• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chicken Fried Steak Day Challenge

Reaction score
I just learned today is an official holiday—CFS Day.

Just for fun, how many can ride their bike to an establishment offering what is possibly the national dish of Texas?

I could have cfs for lunch sans bike or i could wait and ride this evening...

Post pix!

Maybe with a little planning, we can make this an annual event.

C’mon, Drew, I bet you are all over this!

The Texaz Grill is the "go to" place in Arizona for CFS and today is all you can eat for $18. That doesn't do me any good because I'm lucky if I can put away a single one by myself.

http://texazgrill.com/

They have served almost a million CFS since they opened in 1985.

CFS Served 926690

Calling Kickstand-Prophet. Drew is the self-proclaimed connoisseur of chicken fried steak on this forum.

Work ended late today, so instead of riding, I picked up my mom and we enjoyed some cfs at Billie Gene’s.

727758eccc70ca61c22a397baf7b7313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG :eek2::eek2::eek2:
Seriously ??? :loco::loco::loco:

CFS should not be celebrated but, buried into the deepest hole one can find and its creators need to be jailed for life for assulting us and our taste buds with terrible cuisine as well.

In a state renowned for the quality of its meat, its not ok to distroy a choice cut of meat by “tenderizing” it into some unrecognizable lump, then breading it and finally frying the whole remaining mess.

Sorry y’all, I’ll take my stake very rare, slow grilled on an open and very slow cooking mesquite flame with just a light sprinkling of salt, if no one minds.

Lol, rdslvr, you misunderstand the history!

Cfs was a way to use a cheap, tough cut of meat and turn it into something delicious. One does not tenderize, bread and fry a a good steak!

It’s truly hard to find a good, traditional cfs. One fried in a skillet (not a deep fat fryer) and a good roux made from the pan drippings as a base for the gravy....

My mom made excellent cfs back in the day....

Last Monday, I was enjoying a couple of days in Arkansas, and spent the night in Waldron. I popped into an unpretentious little place called the Charbroiler Restaurant for dinner and ordered a CFS. The waitress asked, did I want the lunch or dinner portion? I wisely chose the lunch portion. They brought me this beast that was 6" long, and fully an inch thick. I looked at it incredulously and asked, "Wow, how big is the dinner meal?" She said, "Really big; that's why I asked." I paid under $9 (plus tip) for the meal in the picture.

26190693089_db9c0c5beb_c.jpg
thumbnail by Tim Shelfer, on Flickr

Cfs was a way to use a cheap, tough cut of meat and turn it into something delicious. One does not tenderize, bread and fry a a good steak!

LoL S@B, say what you will and my Scottish wife will probably hate me for saying this but, CFS is yet another example of how really bad Northern European cuisine has poluted our collective taste palet. :duck:

You still owe me a CFS trip to Oklahoma, Drew. I'm not forgetting, no sirree.

Lol, rdslvr, you misunderstand the history!

It’s truly hard to find a good, traditional cfs. One fried in a skillet (not a deep fat fryer) and a good roux made from the pan drippings as a base for the gravy....

My mom made excellent cfs back in the day....

Add flank steak to that as well. Everybody likes fajitas.

I grew up cash-challenged, if not exactly poor. My dad was an Army sergeant. If it was cheap, we ate it, so all those "cheap" cuts were simply life in the early 60s. Speaking of which, brisket used to be considered a cheap roast. And by the way, this Texan and my Texas wife put beans in our chili; we both grew up that way because beans were a way of stretching a pot of chili.

I grew up cash-challenged, if not exactly poor. My dad was an Army sergeant. If it was cheap, we ate it, so all those "cheap" cuts were simply life in the early 60s. Speaking of which, brisket used to be considered a cheap roast. And by the way, this Texan and my Texas wife put beans in our chili; we both grew up that way because beans were a way of stretching a pot of chili.

Truth!

When I was growing up, the CFS at our house usually came from something we shot in the pasture. Back strap:eat: mm mm good.... I'm hungry.

Add flank steak to that as well. Everybody likes fajitas.

Darn skippy they do. Fajitas are awesome. Its not the cut of meat but, how its prepared. Fajitas look, cook and eat just like stake, that’s why Fajitas just work. CFS, just like toothpaste filled dark chocolate i.e. York Peppermints and Aftereights are not just a very bad idea but, yet another example of really bad cooking once again.

Bringing back a zombie thread, because, why not? Start planning now, lol!

National Chicken Fried Steak Day – October 26, 2022

Bringing back a zombie thread, because, why not? Start planning now, lol!

National Chicken Fried Steak Day – October 26, 2022​

I had no idea this day existed. I'm glad you brought this back up. Well, this year, October 26th is on a Wednesday so maybe around that time I'll take the day off work and make it a slacker ride day.

Mary’s Cafe at Strawn comes to mind........mmmmm
We were impressed by the amount of CFS Mary’s serves but not by the flavor. Was a bummer because it was viewed as a pilgrimage up to the point we actually started eating. To each his own though!

I dont need a "once a year" pilgramage to get good CFS....justa short drive/ride to Golinda Country Store....or Oscar Store

Matter o fact....I think todays a good day

EDIT:
Then again...theres Millers Country Mkt jus down the road in Lott.
I had a special chik salad on jal chez bread w hot peppr chez...tater salad....ham n bean soup & a Dublin lem lime soda....all for $10

& ..I bought anuther $20 in stuff to take home.

Last edited:
The Rocket Cafe in Rocket (north of Waxahachie) used to be a good one, but I haven't been in YEARS. Don't do a lot of "fried" anymore...

Back