• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Larger Front tire for Kawasaki 800

h2000fb

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Ramsey
My son has a Kawasaki 800A with the skinny front tire. He is looking to change it out to the larger front tire from a classic.

So, here are a few questions:

* Anyone know where we might find one of these along with the correct spacers for the installation?

* Do you know if the existing rotor and calipers will still work?

I guess we can try to find parts manuals for both of these and try to compare part numbers.

Lastly, how big of rear tire can one use on the 800A Vulcan before it rubs?

Check out Scootworks.com
Those guys do custom work with metric bikes of all sizes and sometimes have takeoff OE parts to sell.

Otherwise, find a Vulcan bike forum. It's highly likely someone has already done the exact mod you're thinking of.

Thanks, will give that a try.

Are there any salvage yard it the DFW area my son might check with for parts?

what year model? gotta give more than the bare basic that it is a kawasaki 800

what year model? gotta give more than the bare basic that it is a kawasaki 800

Sorry about that. It is a 2002 Vulcan 800a.
That is the skinny front wheel model. I am thinking the wheel from a classic will fit with the correct spacers, but again I am not certain.

i have a 04 800B classic that has the 130x90-16 if i remember correct the forks are different than on the "A" but you may be able to make the wheel fit with correct spacers but may mess up the geometry of the bike don't know that for a fact.
They also had a 750 Vulcan with a 100/90-19 front wheel might look at that.

Aaron

oh yes, going from a skinny 21 to a fat 16 is going to drop the front end big time, limited ground clearance will be a lot less.

the spoke count is the same but hubs, axles, forks and triple tree are all different. if there is enough clearance you might be able to lace up the fat rim to the skinny hub but I would not want to bet on that working.
the easy way would to be a full front end swap.

It becoming apparent much more research is in order concerning both size and fitment. :ponder:

I am not certain he is looking for a particular size as his much as the larger wheel off a classic with thought or assumption it would interchange rather easily with his.

Think I will have to look at what front wheel may have come on a classic and post the size along with trying to do a little research myself to help him along. :trust:

the way i look at that stuff you can make anything work depending on how deep your pockets are that being said if he going to make a custom that go for it.

Aaron

the way i look at that stuff you can make anything work depending on how deep your pockets are that being said if he going to make a custom that go for it.

Aaron

He wants to convert it to a bobber using a hinged leather solo seat with springs, a bobbed rear fender, fat front tire, wrapped pipes, but keep it very nice using old style tires.

We will see. It has be deposited at my house so the project has moved some.

Back