• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Vintage Norton - would you or wouldn't you?

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
A neighbor is a Norton restorer. He has a 1/2 dozen Nortons from the 50s, 60s and 70s in his little garage.

He has one on the lift now he is rehab-ing for a recently widowed lady.

He discovered these gouges in the swingarm when he removed the passenger peg.

NortonSwingArm_01.jpg

Looks like the one on the left was discovered early on and painted over. The one on the right aligned perfectly with a bracket mounting bolt.

It's deep ... maybe 3/16" deep and 5/16" wide. I would guess the tubing wall is 1/4" ... so not much meat left.

Ideally, replace the swingarm ... its a 75 Norton ... not bloody likely.

So I ask the TWTers ... would you weld it up, grind it smooth, reinforce the whole area with some flat and call it good? And if you did that, would you, after full disclosure of course, feel good enough to sell it like that?

On an unrelated note ... he's got a 66 Norton Scrambler that is flippin' mint.

Last edited:
weld it up! it is not cracked through and even if it was a properly applied weld can be stronger than the original metal.

Seems to be the consensus ... just double checking to make sure no one's life would at risk because of a failure.

Seems the best option is to TIG it to keep collateral heat to a minimum.

On another note, he's finishing up this little gem in order to sell it.

1955Triumph_01.jpg

Here ... please ... take all my money.

Back