• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

please explain

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Muxworthy
Anyone have any idea how one can get a hole in the front on my gas tank ?
20170124_180021_zpse5tg0ub6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is in the front close to the triple clamp. I have a hard time believing I kicked something up off the road & then pinched it between my tank & riser. ? Quen Sabe
#€£%÷÷/*
But I will believe my luggage key can get wedged in there and puncture the tank .......
Great .....
20170124_182922_zpsxwuedhvd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Yep looks like you found your answer. So the options are, pull the tank have it welded body worked primed and painted, miracle putty and a dab of touch up or replace the tank

I guess the other option is to just not fill all the way up anymore and rest easy knowing a clogged tank vent or vapor lock will never stop you

One more reason I don't like a bunch of stuff attached to my keys. That sucks, wonder what the odds were of that kind of thing happening. Gotta admit, you had me scratching my head on that first shot.

Put a sheet metal screw in it with a dab of oil resistant rtv and the rubber backed washer. At least til you get it fixed right.

I was thinking maybe you took the bike to a dealer to have it worked on :lol2:

Put a sheet metal screw in it with a dab of oil resistant rtv and the rubber backed washer. At least til you get it fixed right.

I was thinking a dab of that gas tank repair putty on the key. It should be a perfect fit in the hole! :lol2:

Looks more like a bullet hole to me , in order to wedge something between the front forks and tank to puncture it you would have to be turning with extream force which I don't think you could do if you tried . It could put a dent in it but no way would it puncture it unless your tank was tin foil . look for another hidden dent lining up with the visible one or something rattling around in the tank after draining and removal .

For those amused by this.... I drained what gas was left. Covered the breach that is exactly the size of the tip of a SW Motec hard luggage case key, prepped a small dime sized area around the breach and used JB Weld "SteelStik" a dime sized piece bonded & sealed the breach in an hour.

This is good stuff to have.....twice I've used it to stop the bleeding on a bike & it'll get you home ?
http://www.jbweld.com/products/steelstik-epoxy-putty-stick

:tab Oh yeah, the JB stick stuff is awesome! I have repaired some nasty holes with it. One was in the head cover on my 1150 GS after a bad high side. That was still on there after about 18K miles the last I saw of the bike. I also repaired the case cover on a DRZ400 that smacked a rock during a creek crossing. That hole was bigger than a silver dollar!! I just made a pancake about 1/4" thick and pressed it over the whole after we cleaned out the pieces and cleaned the surface of the case. After it set, we added oil and the rider rode it back to Austin from Junction without any issues.

I always carry JB stick on my dirt bike, we have used it to patch up holes in radiators many times, the stuff works great.. Should be perfect for your tank.

Gary

Back