• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red River Saturday 2/9 Ride Report

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Jennings
Re: Red River Saturday 2/9

Good meeting y'all today. Sorry we never hooked up for a ride. Now I need a sticker for my bike that says I've been ridden by Squeaky.

Chris, thanks for helping me drain all the water out of my bike. It actually fired up a short time after that. I did quite a few kicks with it while the ignition button was off, and then when I felt compression was where it was supposed to be, I clicked her on and it fired up with a little help from the choke.

Tomorrow, I'm going to pull the subframe off, hose out the airbox, and let it dry, oh yeah, and change the oil. Then my buddy whose a Yammie mechanic told me to fog the cylinder with oil from the spark plug hole just to make sure that it doesn't start to rust things up in there.

I can't wait for Squeaker to post up the pics of it when she gets to Chris' house.

Chris, thanks for helping me drain all the water out of my bike. It actually fired up a short time after that. I did quite a few kicks with it while the ignition button was off, and then when I felt compression was where it was supposed to be, I clicked her on and it fired up with a little help from the choke.

Tomorrow, I'm going to pull the subframe off, hose out the airbox, and let it dry, oh yeah, and change the oil. Then my buddy whose a Yammie mechanic told me to fog the cylinder with oil from the spark plug hole just to make sure that it doesn't start to rust things up in there.

I can't wait for Squeaker to post up the pics of it when she gets to Chris' house.

There is gotta be a story here so let's have it.:) :popcorn:

There is gotta be a story here so let's have it.:) :popcorn:

Well... long story short... I should have went left, but instead I went right. Then the next thing I knew, water was coming up over the front fender and number plate and then it all went downhill from there. But trust me, the pics tell the whole story. I think once she posts them up I might just have a new avatar.

I ended up going too but I arrived late,I think it was noon or so. It was my first time trying the dirt and didn't go well. First, my bike is too big to handle there, the trail was hard, too much sand and everything. Plus not having the right gear, I ended up leaving after 30 mins or so. And of course I went down twice in that short period of time. Nothing serious very very low speed on sand.

Sorry about not meeting anyone there. Since I was late and by the time i was there i had already forgotten what i was supposed to look for. But if you have seen a yellow f650 wiih a shaky rider, that was me.:oops:

It wasn't total loss though, I loved riding 373. pretty place, will go again riding there sometime (not to red river!).

Ben

Ben, it's a shame we didn't see you. I could have pointed you to some of the main roads in the place and that would have been a little easier on the Beemer.

No biggie, you tried and that's all that matters.

Ok, ok, the "blue submarine" story as told by pictures...

252692915_jEkxU-M.jpg

252692930_de3wh-M.jpg

252692948_cSvBq-M.jpg

252692968_daGDh-M.jpg

252692990_nrLLw-M.jpg

252693198_RPxt7-M.jpg

252691685_LvHqz-M.jpg

252691666_Vs97r-M.jpg

My day started like this

252692083_Xucam-M.jpg

Out here

252692123_eKzvp-M.jpg

My savior

252692162_XaLDY-M.jpg

After an hour of sleep, we headed out

252692210_oURQ9-M.jpg

Got to Red River

252692257_wWxpM-M.jpg

252692302_8UTVL-M.jpg

Gummy worms!

252692354_Yr2xW-M.jpg

It was his first "big" ride on his quad, and he did great - and cute as a button to boot! ;-)

252692385_p6Ct2-M.jpg

Hills and sand, sand and hills.

252692444_k4tvg-M.jpg

A famous barn

252692503_SgwmP-M.jpg

I was shown an infamous hill

252692809_zqN8Y-M.jpg

Father and son

252692856_GW2GZ-M.jpg

252692892_GTLUh-M.jpg

Photojojo left his posse long enough to come help out with the WR

252691645_xuN7T-M.jpg

While the men cleared the flooded submarine, I got to play with the Katoom sans-clutch

252691711_MgU9o-M.jpg

252691749_QUJME-M.jpg

I almost followed him into the water hole on Ed29's little xr80 :rider:

it was awesome. a great day.:mrgreen:

Now THAT's a water crossing :doh:

It went something like this....

Hmmmm, water.. no big deal just a nice ride through it.:rider: Uh oh, it's getting a tad deep.:doh: Uh oh... water isn't supposed to be going over the headlight...:eek2: Yep, the bike ain't moving and it's starting to take in water through the intake...:giveup:

Update on the WR, it is running, has good compression, but the oil was milky as heck. I changed it once already, but now the air filter glue let go while I was washing it so I'm waiting on a replacement from Thumpertalk to get here before I go much further. But it runs, and I have a feeling that a few more cycles of oil in it, then we will be good as new. Now on Wednesday I have to pull the rear wheel, and swingarm and check bearings in both. I want to be ready to roll for the ride the rio trip.

Well... long story short... I should have went left, but instead I went right. Then the next thing I knew, water was coming up over the front fender and number plate and then it all went downhill from there. But trust me, the pics tell the whole story. I think once she posts them up I might just have a new avatar.

and your screen name to Water-Lilly

Water-Lilly

Has a nice ring to it!:rofl:

Looks like a fun ride! Thanks for sharing.:clap:

That Xr400 is a beastly little bike, but shouldn't you call it something besides "Temlpeton"?:lol2:

Make sure to pull the stator cover and dry that out. If it rusts you'll be buying a new stator.

Did you bury your wheel trying to get out or was the hole that deep? My guess is if the hole was that deep you can thank the quadtards for sittin-n-spinnin right there and digging the hole.

The hole is deep enough to sink two quads at one time. Don't ask how I know..lets just say that the water was cold.

Did you bury your wheel trying to get out or was the hole that deep? My guess is if the hole was that deep you can thank the quadtards for sittin-n-spinnin right there and digging the hole.

The whole was deep enough to come up to the gas tank and then the rear wheel wouldn't propel me forward any more, it just dug in. That's when I killed the motor because I knew there was no getting out of it.

Well, we didn't run across any of you guys out there, but we had fun too!

Glad to see that the WR is back alive. That looked nasty.

Here's a few of our pictures from the day...

Dave and Bill D.

dave-bill.jpg

A friend showed up on (in?) his Ural. I was amazed on where he was able to take that thing out there!

ural_2.jpg

ural_gear.jpg

ural_1.jpg

A climb way back in the woods somewhere. The dust just hung in the air. Not a lot of breeze back there.

Bill Dragoo went first on his KLX250 (331cc). He made it look easy.

bill_climb_2.jpg

bill_climb_3.jpg

Nate on his XR400R. He almost looped it at the top, but rode it back into submission.

nath_climb_2.jpg

nath_climb_3.jpg

The whole crew taking a break and checking out the descent.

break.jpg

Bill and I climbed this ridge and then turned around to see where Nate was. You can see him behind Bill's front fender at the bottom of the ridge.

hill_1.jpg

Your fearless photographer.

me.jpg

GPS tracks for the day.

tracks.jpg

We all had a blast any made it home with no major damage to man or machine. Great day for riding!

FYI, my bike is now being sold to Danny Roth. I think it fits his riding "style" better than mine.;-)

So after we got new tires for Becca and she was on here way.. I took the air box off the quad and this is what I found..

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j125/stinky93071/?action=view&current=full.jpg

I pulled the plug and about 1/2 a gal of water came out.. The air filter was still dry but I didn't have much more room.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j125/stinky93071/?action=view&current=driveway.jpg

I think Nathans quad might take some work mine will be good with an oil change

For those wondering why we went in the water at all.. 99.9% of the water out there is no more then 1 foot deep. This spot was 3+ and 6 Ft round. Just out of nowhere..

Just an FYI, it make take more than an oil change. I'm on oil change number 3 and it's still coming out milky.

I was out there about a month ago on my quad and I hit the same hole. I was riding in 6 inches of water than all of the sudden water coming over the front racks. I made it through without an event but my quad sits taller than the warrior (I used to have a warrior).

Bill, I think you Strom would have made it through, your panniers would have floated you right through it.

Now Bill, why couldn't you have done something like that in East Texas so that I could have seen it?

I did something similar up there on my DR350 many years ago. Mine never stopped running, but the end of the muffler was under water and it took 2 4wd 4 wheelers to pull it out.

Back