• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Incredible jump!!

The application of brake and/or gas to make adjustments to his pitch angle during the "flight" was impressive.
I saw at least two or three discrete adjustments to his pitch angle before landing.

That's not flying. That's jumping . . . with style!

He's adjusting his pitch angle with his body, not his brake or throttle. Nothing up there for the brake or throttle to work against. Now, he wants to be on the throttle and not on the brakes when he lands, of course . . . :eek2:

He's adjusting his pitch angle with his body, not his brake or throttle. Nothing up there for the brake or throttle to work against. Now, he wants to be on the throttle and not on the brakes when he lands, of course . . . :eek2:
Not correct, there's lots to work against and the riders do it all the time. The spinning forces of the wheel adjust the angle of attack as they fly through the air and can even be accomplished on short jumps.

http://www.motocross-racing-tips.com/dirt_bike_jumps.html

My bad. I stand (or sit) corrected. I can see that the rider can adjust the pitch angle through the centrifigul forces of the rear wheel--spinning faster under power to raise the front or slowing down to lower it. Which isn't working against the air, but accomplishes the same thing.

Yea, and even for a noob jumper like myself, it's pretty cool when you can pull it off. Not a lot of time when you are only going a short distance, but you can feel it for sure. I saw a vid a while back where a guy was doing a long jump and he was sailing through the air, and right at the end you see the front end just dive right down so he's at the perfect angle for the ramp. It's crazy to think you can have that kind of control. Well, he can, I'll never have that kind of control simply because I don't have the big brass ones to handle a big jump.

Yep, Madison is the current King of BIG Air!
Although... you could always resort to doing nothing! Letting nature (or physics as I learned later) take it's course!
Can I suggest that there is a certain artistic bravery in that course of action? That's how Evel did it and that's happened when I tried it!
There was no youtube how-to video or internet forum back then. lol !
We did (or tried) what we saw our heros do! With "the Thrill of Victory, or the Agony of Defeat" teatering in the balance! The thrill was Soooo worth it back then!
I Can't say how I know all of that, but the old polaroid photo are evidence and the memories are "Hi-Larry-Us" :rofl:
Maybe some day I'll have to scan and share some of those with ya'll.

Can I get an Amen brothas n sistas?:clap:

Back