menu dropped down. You can see that I have selected "Europe OSM" (which I the one I made) instead of the Garmin "City Navigator North America NT 2019.1". Easy, once you get there.

C7MuBbQ7mAUzbhMkS-g68LH0kKVPXYCIE5-7AhGE9In42xCxQppfl46NTUBkbcFqu0eJLyS7ZqA_xcfwJb=w1151-h647-no.jpg

Not sure what you are suggesting, but I could start another topic.

...I would use OSM before any Garmin map except for North America, not including Mexico. How can you trust a mapping program called North America that doesn't include Mexico???..

My Garmin NA map has been great thus far for Mexico, even dirt roads. I've yet to be directed wrong and gas station locations are even more accurate than the US map. You did say mapping program but I thought the Basecamp map and the one in your gps unit are the same?

_

Good luck to you and Chuck.

Thanks Ralph. These are things you got to do before you can't do it anymore.
It has been a long time since I have seen you. Hope all is well.

Guess I need to spend more time on this forum; I just now found this thread! Looking forward to following your journeys, Joe. I know you guys will have a great time over there, and can't wait to hear some of the stories. Thanks for sharing about OSM too; I'll have to check that out. And don't forget.. if you need someone to ride them KTMs while you're away, I'll be glad to help out :trust:

Guess I need to spend more time on this forum; I just now found this thread! Looking forward to following your journeys, Joe. I know you guys will have a great time over there, and can't wait to hear some of the stories. Thanks for sharing about OSM too; I'll have to check that out. And don't forget.. if you need someone to ride them KTMs while you're away, I'll be glad to help out :trust:

So, you're willing to ride my KTM's. Well, no one else has offered. Rob, I don't care what the other guys say about you ... in my book, you are all right.

Yeah, the OSM stuff can be a little tricky, but once you learn it, it really starts to come easy. And the maps are pretty good too.

I have been thinking about Saturday. You guys still looking to ride the Silsby loop?

After a long wait at the Bush Intercontinental yesterday, Chuck left for Ireland. So the journey begins. His plan is to get to Cork, check out his, new to him bike, then meet his wife in London. After touring for 10 days, his wife returns to Houston and he will travel through the Chunnel and meet me in Germany on the 24th. I leave for Frankfurt on the 21st.

Hopefully, all of this planning will come together. :deal: If not, there will be another plan. :thumb:

Three days until my departure and I haven't even started packing. But with only a bike to fill up, it usually doesn't take long. Chuck has already started a conversation about the planning the next visit, probably in the fall. Me, may be I'm too laid back about this. I just want to see what it's all about before planning the next visit. I want to get my lovely bride, Laura, on board with coming over next time and get her involved. I think finding a cabin or apartment for a month (like maybe AUGUST!) somewhere to base out of would be ideal, then let the planning take care of itself.

Heidelberg weather looks pretty fine; lows in the mid 50's to highs in the mid 70's and only a few days chance of rain in the next 10 days. Nordkapp on the other hand, forecasts a low in the mid 30's and highs in the low 50's with rain chances up to 50% during our visit. Looks like we may be on the leading edge of tourist season there in Norway! :-)

*** Double Post and haven't figured out how to delete. ***

From the "FAQs"

If you have registered, you will be able to edit and delete your posts. Note that the administrator can disable this ability as he desires. Your ability to edit your posts may also be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.

To edit or delete your posts, click the button by the post you want to edit. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting the post may result in the removal of the entire thread.

After you have made your modifications, a note may appear, which notifies other users that you have edited your post. Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages but this note may not appear when they do so.

Last edited:
Three days until my departure and I haven't even started packing. But with only a bike to fill up, it usually doesn't take long. Chuck has already started a conversation about the planning the next visit, probably in the fall. Me, may be I'm too laid back about this. I just want to see what it's all about before planning the next visit. I want to get my lovely bride, Laura, on board with coming over next time and get her involved. I think finding a cabin or apartment for a month (like maybe AUGUST!) somewhere to base out of would be ideal, then let the planning take care of itself.

Heidelberg weather looks pretty fine; lows in the mid 50's to highs in the mid 70's and only a few days chance of rain in the next 10 days. Nordkapp on the other hand, forecasts a low in the mid 30's and highs in the low 50's with rain chances up to 50% during our visit. Looks like we may be on the leading edge of tourist season there in Norway! :-)
I can't remember, weren't you supposed to leave that 500 with me for safe keeping, just checking! Have a great, safe trip!:rofl:

I can't remember, weren't you supposed to leave that 500 with me for safe keeping, just checking! Have a great, safe trip!:rofl:

Thanks Rob, I didn't realize just how many close friends I actually have. You are welcome to use it, if you can talk my wife out of it. That shouldn't be a problem. Key's in the ignition.

This evening I board a flight to Frankfurt. By tomorrow this time, I should be in Germany. It is an eleven hour flight, which isn't bad when your consider the first time I went to Germany, it took about two weeks on a ocean liner. If you want to know my location, here is my Spotwalla link.

Heidelberg is a lovely city. You can thank General Patton for not leveling it. Enjoy.

It's an old joke of US Army-Europe veterans that, no matter what time of year it is, Frankfurt is always 40 degrees and foggy. That's held true nearly every time I've passed through over the decades. Let us know if you happen to be there the day the sun is out.

Hello, this is Chuck checking in. I arrived in Ireland on May 13th and picked up my bike at Martin's. It had been serviced by a local mechanic friend of his and new tires were also added. The bike is in great shape and I've put close to 1,000 miles on it to date. My wife flew into Heathrow last Monday and we have been riding around the southwestern part of England. She will be leaving on Wednesday and I will head to Germany to meet with Joe. Although I can't work miracles, I'll try to keep Joe out of trouble. The only times he ended up paying traffic fines in South America was when he was off on his own for a few days.

Heidelberg is a lovely city. You can thank General Patton for not leveling it. Enjoy.

It's an old joke of US Army-Europe veterans that, no matter what time of year it is, Frankfurt is always 40 degrees and foggy. That's held true nearly every time I've passed through over the decades. Let us know if you happen to be there the day the sun is out.

Thanks Tim; I will let you know about the weather, although I am one who would most gladly trade 95 deg and muggy for 40 deg and foggy. Just looked up the weather and it's 70 deg and sunny right now in Frankfurt.

Hello, this is Chuck checking in. I arrived in Ireland on May 13th and picked up my bike at Martin's. It had been serviced by a local mechanic friend of his and new tires were also added. The bike is in great shape and I've put close to 1,000 miles on it to date. My wife flew into Heathrow last Monday and we have been riding around the southwestern part of England. She will be leaving on Wednesday and I will head to Germany to meet with Joe. Although I can't work miracles, I'll try to keep Joe out of trouble. The only times he ended up paying traffic fines in South America was when he was off on his own for a few days.

It's true, I do seem to get into trouble when I am enjoying myself. Unfortunately, Chuck can get himself into trouble whether he is with me or not. From being ticketed for speeding in Arizona, to receiving a performance award in Colorado and lucky not to be shot, for attempting to run. Neither of our records are spotless, but I think I have one to give. ;-)

I'm in Heidelberg today. Tired but happy to be here. I rejoin an old friend outside my place of abode for the next few days. They call me "Speed Eagle" .... ha, but I don't know why?

CCFMAlXZlodhW7sEDMPdXw5r7NrB3XV-tsY4n_YaQut7FXERkFvwcTxZkNtV-Tk8IAGCw2XeZDVK1xZF0d=w1151-h647-no.jpg

It's true, I do seem to get into trouble when I am enjoying myself. Unfortunately, Chuck can get himself into trouble whether he is with me or not. From being ticketed for speeding in Arizona, to receiving a performance award in Colorado and lucky not to be shot, for attempting to run. Neither of our records are spotless, but I think I have one to give. ;-)

I would never run from the police. I was coming down from a pass on a twisty mountain road and didn’t see him for quite a bit. Arizona was just a quirky situation.

I would never run from the police. I was coming down from a pass on a twisty mountain road and didn’t see him for quite a bit. Arizona was just a quirky situation.

You should not try to make excuses, it makes it worse. Just own up to your screw ups!

Of course you're right! But it wouldn't be normal if we were just getting along. Ask anyone that knows us. While waiting for Chuck, I walked up to the Heidelberg castle. I will try to get some pictures posted.

Last edited:
Back