• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

These Boots Aint made for Ridin

Hagrid

Reaction score
Alas, the boots originally purchased to supplement my Suzuki 850 in 1980 have fallen into disarray. They are marred by years of scooter service. The left indented by thousands of pokes at the gearshift on its dorsal aspect; the right painted with conspicuous blackened grease from contacting the chain while launching the center stand. Their weathered leather draws stares from the fashion conscious.

My search for a replacement has ended in failure. The original manufacturer “Red Wing” no longer makes this model. In fact all work boots seem to have changed to some extent. Even when not incorporating a steel toe, the forefoot of most boots round at a peak of two inches. Now this may not present a problem when riding a cruiser but when riding a sport model or the recently renamed “naked bikes” the clearance between foot peg and gearshift become compromised.

Guess its time to go for the slim forefoot provided by motorcycle specific boots.

What’s the favorite out there? Sidi??? I’m also concerned with walking comfort when reaching my destination.

Hagrid
Suzuki Bandit 1999
34,000 miles

Hagrid,

:tab I wear a pair of SIDI GT Sympatex boots. They have the drawstring up the front and a fold over flap to cover the drawstrings. They have about 80K miles on them right now. They are my daily wear even when not riding. Mine fit perfect and were comfortable right out of the box, zero break in required. I will be getting another pair when these wear out. So far my only issue is that am lazy and drag my heels when I walk so I am wearing out the soles. :-) I've worn them in torrential gulf coast frog stranglers and my feet have stayed dry. Got mine at Motoliberty in DFW for a very reasonable price which I cannot disclose ;-)

I too have a set of Sidi's, the Tepor Evos, that I like very much. Very comfortable, no break-in, and waterproof. My only comment would be that they aren't really made for hours of walking in, but who really cares about that. If your off your ride for hours you should change your boots.

Will problably replace them in a few years (already got three on them) and will either get the same or get a pair of Vertebra.

Good Luck

It's weird, I tried Sidis (OnRoad Sympatex) when I first shopped for moto-gear, and they were super tight on my admittedly wide feet.

So, I wound up getting Triumph Explorers. Had 'em two years now, they're waterproof and warm enough in the Texas winters (with correct sockage).

But then I tried on some Sidis a few months ago at the same place, and they fit wonderfully?!?!?!

Anyway, I'd like a little more ankle protection than the Triumphs provide, but they're pretty good.

and they were super tight on my admittedly wide feet.

That is interesting because I too have wide feet. It is one reason I have never been a big fan of boots. It also gave me fits when trying to find cleats for soccer when I was younger.

Adios,

Back