• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kinda wish I had a car.

Reaction score
It's 9 miles from my house to work. It's 26 degrees outside right now.

It's nice and warm inside my house. On US69 at 70mph it won't be.

Well, if those guys in Minnesota can be car-free, so can I!

One thing that really helps me is a silk aviator's scarf. I can get three good wraps to seal off the the cold from entering into the top of my 'Stich, while also covering my mouth and chin. If I can keep my neck warm, my body somehow stays warmer.

Oh , and thank goodness for heated grips! How did I live so long without 'em?

Hang in there - one less car every day.

Dave.

It was 24F here this morning for my commute. The VFR does a great job of protecting me from the wind and the Fieldsheer Highland suit kept me nice and comfortable. We have a Dodge Ram 1500 (wife drives) and 2 bikes (VFR and GS500), so I'm on the bike everyday, too. I'm watching Wednesday and Thursday's forecast closely, though as I draw the line at ice and 2 wheels.

I haven't suited up in my coldest coldest weather gear yet. Wednesday's sleet may change that.

The sleet won't stick to the roads. The temperatures have to never rise above freezing for several days in order for the road surface to become cold enough for precipitation to stick.

Bridges are another matter !!!

wczimmerman said:
It was 24F here this morning for my commute. The VFR does a great job of protecting me from the wind and the Fieldsheer Highland suit kept me nice and comfortable. We have a Dodge Ram 1500 (wife drives) and 2 bikes (VFR and GS500), so I'm on the bike everyday, too. I'm watching Wednesday and Thursday's forecast closely, though as I draw the line at ice and 2 wheels.

You've still got time to buy a set of spiked ice tires...
;-)

Electric vests are well worth the cost. I've had mine for quite a few years now and it's still keeping me warm. It's an off brand a Canadian friend sent me. Cost to me Canadian exchange was about 60 bucks. Man, that thing is NICE!

txmedic said:
There is no bad weather; only bad gear. 8-)

:hail:

I can't tell you how many people ask me how misreable I am when I come into work on a day like today.....I tell them that a cold wet day on a bike is better than a perfect day in a car....and they just don't get it....I then tell them it's all about the gear....

and this new Belstaf stuff kicks [expletive removed]!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the heated gear. A full heated jacket (not just a vest) makes 30 degrees comfortable. Not too terribly expensive and its pretty easy to hook up.

Nic

The vest is all I need for 20 degrees on the Wing, but it's good to at least freezing on the SV. The key is keeping your core body temp up. That way, the body circulates warm blood to the extremities. If your core body temp starts dropping, the body shuts down circulation to hands and feet to keep your body temp from dropping so much. I don't need no heated gloves, socks, pants, whatever with the vest. I don't wanna go crazy and have to recharge my battery when I get to the shop cause the stator can't keep up. :lol: That Wing is notorious for its weak stator. But, it has a built in foot and leg warmer. :lol:

I have a 30 year old Tourmaster riding suit. A pair of hollowcore fiber isulation gloves by Yamaha (20 years old?) Layering is the trick that works best. It is what I have used for the last 35 years.On those freezing and below I get out the insulated hiking boots. This morning my toes got cold about the time I got to work. (30 minutes) Need to install my hand guards for wind protection. I left the bike outside and she was a bit cranky about getting warmed up. No defroster for the windscreen, I think its broke:lol: The vents keep blowing cold air so I guess the heater is on the fritz too. Tonight she gets a warm spot in the garage! If I was going to do extended rides in the cold, I would get grips and a vest, grips first as I have a down vest that works great. Save all the electrical outlets for the wifes suit. But not to worry, she is not much of a cold weather rider.

My trip to work is wimpy compared to you guys. On the other hand, I don't have a windscreen. I use a Turtle Fur neck thingy. It is probably inadequate for long commutes in really cold weather, but I find it is all I need. I figure if I need more I will try my neoprene scuba hood.

Ice is the only good excuse for leaving the bike at home. It's not like it stays in the 20's for more than a couple of hours out of the year.

I'm just sorry that I missed out on all the fall riding weather. When my bike went into the shop, it was still 90+ outside. This morning was the first time I could ride to class in months. Quite a change.

I need to make putting on and taking off the gear more convienient. I need an Aerostich riding suit because you can just step into it and zip it up. You're covered neck-to-ankle in less than 30 seconds. They are waterproof, windproof, and armored.

Problem is, those rascals cost $727! Grrrr.

The other problem is that I'm wearing out my expensive bike. I'm thinking about buying Ninja 250 for commuting. I could use them up and throw them away every 2 years. I could save my expensive bike for pleasure riding.

Just get another KLR John ;-) Just be more careful about draining the oil this time :-P

Back