• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

i-kbHxNHj-L.jpg

Member dmux here on the forum lives over there by College Station and Huntsville and would like to get together with other tire skillz practicers for a possible tire tech day at his place or nearby if anyone wants to stand up and lead that.

My new tool arived today along with a new rear tire for my KTM. This thing is silly easy. I was laughing at how easy it was the pop on my new tire. It's a keeper.

I met lowrider Friday night to pick up some of the Camel tire lubricant that he bought and he offered his new Baja No Pinch to try out. So yesterday I put it to the test.

First though I have to say that Camel lubricant is da bomb! Beer is on me next time JT as I owe ya big time now. I could not believe how much better it works than my usual Windex at home or trailside soapy water or WD-40. I used it only on the install but next tire change will dilute a little and use it to dismount the tire also as suggested.

BNP is high quality and a nice looking tool. lowrider gave me a 1 minute review and he hadn't read any instructions himself. So straight forward I didn't look further for use instructions either.

Tire was a 150/70-17 tubeless on a spoked rim. Street radial tires this size or super stiff sidewall Heindeau, Mitas, etc. tires can be a real bear to spoon on. But tire I mounted was a Shinko 805 big block with a softer sidewall. Last one I mounted wasn't too bad.

Using BNP was almost too easy! Hardest part (but not hard) was keeping the bead already pushed over down because of that slippery Camel lubricant. If I ever use the BNP again I will probably not use any lubricant.

But overall assessment for me is not recommended to buy due to the limited scope of the tool. You can't use it to break the bead, you can't use it to remove your old tire and it is not needed for getting the first bead of your new tire over the rim. It does get the second bead over the rim super easy but that is it. Priced high at $150 and the hassle of having to get out another tool when you have your tire spoons already by your side from removing the tire makes this a no sale for me. Especially now since I've been turned on to the Camel lubricant, even the stiffest tire will be 50% easier to mount. That stuff is a must buy IMO.

_

But overall assessment for me is not recommended to buy due to the limited scope of the tool. You can't use it to break the bead, you can't use it to remove your old tire and it is not needed for getting the first bead of your new tire over the rim. It does get the second bead over the rim super easy but that is it. Priced high at $150 and the hassle of having to get out another tool when you have your tire spoons already by your side from removing the tire makes this a no sale for me. Especially now since I've been turned on to the Camel lubricant, even the stiffest tire will be 50% easier to mount. That stuff is a must buy IMO.

_

Good to know. The single use feature has been my dilemma with this tool. I just can’t see adding another tool to my bag unless it replaces something .

Good to know. The single use feature has been my dilemma with this tool. I just can’t see adding another tool to my bag unless it replaces something .

I should have also stated in my review for those that don't know me I can be an excessive cheapskate. I scrutinize purchases harder than most although I will spend big bucks for things on occasion that I deem a value and warrant it.

Tire related note. I saw a set of these for the first time last weekend and giving them some serious consideration. Dirt bike and dual sport tire beads are no biggie but man these tubeless adventure tires are really tough to break the bead. If a tire cut was too big for a plug and go I don't think I could break the bead to patch from the inside unless there was another bike present to use the kickstand method.

I know they are worth it also because it was a KLR rider that had them. I have KLR mentality when it comes to gauging value and usefulness of things.

Motion Pro BeadPRO aluminum version if weight is a priority

cheaper Forged Steel version if weight is not

_

Last edited:
Now that fits my criteria of replacing something as it has tire irons on the other end. The BajaNoPinch could also add irons on the ends of the two pieces and possibly attract me.

I admit, I'm a sucker for tools and junk. This is how I justify it. It cost nearly as much to fill up my Dodge Cummins with fuel as the tool. Sold.

Glad the tire goo worked well for you, and if anyone wants a little container for their needs, I got more than I will ever need. Plus the tool is in Houston if anyone wants to try it out. I won't need it for a while, I hope. I got all new rubber on both bikes now.

I should have also stated in my review for those that don't know me I can be an excessive cheapskate. _

I just think of you as exceedingly thrifty.:rofl:

A few of thoughts:

I'll likely end up with the Baja No Pinch, but use it on my tubeless tires and the Triumph to save the rims.

Consider only lubricating half of the tire when installed spooning it on and use the unlubricated area to keep the tire fixed on the rim. I seem to be alone in this plan, but it saves me from carrying a Bead Buddy. Also I'm still using Soft Soap since I can't wash my hands with tire lube. Of course, when I'm home I'll use most any tool that is handy.

Finally, breaking the bead on a tubeless tire takes little more than a few of pieces of 2x4 and a bumper.

m

Member dmux here on the forum lives over there by College Station and Huntsville and would like to get together with other tire skillz practicers for a possible tire tech day at his place or nearby if anyone wants to stand up and lead that.

I'm tied up for the next six weeks. If he's still interested I might be able to do it later in the summer.

...A few of thoughts:
I'll likely end up with the Baja No Pinch, but use it on my tubeless tires and the Triumph to save the rims...

There again I typically don't mark the rims installing a tire, it is taking the old tire off that it happens mostly. Two dry beads to remove with tire irons whereas installing is only one bead and can be better lubed.

But really I'm immune to worrying about rims. The harder I try not to scratch it seems the more scars I put on them. A no care attitude, take better bites with the irons and less damage results. The worst damage I have ever done was trying to use a couple of rim protectors. One slipped and the other slit open so I threw them in the trash and never looked back.

_

But really I'm immune to worrying about rims. The harder I try not to scratch it seems the more scars I put on them. A no care attitude, take better bites with the irons and less damage results. The worst damage I have ever done was trying to use a couple of rim protectors. One slipped and the other slit open so I threw them in the trash and never looked back.

_

+1

I gave up long ago and have considered the finish on rims with the same regard I give to preserving those little nibs on the tire left over from the molding process. :lol2:

This [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIUOMY/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1435867931&sr=1&keywords=camel+tire+mount+lube"]stuff[/ame] is awesome! :hail: :hail: :hail:

I just changed both tires (and tubes) on my GL1000 in less than an hour using this stuff and 2 cheap Motion Pro tire irons.

I found this thread from a Ride Report link on ADVRider talking about the Mexico trip. :clap:

Thank you!
:hail:

312EsuGbwOL.jpg

This stuf works very well. This is the generic tire lube that commercial tire shops use. Comes in an 8lb bucket, $18, a lifetime supply for you and all your buds. Straight from the bucket it is like jello, smear it on the bead uncut for mounting. I keep an old Ibuprofen bottle full of the gel with the bike tools. Mix a little with water in a tiny squirt bottle and squirt it on the rim for dismounting.

Also, if you are trying to mount a tubless tire and having trouble getting the bead to seat enough to inflate, loosely pack the gap between the tire and the rim with the gel. Smear it on thick enough that it fills the gap. When you apply the hose and the tire starts to fill, almost all of the gel will be pushed out on the sidewall. Just scoop it up and put it back in the bucket.

http://www.amazon.com/Camel-Tire-12095-Lubricant-8Lbs/dp/B000CIUOMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429890738&sr=1-1&keywords=tire+mounting

1st BNPTT Experience

Nor do I ... but I ordered one a couple of hours ago. You guys are good salesmen and should probably be getting a kickback/commission from BNP. :trust:

Rcvd the BNPTT before the Baja run, no need to test it there as ADVRider Inmate bananaman crashed out while pre-running w/only ~150mi on a new set of Big Blocks, and what with repairing the bike at the motel after the crash I had no chance to ride in Baja.

But I did get a chance to test the BNPTT on Thursday after BJ when ADVRider Inmate Reximus from SD and his next-door neighbor, Travis, set up a ride for me - just above Jacumba Hot Springs off Old Hwy 80 (~10mi from where Checkpoint-1 was setup for the 500).

Reximus needed a new front tire and I had a bunch in the truckbed. He had his old tire off when I got to his house and we fitted a new Kenda Big Block using my MRP Tire Change Stand and the BNPTT.

Conclusion: the "rack" part of the BNPTT is about an inch too short when working a 21" tire/wheel. It jammed at the end of travel several times and fed completely thru the "pinion" once. I have a nicely split knuckle as a result of that and christened the new tire with crimson.

So, great idea but a tad short on execution for 21 inchers. Probably OK on anything smaller, I'll find out tomorrow fixing the pinch flat on the fat 17" rear wheel off the SMC, noting in advance that that Mitas E07 is a very stiff, thick-sidewalled booger and may be a handful even with the BNPTT. We'll see how that goes and I'll report further after the 2nd use.

Attachments

• Checkpoint-1 @ Baja500, 2015.JPG
    Checkpoint-1 @ Baja500, 2015.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Travis & me, above Wind Farm.JPG
    Travis & me, above Wind Farm.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 207
Re: 1st BNPTT Experience

Conclusion: the "rack" part of the BNPTT is about an inch too short when working a 21" tire/wheel. It jammed at the end of travel several times and fed completely thru the "pinion" once.

You're supposed to adjust the space inside the pinion area by threading the shaft of the tool up or down to avoid those issues. Not too loose, not too tight.

I've had zero problems like what you describe on 21" wheels.

So, you were with Max out there? :clap: :lol2:

To your following post, not taking time to read the instructions was likely my problem. Rex and Travis and I were in a hurry to get to Jacumba Hot Springs and :rider: so, y'know, I just forged ahead like I knew what I was doing. OUCH! The BNPTT really is a nice piece - I might almost say pretty - and I'm sure a couple more uses, not in a rush, and I'll have it down to a science.

[Way off-topic but] Yup, and if he recovers sufficiently from playing lawn darts with his left shoulder down near Erendira we'll be back for the 1000 in November. Reservations at "our" motel already made. :mrgreen:

The whole ongoing story is in his thread on ADVRider Don't try to stop me from bananamanning the Baja 1000!

"The" e-mail that I rcvd after taking Max's bud, Dr. Chuck, to the bus station that sent me scrambling South where I blew out the front shocks on the truck looking for him on the race course:
From: yurina cardenas <cardenashuyu_29@hotmail.com> [Edit Address Book]
To: mei760~~~~~
Subject:
Date: May 31, 2015 4:25 PM
Hola.soy Max tube un accidente enla.moto.y me desloque.el.brazo estoy en.erendira esperando.ala.moto.voy a ir hasta ensenada cn.la.policia

I'll build a little RR or Day Tripping thread to summarize and post pics. Max is a Wild Man and tougher'n nails.

[/off-topic]

not taking time to read the instructions was likely my problem.

:dude:

Rex and Travis and I were in a hurry to get to Jacumba Hot Springs and :rider: so, y'know, I just forged ahead like I knew what I was doing. OUCH! The BNPTT really is a nice piece - I might almost say pretty - and I'm sure a couple more uses, not in a rush, and I'll have it down to a science.

I'm glad you posted this. There are some (easy to learn) nuances that provide a wide gulf between ease of use and potential frustration. The How To video(s) are priceless.

:dude:

I'm glad you posted this. There are some (easy to learn) nuances that provide a wide gulf between ease of use and potential frustration. The How To video(s) are priceless.

I watched once before messing up but probably wasn't paying adequate attention, as usual. I'll watch again before tackling that Mitas E07 monster. The BNPTT is almost worth the price just to look at and fondle. :rofl: I love tools!

[Sorta off-topic, sorta not]

Re prepping tires so that maybe you do not have to effect repair on the ground, in the rain, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere.

Sal Hernandez, Parts Dude at GP Motorcycles in San Diego, was a wealth of knowledge for bananaman and me as we were getting ready to go South to Ensenada. If I got it right, he's won the Baja500 five times so he knows what he's talking about, and he's from Ensenada so he knows the country. Some of it is R O U G H and there are pointy things all over! (Sounds a lot like a lot of TX, huh?)

His advice, and he oversaw the shop prepping our tires this way, is:

1: Use Ultra HD tubes,

2: (and this is the "trick") Carefully cut the inner circumference from a set of old tubes, leaving maybe a 1" gap (where the stem used to be) and wrap the new tubes with the old, opened-up ones.

3: Shoot the new tube full (not full, you know what I mean, recommended amount is 8oz for moto tires) of Slime.

Also, he said my choice of Dunlop D606's and Max's choice of Kenda Big Blocks (which we mounted for pre-running), while both might be right for other bikes or other venues, were both wrong for Baja on the 500EXC, feather-light as it is. His choice, and I bought a set to install the night before Race Day, were Pirelli AT81 90/90-21 Front and MXEXTRA X 120/100-18 Rear, a tad over $100 each but, considering we (between us) were already into it for a buncha bucks, what was a few Pesos more!

Max also had pockets full of names and phone numbers for contacts all over Baja in case of trouble.

Sal Hernandez :bow::bow::bow:

I've read the Tire Academy thread since it began. I realized I was "that guy" when I had a flat on my KLR riding with Agman. He ended up hauling it back to my house in his trailer. I now have the tools and tubes on the KLR. I have fixed tube flats at my house. I wasn't fast but got it done, thanks to Tricepilot.

Someone recommended the Safe-T-Seal plug kit and I bought one. I've been carrying it on my tubeless tire bikes. Yesterday I was about 5 miles from my house on Hwy 84 running up my Tenere to 75 mph when the tail end started fishtailing. I pulled over ASAP into a place I could work on it. The tire was very hot. I may have been riding on a flat. With a large Safe-T-Seal plug I was able to ride home. My next farkle is an electric air pump. The little bicycle pump got hot and it was tedious filling the tire.

I'm also ready to invest in tire pressure monitoring devices. I need some advice on them, which one to buy, how reliable they are, how well they work. Thanks.

Last edited:
There is a dirt bike technique where you spoon the tire off on one side, flip it over and spoon it off on the other so the rim is in the inside of the tire. Then it is a simple step to pull the rim through the center.

I tried that yesterday on a 18" Z6 Roadtec tubeless tire and I'm here to share that it doesn't work so well on low profile tubeless tires.

A trick for breaking the bead on a tubeless tire is to take a piece of scrap wood, a 2x4 and a car bumper. An example is at 4 minutes in on this video. Note that the first several minutes are a waste of time in the woodshop. I used a 6x6 piece of beadboard scrap and it worked just fine without any beveling.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XArpY_hSdk"]Minimalist Tubeless Motorcycle Tire Change Part I - YouTube[/ame]

There is a dirt bike technique where you spoon the tire off on one side, flip it over and spoon it off on the other so the rim is in the inside of the tire. Then it is a simple step to pull the rim through the center.

I tried that yesterday on a 18" Z6 Roadtec tubeless tire and I'm here to share that it doesn't work so well on low profile tubeless tires...

I've seen two gorilla's make that method work for low profile street/adv sizes but for someone working solo it is not practical to attempt. I've done it but takes more time, effort and elbow grease than standard methods. More opportunity to damage rim and rotors during your struggles also.

_

Back