• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

aluminum plate needed

SilverBullet

never slow down...you never grow old
Reaction score
I have a project and need a small plate of aluminum.
1/4" thick, 14" x 14"

Anybody have a piece laying around I could buy? Finish doesn't matter just needs to be flat (no diamond plate). Any places around I could purchase this at? I need it asap and willing to drive a ways to get it if necessary.

_

I don't know if its 1/4" but Northern tool has flat sheets of aluminum. a pretty generic display with different angle iron and bar stock to. Nothing fancy but smaller pieces like your 14" with, might be a bit larger.

Lowes & Home depot has some small selection to.

I don't know if its 1/4" but Northern tool has flat sheets of aluminum. ..
Lowes & Home depot has some small selection to.

Tried all 3 of those, nothing even close to the thickness I need.

Thanks. I called them and they do have it. Although seems a little pricier than I imagined it would be at $25. But bird in hand...so will probably order over the phone and go pick it up this afternoon if I don't get any other options.

_

Does it need to be that big in one piece? I have some drops from the machine shop that are about 4x8 out of 1/4 6061.

Tried all 3 of those, nothing even close to the thickness I need.

Thanks. I called them and they do have it. Although seems a little pricier than I imagined it would be at $25. But bird in hand...so will probably order over the phone and go pick it up this afternoon if I don't get any other options.

_

That is a pretty good price..
I buy a fair amount of steel and aluminum, some titanium, some tungsten.

All online except for the common steel stuff then get at a local supplier.
The Al price you got is very competitive from what I have seen lately.

Unless you get a drop and they are selling it as scrap value. I do get some great drop deals buying online as well... Boeing and several manufactures have online sales venues that allow you to buy by the piece, or container full.

Luggage plate on my 950 is 1/8 diamond plate , 20 by 16 . I made it from scraps 9 years ago for a one time trip . It probly got over 50 k miles on it now . 1/4 is over kill . SEYA

Luggage plate on my 950 is 1/8 diamond plate , 20 by 16 . I made it from scraps 9 years ago for a one time trip . It probly got over 50 k miles on it now . 1/4 is over kill . SEYA

Update - I did purchase from Metals Supermarket link that mitchntx provided, thanks. I recommend these guys as very easy to do business with. Place order over the phone, pay with cc and then my piece was cut and ready by the time I arrived, no waiting.

Piece I needed was not for a luggage plate as agree that would be overkill. This is for a easy on/off rack plate that will bolt to my luggage plate. Plate will have RotoPax mount bolted to it direct with two bolts only hence needing the extra strength especially since bolts will be countersunk reducing metal thickness and strength. Weight of mount, extension and two 1.75+ gallon full containers will be 40 lbs so that is a lot of weight on two bolts bouncing around offroad.

So that had me even concerned with 1/4" so I did actually overkill this. MS doesn't carry 3/8" Al plate so I went with 1/2" instead. Man what a chunk of metal but what's an extra 5 lbs on an already overweight 600+ lb dirt bike?

20150410_135101_zpswxgy6gqd.jpg

20150410_135038_zpsn8p4162q.jpg

_

Nice looking piece ...

MSM isn't the cheapest place, but when you need it, you need it and they have a HUGE selection.
In Ft. Worth store, the counter guys let me sort through their scrap bin and buy it at 10% over scrap spot, as I recall. But I had to ask ...

Back