• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 300EXC Street Legal Project

Nice work! The connections look great and detailed to keep the trash out of them. If you notice it wiggling around after a while then you might upgrade to the carrier bolts. The 300 will vibe a lot more than an old XR, but will likely take a while to fail if its going to.

Viva plated KTM 300s!!

I have converted a couple. Nice to have the plate, even riding close to home at the Sam Houston Nat Forest, can hop on roads to connect trails and never get hassled. I have ridden all over Katy on streets and never been pulled over for a roadside inspection (knock on wood).. even with race numbers on the plates.

A service manager told me that if the bike was not originally sold with blinkers, then they are not required to be DOT legal. But if it came with blinkers, then you must run them. Insane I know. So on the 4 or 5 bikes I have converted to street titles, I never put blinkers on them. I tape an air horn to the handlebars, and you need 1 mirror. My inspection location does sometimes check for DOT tires. Add the hi/lo headlight, functioning brake light. Technically you do need the license plate light. Some of the tail lights have a built in clear section to cover this. I think the 2010-2014 euro model KTM tail lights have that clear built in. Baja Designs sells the euro models. I think they are 90 bucks though. No soldering required, plugs in.

Good luck with the street 300 ! Nice thread.

Nate

Thanks - I jumped back on the project today (and installed a Steahly flywheel). If I can get by the inspection place in the morning I'll have crossed that hurdle at least.

Thanks - I jumped back on the project today (and installed a Steahly flywheel). If I can get by the inspection place in the morning I'll have crossed that hurdle at least.

Philip, you're making more progress than I am. I just got my "off hwy use" title from the state. Time to add some lights. :mrgreen:

Not a 300 but Nate is right about nice being plated . Nate this is the bike I put the handle bar/riser/damper mount on that bought from you. It didn't take but a couple rides to figure out it put my bars up way too high :lol2:

ktm_zpsfi9ub9xp.jpg

Horn. Go get a Bell bicycle squeeze horn and clip it to the handlebars the day of the inspection. Unclip and store it when inspection complete.

Back